Last night on the cruise

Usually ready to go home so not emotional. But leaving Vegas gets me everytime. Walking down that long hallway rolling the suitcase, getting off the elevator and seeing people waiting to get on and just starting their vacation makes me want to cry. Then sitting at the airport waiting for that announcement that the flight is cancelled so I can stay just one more day🤣😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crooooze said:

So yeah, that cheesy John Denver parody on the last night in the MDR does bring tears to my eyes. LOL

Ok showing my age but I didn't even know John Denver sang that..even knowing John Denver sang it would show my age since I am sure my kids have no idea who that was. Peter Paul and Mary were the originals! ( ps..I am usually ready to get home, but will admit hearing that on the last night makes me tear up a bit)

• Like 1

I once found it a bit touching. These days though I'm more excited about the next days stop at the Waffle House in LaPlace on the way home and having my first real breakfast in a week.

Real bacon cooked as it should be. Real hashbrowns cooked as they should be; real eggs fried over easy as they should be; real toasted bread still hot as it should be; etc.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, pinto18 said:

Ok showing my age but I didn't even know John Denver sang that..even knowing John Denver sang it would show my age since I am sure my kids have no idea who that was. Peter Paul and Mary were the originals! 

"Leaving on a Jet Plane" is a song written and recorded by singer-songwriter John Denver[1] in 1966, originally included on his debut demo recording John Denver Sings as "Babe I Hate To Go". He made several copies and gave them out as presents for Christmas of that year.[2] Denver's then producer Milt Okun convinced him to change the title and was renamed "Leaving on a Jet Plane" in 1967.

In 1969, simultaneous to the success of the Peter, Paul and Mary version, Denver recorded the song again for his debut studio album, Rhymes & Reasons, and it was released as a single in October 1969 through RCA Records.[3] Although it is one of John Denver's best known songs, his single failed to enter the charts.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, icft said:

I once found it a bit touching. These days though I'm more excited about the next days stop at the Waffle House in LaPlace on the way home and having my first real breakfast in a week.

Real bacon cooked as it should be. Real hashbrowns cooked as they should be; real eggs fried over easy as they should be; real toasted bread still hot as it should be; etc.....

Ooof, tough crowd...

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Usually ready to go home so not emotional. But leaving Vegas gets me everytime. Walking down that long hallway rolling the suitcase, getting off the elevator and seeing people waiting to get on and just starting their vacation makes me want to cry. Then sitting at the airport waiting for that announcement that the flight is cancelled so I can stay just one more day🤣😂

Book Southwest and Vegas will give you reasonable odds! 

• Haha 2

On 3/2/2023 at 8:06 PM, slavigne5577 said:

I wish I could cruise forever. Hate leaving the ship.

Yes, slavigne5577, I'm the same.  I love cruising and the last night in the MDR, enjoying one last great dining experience, a final "goodbye" with our wonderful servers, and singing along that farewell song is always such a realization that it is our last night aboard ship.   Also, I am wondering if I am the only that still gets emotional driving up to the ship on embarkation day.   Every time . . . I still get emotional seeing that distinctive red funnel, knowing we'll soon go aboard to cruise.  Each and every time . . . and I hope I will always enjoy and look forward to the experience of cruising.

Happy cruising everyone.   

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 7:31 PM, crooooze said:

The last night gives me anxiety - not because the cruise is over, but because of anticipation of the next morning’s hell. 

Let’s reminisce. Wake up at dark-thirty. Join a very packed lido buffet, where there are no available tables and everyone is sad or tense. Head to the lounge, theatre, or where ever you’re supposed to wait for your time to disembark. But you can’t get in because hundreds of people parked their butts at the door with their huge carry-ons. You’re waiting what seems like an eternity for your number to be called, only to realize there’s no announcements that can be heard where you’re sitting. So you’re forced to squeeze by the same crowded door so you can hear through the hall. Then you get the call to exit… and join the long winding parade to get off the ship. Lines of people coming from every angle, seemingly cutting the line in front of you.  Fun squad staff yelling for everyone to have their sign & sail cards out. Your toes run over by someone pushing wheelie luggage in a zig-zag motion. Get to the final gangway and the large family in front of you now frantically looking through all their baggage for their sign & sail cards. Then the hassle of finding your luggage in the terminal, and waiting in the long winding line to get through customs & immigration. Upon exiting the building, you’re looking for a clue of where to catch the airport shuttle.  But everything is obscured by thousands of people. Half debarking and waiting to rides. And the other half are embarking the next cruise, but loitering around 2 hours earlier than their 10:30 arrival time. Then there’s all the fun at the airport.

So yeah, that cheesy John Denver parody on the last night in the MDR does bring tears to my eyes. LOL

But we do it over and over so I guess it’s worth it.

Yep.  That sums it up perfectly.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 8:31 PM, crooooze said:

The last night gives me anxiety - not because the cruise is over, but because of anticipation of the next morning’s hell. 

Let’s reminisce. Wake up at dark-thirty. Join a very packed lido buffet, where there are no available tables and everyone is sad or tense. Head to the lounge, theatre, or where ever you’re supposed to wait for your time to disembark. But you can’t get in because hundreds of people parked their butts at the door with their huge carry-ons. You’re waiting what seems like an eternity for your number to be called, only to realize there’s no announcements that can be heard where you’re sitting. So you’re forced to squeeze by the same crowded door so you can hear through the hall. Then you get the call to exit… and join the long winding parade to get off the ship. Lines of people coming from every angle, seemingly cutting the line in front of you.  Fun squad staff yelling for everyone to have their sign & sail cards out. Your toes run over by someone pushing wheelie luggage in a zig-zag motion. Get to the final gangway and the large family in front of you now frantically looking through all their baggage for their sign & sail cards. Then the hassle of finding your luggage in the terminal, and waiting in the long winding line to get through customs & immigration. Upon exiting the building, you’re looking for a clue of where to catch the airport shuttle.  But everything is obscured by thousands of people. Half debarking and waiting to rides. And the other half are embarking the next cruise, but loitering around 2 hours earlier than their 10:30 arrival time. Then there’s all the fun at the airport.

But we do it over and over so I guess it’s worth it.

A benefit to living in Florida.  Just stay on the ship until they make you leave, lol.  I've never actually done that though bc I am ALWAYS in a rush!  The one time I sailed from a port 35 mins from my home, I was just in a hurry to get home safe bc I was sooo hungover 😞  The next cruise after that I packed our bags before dinner and went to bed early, lol.  But we are finally sailing out of JAX again in June, and I plan to just linger around until the crowds die down.

15 minutes ago, dlphn501 said:

A benefit to living in Florida.  Just stay on the ship until they make you leave, lol.  I've never actually done that though bc I am ALWAYS in a rush!  The one time I sailed from a port 35 mins from my home, I was just in a hurry to get home safe bc I was sooo hungover 😞  The next cruise after that I packed our bags before dinner and went to bed early, lol.  But we are finally sailing out of JAX again in June, and I plan to just linger around until the crowds die down.

I'm thinking the same thing when we cruise out of Charleston.  Chill and have some coffee and snacks till the crowd mellows down.  Then I made reservations at a favorite restaurant for brunch, 10 minutes from the port.  Yay!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dlphn501 said:

A benefit to living in Florida.  Just stay on the ship until they make you leave, lol.  

I've never been one to stick around on debarkation day because me it feels like trying to stay at a restaurant when they're putting the chairs up on the tables.  They clearly want you out, not because they're mean but because they have a job to do.... and they're going to give you an increasing number of stronger hints as time goes on.