How Much Cash to Bring to UK

We're doing a 12-day British Isles cruise with a stop in Normandy in July. We're also spending four nights in London pre-cruise. While I plan on using cards for most expenditures, I'm trying to determine how much cash in pounds to bring for tips and other more minor expenses.

Or is it better to exchange when we arrive instead of here in the US before we leave?

23 minutes ago, markeb said:

Pull pounds from an ATM away from the airport. Start very low, 20-50. Odds are you’ll barely touch them. 

This is what I would do as well.  If you're uncomfortable landing in the UK with zero pounds in hand, then convert a small amount from your local bank before leaving the US.  I would get less than 100 pounds.  You can just get what you need when you need it from ATMs.  Notify both your credit card company and your ATM bank of your overseas travel. 

Obtaining foreign cash in the US seems to be an excessively expensive way to do it. Doing it on the ship is even worse.

Assuming you can get to central London without needing cash (all transportation can be paid by card (some is actually cashless !!) and assuming you'll arrive in central London before about 5pm, there's no need to take any sterling.

Don't exchange at the airport - exchange bureaux and ATMs at airports are great for the entertainment of seeing their exchange rates, but much less amusing if you use them.

If you want to tip a private transfer driver who takes you from the airport, use USD - those drivers are used to being given USD or euros, they collect them over a period and exchange the combined sum at their bank, or with a colleague, or put it by for any up-coming foreign travel. Unfair on a waitress in a non-touristy restaurant, perfectly OK for those who deal with foreign visitors.

Once in central London use your debit card at a bank ATM (check which banks are partners of your own US bank).

If you used a credit card for cash, clear your balance soonest rather than waiting for the statement - interest is charged daily from when the cash is dispensed.

All of the above might be considered overkill for the amount of cash that you'll need, 'cos about £20 is enough for starters - an you may not need to use any. 

-------------------------

Now's a good time to check whether your credit card issuer charges a fee for foreign currency transactions, and if it does then consider adding a  card which doesn't.

The exchange rate used by credit card issuers can't be beaten, it's only a smidgeon over the wholesale rate. 

Ensure that when you use your card it's charged in local currency - merchants who convert "for your convenience"🙄 do so at rates which are good for them, bad for you. It's also easy to check that the charge to your card is the same as the price sticker or menu.

Do not rely on Amex or Diner's, they're not so widely accepted - Visa and Mastercard are king.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

While I plan on using cards for most expenditures, I'm trying to determine how much cash in pounds to bring for tips and other more minor expenses.

You will find that much tipping (eg restaurants) can be done on the card anyway, so you don't need cash for it. Since the pandemic started, I'm often not using any cash at all for many months on end - and I often don't carry any cash with me. It's harder to find a place that won't take cards than it is to find a place that won't take cash - there are very many places that are now completely cashless.

I agree that £20 is all you need for starters. £100 is wild overkill, and you will find yourself either taking the bulk of it home, or having to manufacture excuses to spend it.

• Haha 1

Yes, London is increasingly becoming cashless these days. You can’t use cash at all on buses and if you use it at ticket machines on the tube you’ll pay two or three times more than you would if you “tap in” and “tap out” with a contactless card or with Apple/Google Pay on your phone.

As mentioned above, in restaurants the service charge is often added on automatically and the whole bill can be paid by card. Additional tips are NOT required or expected unless the bill clearly states “service not included”. 

You might want to tip cab drivers but if you use Uber, again that’s all cashless on the app.

Edited by gumshoe958

Great information - thanks all!

I didn't know that about Visa being accepted more than Amex. I had planned to use Amex but will bring the Visa as well.

Edited by ricka47

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

Great information - thanks all!

I didn't know that about Visa being accepted more than Amex. I had planned to use Amex but will bring the Visa as well.

Amex in central London? Probably

Amex elsewhere in the UK or in France? Probably not.

Visa & Mastercard? In places where a card is acceptable, Visa & Mastercard are always acceptable.

JB 🙂

Visa will be accepted just about everywhere. To confirm what others have said, the UK has become almost cashless since the pandemic. Tips in restaurants and taxis can generally be paid by card. I would probably have a very small amount of cash for tips for tour guides, but otherwise you will be able to pay for pretty much everything on card. In fact, most places will prefer contactless card payment for even the smallest purchases. 

I genuinely can't remember the last time I used cash in the UK 

58 minutes ago, Simon-t said:

Visa will be accepted just about everywhere. To confirm what others have said, the UK has become almost cashless since the pandemic. Tips in restaurants and taxis can generally be paid by card. I would probably have a very small amount of cash for tips for tour guides, but otherwise you will be able to pay for pretty much everything on card. In fact, most places will prefer contactless card payment for even the smallest purchases. 

I genuinely can't remember the last time I used cash in the UK 

Same in the U.S. I have the same $20 bill sitting in my wallet for almost a year now!

18 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

You might want to tip cab drivers but if you use Uber, again that’s all cashless on the app.

16 hours ago, Simon-t said:

Tips in restaurants and taxis can generally be paid by card.

So far as London taxis are concerned (proper licensed taxis aka "black cabs", as opposed to private hire cars aka "minicabs" which include Ubers), they are now required to accept card payment. In the usual way for businesses that like tips, cabbies' card machines are set up to allow you to add on a tip amount easily before you pay.

I have mentioned before the recent (and not uncommon) phenomenon of black cabs' "negative tips" - drivers who insist on taking less money than is actually showing on the meter. That makes the whole tipping question redundant anyway.

The only time I ever use cash here is to pay the milkman when he delivers. He is a very elderly, traditional farmer and I can’t see him ever going contactless😂 I would have some cash available for emergencies just in case though. On occasions you can go in somewhere and the card machine isn’t working. I agree that £20-50 is about right.

With regards to AMEX, definitely bring another credit card too. AMEX is our credit card of choice as we have a good connected points system, but even some major retailers here don’t take it. In local cafes and small businesses AMEX is not usually accepted. Something to do with the exorbitant charges for the retailer so I’m told. 

Visa/Mastercard are much more widely accepted. And forget AMEX for the continent. Very few places accept it. 

Have a great trip😀

2 hours ago, silkismom said:

Do taxis in Southampton accept credit cards too?

The proportion who do has grown steadily.

Those who don't are surely now rare birds, but best to check with the driver when booking or when hailing in the street.

JB 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 1:49 AM, John Bull said:

The proportion who do has grown steadily.

Those who don't are surely now rare birds, but best to check with the driver when booking or when hailing in the street.

JB 🙂

Not really cruise related, but our plumber came and did a small job for us yesterday. On completion,  out came his card reader, and whoosh, payment made. No cash or cheques for him,  and bank transfers only for significant sums of money. 

• 4 weeks later...

We are transferring from LHR to London, but already pre-paid a Black Taxi tour company. We are also doing a tour with them the next day, also pre-paid. What do we do about a tip? Should we use cash for that, since we have already paid? And is USD OK, as mentioned above? Also, what is the rate for tipping for a transfer, and for the 4 hour tour?