Tuxedos worn? MSC Divina

carlmm

If I remember correctly, @styles27 reported about quite a number of people wearing tuxedos on their MSC Divina cruise, yet that was over New Years.

How is the situation now? Any recent experience? 

If it matters it will be 10 nights cruise Miami, Central America.

I have not been on Divina, but cruised MSC quite a few times in the Carib.  There are a smattering of tuxes, not nearly as many as when we started cruising, but men still wear them.  You will get a melange of dress on formal nights.... If you like your tux, wear it proudly.  But you don't "need" one,

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, carlmm said:

If I remember correctly, @styles27 reported about quite a number of people wearing tuxedos on their MSC Divina cruise, yet that was over New Years.

I was on the Divina last month for 12 days (5+7) & saw no tuxes but a wide variety of things worn to dinner from casual (no shorts at dinner tho--saw some turned away) to quite dressy including suits & cocktail dresses. 

• Thanks 1

We were on 2, four nighters last year on Mera and Divina, in the US,  and I wore a white dinner jacket on both.

I received many compliments from the women in my age group (I'm 67) and giggles from all the little girls.

Honestly though, I was the only one I saw in a tux...or suit for that matter.

Lovey and I love to get dressed up when we cruise.

I say go for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On a 7-night Divina, I saw four or five in the YC dining room.  However, they were all part of a group, so it might not have counted.  Plus, they were very unusual tuxes with sumptuous textures and colors.  They looked great.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

Yes we did see them on New Years Eve and many evening gowns. It reminded me of our cruises many years ago when people really got dressed up on elegant nights. 
I do think it was because it was a New Years Eve sailing though. 

• Thanks 1

I have been on the Divina three times for a total of 26 nights since October and probably saw 5-6 tuxedos total, and some were probably the same people on both Elegant Nights. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Thanks 1

I am of the generation of tuxedos on formal nites(I live in NYC so I have several that get regular use).

for the last several years I've bought several DINNER Jackets & wore them w black tuxedo pants...fun patterns & very appropo for cruises.

Also the black suit is the new tuxedo - if a man needs a suit he should buy a black one - its multi purpose & can be used everywhere for every occasion.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KKB said:

I was on the Divina last month for 12 days (5+7) & saw no tuxes but a wide variety of things worn to dinner from casual (no shorts at dinner tho--saw some turned away) to quite dressy including suits & cocktail dresses. 

What? No shorts? That doesn’t bode well for our group in June.

When I started cruising in 2009, I bought a tux. I been using it on two cruises. Both with Celebrity.

Would never put on a tux on a MSC ship, not in YC either.

Cruising has changed a lot, and the more mainstream it has turned the less formal it develops. Thankfully!

Cruising on mainstream cruise lines as MSC is now often a more economical choice than a landbased vacation with AI.

10 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

What? No shorts? That doesn’t bode well for our group in June.

Other than NCL, no other lines we have sailed allow shorts in MDR for dinner. (14 cruises since 2021; Celebrity, Princess, NCL, MSC & Carnival)

I agree that cruising is more casual overall since we began cruising 20 yrs ago. 

DH no longer brings a jacket or even a tie. He MIGHT bring button up shirts for formal night...but typically a light pair of slacks & golf shirt for him. Sundress or capris & nice top for me.

Now, buffets & counter service dining has no particular dress code. 

Edited by KKB

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Other than NCL, no other lines we have sailed allow shorts in MDR for dinner. (14 cruises since 2021; Celebrity, Princess, NCL, MSC & Carnival)

I agree that cruising is more casual overall since we began cruising 20 yrs ago. 

DH no longer brings a jacket or even a tie. He MIGHT bring button up shirts for formal night...but typically a light pair of slacks & golf shirt for him. Sundress or capris & nice top for me.

Now, buffets & counter service dining has no particular dress code. 

Ive worn shorts all the time on Carnival,NCL, and Royal with no problems. I dont wear them on dress up nights though.

19 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Ive worn shorts all the time on Carnival,NCL, and Royal with no problems. I dont wear them on dress up nights though.

Interesting.

Sailed RCCL in 2018 & Carnival in January & saw no shorts at dinner either time.

NOW...I did NOT see anyone turned away for wearing them, tho I did on the Divina last month.

William Shakespeare "“Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them” Meaning. This quote, out of context, suggests that even if one is at a low social level at this moment in their life, it's possible to change that..."

Edited by morpheusofthesea

7 hours ago, 77red96 said:

@morpheusofthesea has convinced me that formal wear is the way to go.

I will be in tux in my next cruise.

You prompted me to repost this.

https://tableagent.com/article/dressing-to-dine-dress-codes-defined/ " you can understand why dress codes are sometimes suggested by eateries of a certain merit: they wish for their guests to experience the world they have created. You can savor the luxury of top-notch service best when you too look and feel first-rate. The essence of fine dining wants to take patrons out of their ordinary lives, and for two hours, allow them to bask in the extraordinary experience of their choice. To truly be apart of such a supreme culinary happening—one must look the part and one must dress to dine."

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

You prompted me to repost this.

https://tableagent.com/article/dressing-to-dine-dress-codes-defined/ " you can understand why dress codes are sometimes suggested by eateries of a certain merit: they wish for their guests to experience the world they have created. You can savor the luxury of top-notch service best when you too look and feel first-rate. The essence of fine dining wants to take patrons out of their ordinary lives, and for two hours, allow them to bask in the extraordinary experience of their choice. To truly be apart of such a supreme culinary happening—one must look the part and one must dress to dine."

Senior observation here. When I wear what I consider appropriate clothes during the day (dress shorts, Tommy Bahama or similar tropical shirt), or a jacket and slacks for dinner in the MDR, I often get asked why I’m “dressed up” while I’m on vacation. Or I get complimented for looking sharp. I think I’m neither dressed up nor sharp. When dinosaurs roamed the earth this was considered proper attire. So I accept that I’m a silver haired dinosaur.

However, the trend amongst men to race to the bottom surprises me. Flip flops, board shorts and over large tanks with a ball cap. Then the pikachu surprise face when the MDR shuts the door in your face. 

Here’s a tip. They may not say it but women appreciate a man who makes an effort just the same as you appreciate their time and effort on make up and clothing.

image.gif.e1b02d128f8050c11c459f84365557cd.gif

• Like 5

On 3/19/2023 at 12:35 PM, KKB said:

We just got off the MSC Meraviglia and we saw a woman in a thong bikini without a coverup- walked right past us.  Yikes...not a pretty sight either. In the MDR was a 400+ lb woman in "short shorts." Another egads!  No standards on MSC anymore.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

We just got off the MSC Meraviglia and we saw a woman in a thong bikini without a coverup- walked right past us.  Yikes...not a pretty sight either. In the MDR was a 400+ lb woman in "short shorts." Another egads!  No standards on MSC anymore.

For dinner?

Observed a man in shorts turned away at dinner on Divina last month.

Personally I could care less, just reporting my observations.

(and honestly--u are fine with a 100 lb. woman in short shorts? 

They better damn well enforce--or not--the rules the SAME for any damn size of person.

Give me a break...)

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1