Cell coverage while on S.F. to Mexico Cruise

MikeS1971

I'm going on my first cruise with my wife in April from San Francisco to Mexico. For those of you that have taken this cruise or similar, I'm curious if I'll have a working cell signal while on board. I'm with Verizon. I'm not sure how far off the coast the ship is while at sea. All I really care about is being able to send/receive texts and possibly calls. Not worried about data. While I was in Hawaii I took a deep sea fishing trip off the Big Island and had cell coverage way out to sea. I'm hoping the same goes for our cruise.

Thank you. 

If you're talking cell service for making or accepting incoming calls, or sending and receiving text messages..... Then you should be a okay with Wi-Fi calling as that will work as long as you're hooked up to the ship's Wi-Fi with the paid internet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MikeS1971 said:

I'm going on my first cruise with my wife in April from San Francisco to Mexico. For those of you that have taken this cruise or similar, I'm curious if I'll have a working cell signal while on board. I'm with Verizon. I'm not sure how far off the coast the ship is while at sea. All I really care about is being able to send/receive texts and possibly calls. Not worried about data. While I was in Hawaii I took a deep sea fishing trip off the Big Island and had cell coverage way out to sea. I'm hoping the same goes for our cruise.

Thank you. 

Put your phone in airplane mode while on the ship. If you don't , youll get a bill in the $100's of dollars.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MikeS1971 said:

Thank you. 

If you have the ship’s WI-FI internet then you’ll be able to receive phone calls and texts. We’ve done 2 cruises from SF to Mexico in the last 4 months.

30 minutes ago, MikeS1971 said:

Thank you. 

WHATSAPP.

• Like 2

I agree with everyone so far

I have Verizon and have not been able to get signal when cruise off the California coast despite being able to see the coastline from the ship.  If you have your alert settings set on "high" and have not set your phone into Airplane Mode, Verizon will send you an automated text as soon as you pass the last buoy into the Pacific Ocean, stating that you can purchase the International Plan for $20 for every 50MB of data used, $2.99 per minute phone calls, and $0.50 per text sent/received.  Can't vouch on how good the signal is because I've never used it; it's expensive for what it is and 50MB is only 1 webpage now a days because they are so graphics intensive.  The link below is outlines this service.

https://www.verizon.com/articles/verizon-unlimited-plans/4-ways-to-stay-connected-on-a-cruise-ship/

Better off using the ships wi-fi.  Just make sure you have the option of wi-fi calling in your plan, if you plan on making calls.  However, this isn't surefire either because it's all dependent on how fast the  MedallionNet speed is at any given moment.  

If you have an iPhone, you'll be able to send/receive texts using the iMessage since this platform works with both wi-fi and cellular data. 

If you have Android, make sure to download (and tell the people you want to message) to download a messaging app that is wi-fi compatible like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.

While in Mexico last we, we got a message from Verizon that Mexico was a non-roaming area, so no additional charges there. But only in port, nothing offshore.

Edited by pmallen

If you turn your cell phone on while on the ship at sea, it will say "cell at sea" or something like that and you will be tied into the ship's cell tower.  It is not cheap so if you don't have your phone on airplane mode expect your next cell bill to be in the $100's.  They bill through your provider.  

5 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

While this method requires a lot of string, I find it quite effective on cruises. The limiting factor is it’s really only useful when calling one number. 

71249133-7776-4BBF-AEBF-CFF87C9831A5.jpeg

No bueno if the string gets wet!

We live in Puerto Vallarta (for part of the year) we get excellent cell service (T-Mobile) as part of our regular cell plan (no extra fees).  Some other cell providers also have free service in Mexico and others (likely Verizon) charge extra fees.  Mexico generally has two excellent cell providers (Telmex and Movistar).  When on ships you should get shore-based cell service when your ship gets to within a few miles of a port.  

Hank

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We live in Puerto Vallarta (for part of the year) we get excellent cell service (T-Mobile) as part of our regular cell plan (no extra fees).  Some other cell providers also have free service in Mexico and others (likely Verizon) charge extra fees.  Mexico generally has two excellent cell providers (Telmex and Movistar).  When on ships you should get shore-based cell service when your ship gets to within a few miles of a port.  

Hank

Last week, Verizon service PV amd Huatulco was free.

1 minute ago, pmallen said:

Last week, Verizon service PV amd Huatulco was free.

Here is Verizon's published policy:

How will I be charged for using my device when I travel abroad?

How you're charged depends on whether or not you add an international plan to your account for your trip.

• Our international plans let you use your phone in more than 210 countries and destinations outside the US:
    • TravelPass: For $5/day in Canada and Mexico* and $10/day in other countries, you can use your domestic plan's talk, text and data allowances just like you do at home. And you're only charged for days that you use your phone. Learn more by visiting our TravelPass FAQs.
    • $100 International Monthly Plan: Ideal for trips of 10 days or more. Get unlimited data* and texts and 250 minutes for international use; *20 GB of high speed data and unlimited data at 3G speeds thereafter. You can choose to have the allowance expire after 1 month or have the plan renew every month until you remove it from your account.
    • $20 International Monthly Plan: This plan for international cruise ship and airplane travel gives you 50 MB of data for use while on board select ships and airplanes.

For coverage and pricing details, visit our International Travel page.

Important:

• If you don't choose an international plan you'll pay per minute, per text and per MB of data used (called Pay as You Go) when you're abroad. Learn more on our International Travel page.
  • Some of our domestic plans* already include talk, text and data while in Canada and Mexico.** (Calls from the US to Canada and Mexico are also included for no extra cost). These include:
    • 5G Get More Unlimited, 5G Play More Unlimited, 5G Do More Unlimited, 5G Start Unlimited and Welcome Unlimited
  • TravelPass and our Monthly International Plan can't be used in non-covered countries, on cruise ships or airplanes.

*High-speed data applies for the first 2 GB/day with 3G reduced speeds thereafter. The daily charge only applies on days you use your service outside of the US, Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
**If more than 50% of your talk, text or data usage in a 60-day period is in Canada or Mexico, use of those services in those countries.