Shore Power On Board - Vista

kruzin2010

35 minutes ago, kruzin2010 said:

a mystery to me  then

46 minutes ago, kruzin2010 said:

I can tell you that commissioning (from a sailor’s perspective) means final preparations of a yacht.

53 minutes ago, kruzin2010 said:

One nautical meaning of "commission" is to "start up". The phrase "shore power onboard" verges on being an oxymoron, but may mean one of the following:

Work is being completed to allow the ship to connect to shore power when docked and avoid the use of engines for some of the ship's power needs, or, work is being done to permit the supply of "shore-like" power onboard the ship (i.e. provide power to outlets in some areas of the ship).

My bet would be on the first, but in either case, they appear to be undertaking some final electrical work that needs the services of a major port. Just a guess. 🍺🥌

9 minutes ago, kruzin2010 said:

And yet this is the Aug 4 to 18 voyage.  Should it not already be prepared? 

Probably installed and tested already. However, this may be one of several initial shore side trials, which may show a need for further tweaking.

I'm on this cruise and spoke with Oceania this afternoon.  The phrase "to commission the shore power onboard" refers to the process undertaken to ensure that shore power is compatible with the vessel power. So I asked if that means St. Malo does not have compatible power and was told that the Marine Operations department makes this decision and the person would send an email to get more clarification.  I'm now looking into taking a fast direct train from Southampton Port to London's Waterloo Station (1 hour 20 min ride).  Will update if/when I get more info.  

Thanks bb32.

Not sure I want to go to London, then come back, to head there the next day.  Would make sense to just disembark on the 17th, but then we lose a day….not sure what we will do.  Thanks for the info

While Southampton is not St. Malo, there could be a number of great tours substituted or booked on your own.  London and some Palace tours are not that far away. If you can get a tour to Bath and Stonehenge, definitely do it as they are interesting sights. There are more great sights close bye too. 

The issue of commissioning ship/shore power will impact a lot of Oceania itineraries because the ports will undoubtedly have to confirm proper shore power hook ups in every port of call as they bring that service online.  It is a multi million dollar effort for the ports to keep the ships from burning fuel and adding pollution to their area.  Sustainability is the mantra of the day for all cruise lines.  

Oceania will try to maximize the use of plug in power for itineraries worldwide and ports of call may/will change accordingly. There is tremendous pressure on the cruise lines to be good stewards of our resources and the climate, etc.  Just like being locked out of Venice, Key West, Monterey, New Zealand. We are in Kauai now and I was hearing reports yesterday of the Hawaii focusing on requiring ships to restrain from dumping ballast water in the Hawaiian Islands because it is killing the coral.  They have to prove they are focused on sustainability or face more and more government restrictions. JMHO

Just a little bit of the reality the lines are facing. 
Mauibabes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As for Southampton, we spent a couple of days there before our Oceania British Isles cruise in June 2019.  We went to Beaulieu which was a wonderful day out.  There is a lovely historic home, gardens and an incredible automobile museum that even people who are not auto aficianados will most likely enjoy as there are wonderful cars, including the little caravan used by the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret.

Take the Hythe Ferry across Southampton Water to Hythe.  The pier in Hythe is historic and there is a little train that runs down its length.  

The Beaulieu website ( https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/  ) mentions taking a bus from Hythe.  Maybe that is new.  We took a taxi both ways. They called a taxi for us when we were ready to leave.  You get a 20% discount on admission for using public transportation for any part of your journey to get there.  

I highly recommend Beaulieu.  I don't think most visitors to Southampton know about it.

2 hours ago, bb32 said:

I'm on this cruise and spoke with Oceania this afternoon.  The phrase "to commission the shore power onboard" refers to the process undertaken to ensure that shore power is compatible with the vessel power. So I asked if that means St. Malo does not have compatible power and was told that the Marine Operations department makes this decision and the person would send an email to get more clarification.  I'm now looking into taking a fast direct train from Southampton Port to London's Waterloo Station (1 hour 20 min ride).  Will update if/when I get more info.  

St Malo is usually a tender port   so not sure  how that works for shore power

Maybe just another cost cutting  measure ... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, the mice said:

As for Southampton, we spent a couple of days there before our Oceania British Isles cruise in June 2019.  We went to Beaulieu which was a wonderful day out.  There is a lovely historic home, gardens and an incredible automobile museum that even people who are not auto aficianados will most likely enjoy as there are wonderful cars, including the little caravan used by the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret.

Take the Hythe Ferry across Southampton Water to Hythe.  The pier in Hythe is historic and there is a little train that runs down its length.  

The Beaulieu website ( https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/  ) mentions taking a bus from Hythe.  Maybe that is new.  We took a taxi both ways. They called a taxi for us when we were ready to leave.  You get a 20% discount on admission for using public transportation for any part of your journey to get there.  

I highly recommend Beaulieu.  I don't think most visitors to Southampton know about it.

This sounds like a great option for those arriving in Southampton earlier pre-cruise… and it’s always a good idea to arrive a day prior to embarkation.

8 hours ago, Verokaren said:

I am also on this cruise and appreciate the insights and tips for what to do. 

What, another cruise without us??? Wishing you fair skies, calm seas, and interesting people and places!

Jane & Ed

• Like 1

My husband and I are also on this cruise. In previous visits we have taken the Ferry in Southhampton to the Isle of Wight, it was a great day.  If you are walkers there are numerous trails for all levels.  This time we may look into renting bikes.  I do remember there was public transportation and very helpful local people to assist the tourist!!

Edited by birdrock96

8 hours ago, SophieM said:

What, another cruise without us??? Wishing you fair skies, calm seas, and interesting people and places!

Jane & Ed

Hello Jane and Ed!!!  

As I recall, you two are doing the London to London right after us, right?  We really toyed with this one, but at the end of the day, we are hoping it will be fun and interesting.  We are also going to be on the Vista for New Year's Eve - JOIN US!!

I am also on this cruise and was greatly disappointed by the notice that we will miss St Malo. Based on comments in this thread, it occurred to me that this may be the very first time that Vista calls on Southampton, in which case they may want to go a day earlier to test whether the shore power of Vista is fully compatible at the port of Southampton. So, I checked on cruisemapper.com and found that yes, this will be Vista's first call at Southampton. If they need two days for shore power "commissioning", wouldn't they have known that long before they set the itinerary for this cruise? Isn't an apology from Oceania or acknowledgement of guest's disappointment appropriate in this case? I was only on Oceania once about 10 years ago and thought I would try them again on the beautiful new Vista. This change and the way they are handling it has not impressed me.

Thank you to the commenters who made suggestions for things to do in Southampton. Oceania hasn't added excursions in Southampton to their web site. It's good to know that there are places we can go on our own, if necessary. 

Edited by avw
add another sentence
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, susiesan said:

Was this announcement made of skipping St. Malo after final payment was due? 

I wonder what other European ports that Oceania stops at will the same thing start happening?

Before final payment

51 minutes ago, Verokaren said:

Hello Jane and Ed!!!  

As I recall, you two are doing the London to London right after us, right?  We really toyed with this one, but at the end of the day, we are hoping it will be fun and interesting.  We are also going to be on the Vista for New Year's Eve - JOIN US!!

You will have great time, even without us  🤣 Actually, we are Reykjavik to London, arriving there 9/5. NYE on the Vista sounds really swell. One of these days we’ll hit the same one again!