Getting into Stanley in Falkland Islands

Mocamps

Hi all,

I desperately need some help in deciding whether or not we should book another Silversea cruise to the South Atlantic!

In 2018 we had a memorable and definitely 'bucket list' trip to Antarctic. It included the Falkland Islands but sadly we were unable to get into Stanley due to the sea conditions on that day. My husband was really disappointed because, as he is ex-RAF, he knew a number of people who were involved in the Falklands conflict and, sadly, had a couple of friends who didn't return. So Stanley is still very definitely on our list of places to go.

For me, I have read so much about South Georgia and am fascinated by its history. I really enjoyed the Antarctic trip and just know I will love South Georgia. So we are looking at a cruise that includes both the Falklands and South Georgia. My husband is worried that we could go all that way again and still not get into Stanley so he asked me if I could find out how often cruises are unsuccessful at getting into that port.

Can anyone help please? Either positive or negative experiences will assist our decision.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

We’ve been twice and landed both times, but as you are aware it is weather dependent, so there are no guarantees.

Then there is the opposite experience (two trips, and 0 landings)

I read somewhere on CC that there is about a 50:50 chance (but have no idea how accurate that stat is)

• Like 1

We landed in @Stanley in March 2020 and enjoyed hiking Gypsy Cove. in 5 days again board the Silver Cloud for Puerto williams to Mahe. We will again have two days and three ports at the Falklands including Stanley. The tremendous magnetic draw of South Georgia wildlife (hundreds of thousands of king penguins) and the chance again to have a whiskey at the grave of Sir Earnest Shackleton in Gritviken drew me back

Edited by WesW
  • Thanks 1

In view of your husband's desire's you should book it. more likely to miss a day in South Georgia.

I found an old  Trip advisor report (2004) that said most passenger ships are able to land their pax in Stanley. Of those who didn't when expected several were because they were behind schedule.

Edited by drron29

We were on the Cloud in December and made all our landings in the Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica (got very lucky). South Georgia was the absolute highlight of our trip so even in the very unfortunate chance that you don't get to Stanley again IMO you would still really enjoy South Georgia (assuming you like penguins and seals all around you!)

A few thoughts here.  We once went to the Falklands on the Island Sky, a small ship with about 50 cabins, so we were able to come alongside in the inner harbour and simply walk down the steps to the pier. In the Silversea fleet I think only the Explorer could do this.  Not sure about the Endeavour. All other ships, including the Cloud, will anchor in the outer harbour which is where the weather can play a significant role in whether you land or not. A lot also depends on other ships in port, so before you book it's worth checking on CruiseTimetables to see if any big ships are expected that day.  (Expedition ships, such as the Cloud and Endeavour, are not listed in CruiseTimetables.)  Any ship with zodiacs will get people ashore on the spectacular outer islands but I do appreciate that people interested in the Falklands War etc will want to visit Stanley and environs. 

Ironically, South Georgia is probably easier as far as landings are concerned.  I remember our Captain said he has never failed to land passengers at Grytviken, though places like Salisbury Plain can be a challenge due to the deeply shelving beach.  That doesn't seem to faze the penguins.  

13 hours ago, Mocamps said:

Hi all,

I desperately need some help in deciding whether or not we should book another Silversea cruise to the South Atlantic!

In 2018 we had a memorable and definitely 'bucket list' trip to Antarctic. It included the Falkland Islands but sadly we were unable to get into Stanley due to the sea conditions on that day. My husband was really disappointed because, as he is ex-RAF, he knew a number of people who were involved in the Falklands conflict and, sadly, had a couple of friends who didn't return. So Stanley is still very definitely on our list of places to go.

For me, I have read so much about South Georgia and am fascinated by its history. I really enjoyed the Antarctic trip and just know I will love South Georgia. So we are looking at a cruise that includes both the Falklands and South Georgia. My husband is worried that we could go all that way again and still not get into Stanley so he asked me if I could find out how often cruises are unsuccessful at getting into that port.

Can anyone help please? Either positive or negative experiences will assist our decision.

Aloha. We were blessed to visit the Falklands and see the penguins which our daughter loved. The people were gracious. My parents took a similar voyage not long after and unfortunately could not visit. It is truly hit or miss and luck.

Thank you everyone for all the very prompt responses. Very helpful and much appreciated.

So we've made a decision to go ahead and have booked!! So excited but have now got to wait for a year!!  I will start a roll call though I know that SS roll calls are notoriously poorly frequented!

• Like 1

And then there is the alternative. Friends of mine were on the HA cruise ~2005 when 964 passengers and crew spent the night in Port Stanley (then population ~2000), when the weather changed and the tenders were unable to operate to bring people back from shore.

9 hours ago, Mocamps said:

Thank you everyone for all the very prompt responses. Very helpful and much appreciated.

So we've made a decision to go ahead and have booked!! So excited but have now got to wait for a year!!  I will start a roll call though I know that SS roll calls are notoriously poorly frequented!

Have a wonderful cruise!

A roll call doesn't hurt, but you are right about poor attendance on SS roll calls.  It is not just on SS but on all small ships (which are usually luxury ships).  It is because there are simply very few people on that voyage to begin with (given the ship is small), and in that group of a small starting n, there are even fewer who are on CC AND  who are willing to expose their identities in order to try and save a few dollars on excursions, and/or to participate in a special get-together.  They would rather just pay full price for their own private excursion and then, if they are indeed social people, get to know people directly on the ship, thus picking and choosing who knows who they are.

It is kind of a shame, but understandable. I looked at a roll call on a mainstream line recently and there were close to 100 people! All were excited to share discussion of their upcoming voyage and help each other out in planning , but then unfortunately (but predictably) an unpleasant argument started between a couple of the participants which led to the equivalent of name-calling and a nasty back and forth before other people told them to knock it off.

7 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Have a wonderful cruise!

A roll call doesn't hurt, but you are right about poor attendance on SS roll calls.  It is not just on SS but on all small ships (which are usually luxury ships).  It is because there are simply very few people on that voyage to begin with (given the ship is small), and in that group of a small starting n, there are even fewer who are on CC AND  who are willing to expose their identities in order to try and save a few dollars on excursions, and/or to participate in a special get-together.  They would rather just pay full price for their own private excursion and then, if they are indeed social people, get to know people directly on the ship, thus picking and choosing who knows who they are.

It is kind of a shame, but understandable. I looked at a roll call on a mainstream line recently and there were close to 100 people! All were excited to share discussion of their upcoming voyage and help each other out in planning , but then unfortunately (but predictably) an unpleasant argument started between a couple of the participants which led to the equivalent of name-calling and a nasty back and forth before other people told them to knock it off.

I’m sort of in agreeance. We only attended one roll call and there weren’t many there. We met a few really lovely people but rarely bumped into them again. You tend to make friends onboard with people with similar interests who seem to be doing similar things at similar times. Similar excursions, similar dining and mostly finding the best spot for some great company and a late night boogie. Just go with the flow and look forward to all of the people you’ll meet unexpectedly and make lasting friendships with. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m sort of in agreeance. We only attended one roll call and there weren’t many there. We met a few really lovely people but rarely bumped into them again. You tend to make friends onboard with people with similar interests who seem to be doing similar things at similar times. Similar excursions, similar dining and mostly finding the best spot for some great company and a late night boogie. Just go with the flow and look forward to all of the people you’ll meet unexpectedly and make lasting friendships with. 

Agreed -- though I can't do "late night boogie" anymore (too much arthritis) 🙂 🙁

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Don’t you find the more you move the easier it gets?

Unfortunately, not with my type of problem (it either gets worse or becomes physically impossible).  I'm just happy when I can get in and out of a Zodiak.

Though I do like watching others "boogie",  --  sometimes complete with hearing aids and orthopedic shoes! It is inspiring.

20 hours ago, Fletcher said:

A few thoughts here.  We once went to the Falklands on the Island Sky, a small ship with about 50 cabins, so we were able to come alongside in the inner harbour and simply walk down the steps to the pier. In the Silversea fleet I think only the Explorer could do this.  Not sure about the Endeavour. All other ships, including the Cloud, will anchor in the outer harbour which is where the weather can play a significant role in whether you land or not. A lot also depends on other ships in port, so before you book it's worth checking on CruiseTimetables to see if any big ships are expected that day.  (Expedition ships, such as the Cloud and Endeavour, are not listed in CruiseTimetables.)  Any ship with zodiacs will get people ashore on the spectacular outer islands but I do appreciate that people interested in the Falklands War etc will want to visit Stanley and environs. 

Ironically, South Georgia is probably easier as far as landings are concerned.  I remember our Captain said he has never failed to land passengers at Grytviken, though places like Salisbury Plain can be a challenge due to the deeply shelving beach.  That doesn't seem to faze the penguins.  

I was about to suggest that OP consider Noble Caledonia for the Falklands, not even knowing this about how their ships can get right in to dock – because as a UK cruise line their captains have a strong determination to get to the Falklands whenever physically possible.  

[Silversea fans might even recognize their ships, as Hebridean Sky and Island Sky are sister ships to the former Silver Galapagos – from the original generation of Renaissance ships from the 1990s, prior to the second-generation 'R-ships' from the 2000s that are now sailing for Azamara and Oceania.]

You see, these last few posts are actually what I LIKE about the roll calls!! With the only difference being that you're all looking forward to the same cruise! And you're often stressing about the same things - what to pack, entry requirements, weather etc etc. Before our Antarctic trip I found it invaluable looking at Antarctic-specific posts with regard to wet landings, boot rental, merino wool undergarments and so on!! 

I have actually NEVER attended a gathering onboard the ship as I totally agree that once you're on board you tend to chat to everyone - especially on a small ship and you don't NEED a Cruise Critic roll call.

For me, it's all about the planning!!

I find we don't, in fact, chat with everyone, so when we had a SS FB gathering on our recent Cloud cruise, it was nice to meet about a dozen passengers we might not have otherwise chatted with. 🙂

@Mocamps In terms of the Falklands, does your cruise have more than the day in Port Stanley? We had two days in the Falklands on our recent cruise, and the day other than Port Stanley was the real eye-opener to me: two landings on New Island and West Point Island which were outstanding. Port Stanley was okay, for the war history, but the two landings on the outer islands were the highlight of our visit here. (I understand that someone who was invested in the war might find the history more compelling than we did.)

On 3/3/2023 at 8:26 AM, Mocamps said:

You will have a blast. While I always enjoy reading threads on Cruise Critic, the other place (something about a face and something to read) has SO MUCH MORE -- whole files dedicated to just cruising Antarctica on Silversea. I do recommend you frequent both sites.

12 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I find we don't, in fact, chat with everyone, so when we had a SS FB gathering on our recent Cloud cruise, it was nice to meet about a dozen passengers we might not have otherwise chatted with. 🙂

@Mocamps In terms of the Falklands, does your cruise have more than the day in Port Stanley? We had two days in the Falklands on our recent cruise, and the day other than Port Stanley was the real eye-opener to me: two landings on New Island and West Point Island which were outstanding. Port Stanley was okay, for the war history, but the two landings on the outer islands were the highlight of our visit here. (I understand that someone who was invested in the war might find the history more compelling than we did.)

Yes, it does have 2 days on other islands. And our previous cruise also went to these islands and I totally agree.........it was absolutely fascinating to see how people live with just a few of them on one island!! In one case it was just one family which I cannot begin to imagine!!  And I am definitely looking forward to going back to these islands. But my husband has a personal connection with Port Stanley and the battlefields so he is particularly keen to go there. For me, South Georgia is the big attraction of this cruise.

@Mocamps As Americans who had a distant memory of the war, we found it interesting to learn more about the history of the Falklands conflict. One of the expedition staff did a lecture on the history of the Falklands which was outstanding; it seemed like a semester of college history in the geopolitics of South America crammed into 50 minutes! The battlefields tour we did in Port Stanley was mildly interesting, but the onboard lecture provided a deeper understanding of the history leading up to the war. (Obviously, the lecturer onboard and the tour guide on your specific bus will vary, so you may have a different experience.) In terms of the bus tour, it basically showed us the topography of the British assault to capture Stanley, but not a lot more. The bus tour guide was a Falklands native who lived through the war there, so it was very interesting getting his perspective about how the locals felt, how they dealt with the Argentinians, and their expectations of the British. There is one place where they stop that you can see some scattered remains of a destroyed helicopter, and another that's a monument to the fallen, but that's about it. (I understand this may be more meaningful to someone who knew participants in the war.)

And yes, South Georgia will be the highlight of your cruise! 😀