Journey Cruises

The difference is they are longer cruises that go to ports further away that are therefore less frequented by ships sailing from whichever departure port you are using.

For example the Glory out of New Orleans does a 14 day journey cruise that does a partial transit of the Panama Canal. Usually the Glory goes no further south than Roatan, Honduras.

We are doing our first on the Venezia out of NYC (our first time there!) and our first time to Barbados, St Lucia, and Dominica. It’s a 12 day, was wondering about elegant nights, how many and what nights they will be on? And will there be different menus because it’s a Journeys 12 day? It also goes to St Thomas and St Maarten. 

Edited by kona_wahine

1 hour ago, kona_wahine said:

We are doing our first on the Venezia out of NYC (our first time there!) and our first time to Barbados, St Lucia, and Dominica. It’s a 12 day, was wondering about elegant nights, how many and what nights they will be on? And will there be different menus because it’s a Journeys 12 day? It also goes to St Thomas and St Maarten. 

The two Journeys cruises I have taken were each 13 nights and there were 3 elegant nights. And yes, there were different menus each night, or rather I should say they did not repeat menus. They did have the “regular” 7 night menus plus different ones for the additional nights. 

• Like 2

We took our first Journeys cruise last year and in addition to what has already been mentioned, I was pleasantly surprised that there were lunches in the MDR on some of the sea days like there used to be before the sea day brunch. 

Also, since the playlist production cast only do their regular shows, for the extra nights they had a special hour long showcase by someone the brought onboard especially. We had two different singers and both were a mix of songs and story telling. It was a nice change of pace.

• Like 1

I think they also have some different sea day activities.  We took our first Journeys cruise this past October and they had ballroom dancing instructors holding 2 classes per sea day.  It was a lot of fun. 

Guest BasicSailor
On 3/4/2023 at 4:22 PM, packedandready said:

how are they different and what makes them special? 

Special 🤔 Well, there will be no spring breakers, that's for sure.🙃

1 hour ago, ChuckF said:

I think they also have some different sea day activities.  We took our first Journeys cruise this past October and they had ballroom dancing instructors holding 2 classes per sea day.  It was a lot of fun. 

I think I'll pass in favor of the "Keelhauling Experience" activity.

• Haha 1

I love the journey cruises, currently have 3 more booked, to Alaska, Hawaii and the Panama canal. in addition to a couple short 5 day cruises just for the fun with friends. Love the atmosphere on the ship and usually a couple extra sea days. The older I get the more I want to travel to relax and see different lands rather than party and have fun. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 6:23 PM, kona_wahine said:

You will still have 2 elegant nights plus one "throwback" formal evening.  If you were to add that up, it's a total of 3 elegant nights.

• Like 1

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

txcruiser1234 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

just back from a 14 day Miracle to Hawaii Journeys cruise... probably our best cruise yet...

noticeable differences from regular carnival cruises (in no particular order)...

1) an onboard naturalist who did 8 different talks. they were also recorded and shown in a loop on a cabin tv channel if you could not make them in person. the naturalist also did almost daily nature watches in the morning and stargazing (weather permitting at nights)

2) new MDR menus we had not had before as no night was a repeat menu. they offered a beef wellington one night that was out-of-this-world good. (probably not a journeys thing, just a long cruise thing)

3) two Hawaiian "ambassadors" were aboard the whole trip and did a bunch of wide ranging cultural classes including Hawaiian language, fresh lei making, cooking and hula dancing (and they performed hula as well in separate sessions)

4) a Hawaiian music duo that performed almost daily

5) progressive ukulele classes that started with and introduction class and progressed in complexity throughout the cruise

6) a progressive shipboard mystery whodunit type of program that started early in the cruise and had several additive sessions throughout the trip

7) besides hula dancing classes, there were 5 or 6 other types of dancing classes including meringue, waltz and a "michael jackson" music dance session

8 ) trivia galore... there must have been 60 different trivia sessions including my favorite - Seinfeld - which I've only seen on one previous journeys cruise

9) a big native Hawaiian show one night in the theater (which we unfortunately missed because we were still in port)

10) lots of different shipboard games we hadn't seen before like champagne bottle ring toss (to win bottles of bubbly) and mechanical frog racing (for st. jude). again, probably more of a long cruise thing and not journeys specific.

11) specialty one-night-only entertainment on non-production show nights including a magician and a broadway singer. we had seen a crooner on a shorter 8 day cruise.

12) a dedicated magician that performed table-side slight of hand throughout the cruise. he made it by our table six or seven nights and performed different tricks every nights. it sounds strange, but he really was one of the memorable highlights of our trip - he was REALLY good - his name was Anoop.

I know I'm forgetting some things.. we made it to less than half of what I listed.. there was almost too much to choose from (in a good way) outside of what we've seen on normal 7 day cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1