PREMIER PASS - I have a new theory. What do you think?

We know that after Richard Fain stepped down as CEO of Royal Caribbean, they named their new CEO:  The former CFO, Jason Liberty.

CFO??? I think that we all knew what was coming.  Sure enough, we have "new" MDR menus, cabin service once a day, cutbacks in C&A amenities................

Did anyone really think that RC wants us to have a "great deal" with this Premier Pass?

So, here's my theory.

Mr. PinchPenny wants to find out the reach of social media.

How much effect does social media have on purchase decisions?

He knew that Cruise Critic and Facebook would light up because of the release of this package at this price.

He wants to analyze the data.  (and possibly cut his losses by ending the promotion, or possibly claiming that it was a mistake and cancelling everything)

Your opinion?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think they are just trying to bring more of a crowd in as they need to pay for these large and expensive ships. By cutting services and lowering costs, you are making the investors (like myself) happier due to stock prices. However there is always that line that you need to cross before a customer gets annoyed, and I believe RCL is testing the waters.

7 minutes ago, njsmom said:

No, that would bring bad press. That wouldn't benefit them, or their stock prices. 

Cancelling everyone's purchase would bring bad press.   The promotion itself says "booked March 10-March 15".  He can just end it there.  No more.  A once in a lifetime opportunity.

And the other changes he has made have brought plenty of bad press.  He seems to have a very thick skin.  😉 

• Like 2

When the Key was first introduced, it was approximately the same price as internet alone. Lots of people jumped on it. It made some noise and kickstarted the Key package. Prices soon went much higher. I can see this being somewhat the same thing.  This new package has more tangible benefits. I can see them honoring the prices. And of course they will analyze the date and watch social media closely to see what the eventual pricing will be. It’s almost definitely the 375ml bottle of bubbly.   The internet, tour, lunch, and other perks really won’t cost them a whole lot. They can afford to sell a lot of these packages now for cheap and then raise the prices very soon.  They get some social media attention which is a win. I think the blog’s write up wouldn’t have been posted and prices mentioned without some sort of back channel official confirmation from Royal. I say we all get to keep our packages but you better book now because the prices will be more realistic very soon. 

• Like 5

Is the internet with Premier Pass the same two devices that would be purchased with the internet package?  Looking at the costs I'm seeing, it would be less expensive for me to purchase the Premier Pass just for internet alone.

• Like 1

And frequent cruisers are very predictable. We all checked every booked cruise and bought every package available. Actually we bought 2 of every available package as a just in case. And who here will be the first to admit to booking an extra cruise just to get the package? 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Cancelling everyone's purchase would bring bad press.   The promotion itself says "booked March 10-March 15".  He can just end it there.  No more.  A once in a lifetime opportunity.

And the other changes he has made have brought plenty of bad press.  He seems to have a very thick skin.  😉 

Everything says "booked March 10- March 15" right now. Look at every excursion or package available. At least for me it does.

No op.  Its simply a case of miscommunication.  The it guy put it in as a per package item instead of per day. Its clear because the internet is per day.  Why would it be the same price for 3 day or 7 day?  

everyone is in denial.  Its a screw up.  The only question is,  will they honor it?

Edited by resetjet
  • Thanks 1

From the Royal Caribbean Blog page, under comments, there are people who actually called RCL. According to the comments, the rep confirmed that this is legit. The person has actually made 2 reservations, one for each guest. Th rep says not necessary as each package covers 2 guests. So the rep offered to cancelled one of the reservation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

This ‘package’ is available on my March 2024 cruise which was booked quite a while ago. It’s offered for $122 CDN..but being a solo, it’s not worth it. And I already receive laundry, internet and a few lunches for no cost.  Oddly, it’s not offered on my August 2023 cruise.  I hear that the champagne is very good..but I’m sure a glass of it is cheaper than $122! 😊

2 hours ago, seapad said:

From the Royal Caribbean Blog page, under comments, there are people who actually called RCL. According to the comments, the rep confirmed that this is legit. The person has actually made 2 reservations, one for each guest. Th rep says not necessary as each package covers 2 guests. So the rep offered to cancelled one of the reservation. 

I think expecting the phone rep to know more than what's currently listed in the computer is as optimistic as expecting the price is correct for services that would be hundreds of dollars individually.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I cant find it listed on any of my cruises. Maybe only certain people got the offer or its pulled?

I didnt look until tonight though as today I was busy flying to miami.

I'd take it for the wifi. And the tour.

Look in your Cruise Planner.  Look at the blue navigation bar.  Look on the far right.  If the last word is Packages, that's it.  Click on it and you will see it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

This ‘package’ is available on my March 2024 cruise which was booked quite a while ago. It’s offered for $122 CDN..but being a solo, it’s not worth it. And I already receive laundry, internet and a few lunches for no cost.  Oddly, it’s not offered on my August 2023 cruise.  I hear that the champagne is very good..but I’m sure a glass of it is cheaper than $122! 😊

So, you are explaining why YOU don't want it.  What's the point of that?

3 hours ago, resetjet said:

No op.  Its simply a case of miscommunication.  The it guy put it in as a per package item instead of per day. Its clear because the internet is per day.  Why would it be the same price for 3 day or 7 day?  

everyone is in denial.  Its a screw up.  The only question is,  will they honor it?

You are like a dog with a bone.

Glitch or no glitch, it was certainly NOT meant to be $89 per day.  That's patently absurd.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, seapad said:

As I mentioned it the other thread, my DIL called C&A D+ desk and confirmed by 2 separate Agents that it is legitimate, and the pricing is for 2.  As a matter of fact, she even got some sort of confirmation that as I booked mine as solo that I can use my Granddaughter as a guest.🤩

At this point whether it will be cancelled or not, at a minimum, it takes our mind off the gratuity, once a day service and the new menu discussions,

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Wilson said:

People this is a glitch!!! The exact same thing happened in July 2021 on the Celebrity site. Every purchase was cancelled and refunded.

It'll be interesting to see. No biggie if it is. We'll just have what we started with, but we had a weekend of excitement!

I do love Vueve Cliquot. I have a bottle of it in my wine rack, waiting for a reason to chill it. I paid $65 at our local wine store. On our recent NCL cruise, it was $30 a glass. We had the premium drink package, tho, so it was included. We had a free bottle with dinner every night. 

Edited by njsmom

2 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Hopefully they cancel it otherwise we may be going to every other day meals and room service to make up for the loss.🤪

hahaha! or riding in the life boats instead of the ship! The only actual cost for them is the champagne, which I'm sure they buy a lot cheaper than the $65 I paid at retail, and the wine at the lunch or whatever it is. The food they'd give you in one form or another for a meal. And then there's the labor for the tour and laundry, which they're already paying people for their time on board, so that's already covered.

• Like 2