I need to get an emergency phone number to give to a family member in case they need to reach me while on the ship

fedexretiree

I will be on the Celebrity Edge in a few weeks and I need to get an emergency phone number that I can give to my family in the event that they can't reach me by my cell phone while I am on the ship.  While I'm in port it isn't a problem but while we are out to sea there are times that my phone doesn't get service.  I am old school and I only call and text.  

I don't have the wifi package and don't do social media either.  I have called at least 6 times(and waited on hold for a minimum of 20 minutes each time) to Celebrity Reservations and gotten hung up on 4 times.  No one can provide me with the correct information. I was told to have them call my cell phone....duh,,,really..

Also told to call Flights by Celebrity and they said they do not contact the ship.  Guy gave me the emergency phone contact for Royal.....that doesn't work just Royal ships only...

I know that there has got to be an emergency contact phone number of some kind.  Can't imagine that I'm the only one that has requested this.

Edited by fedexretiree

I found this on Celebrity's website under FAQs.  

For all Celebrity ships:
• Dial: 1-877-266-1020(applicable country code)+1-321-953-9002 (outside the United States)
• Dial the appropriate number above. 
• The caller will be asked to enter the credit card number and expiration date. 
• The system obtains a real-time hold for $79.50 ($7.95 x 10 minutes) and initiates the call to the ship. The $79.50 hold is the maximum that will be held. Actual charges will be calculated based on the number of minutes used on the call. 
• A voice prompt directs the caller to the specific ship. 
• The call is connected to the ship. 
• The call rings through to the designated department onboard (Radio Station or Purser Desk). The call is then routed to the guest's stateroom. 
• The PBX monitors the call. If there is no answer, the call will ring back at the designated department onboard (Radio Station or Purser Desk) and a written message is taken for delivery to the guest's stateroom.

• Like 1

We just give our Daughter/Son our Celebrity TA contact number and name of ship we are sailing on in case of emergency. My BIL died while we were cruising in South America a few years ago. Two Senior Officers came to our cabin to inform us and offered condolences. We were told we could make as many phone calls back home as needed. Next day beautiful flowers arrived in our cabin.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Provence55always said:

We just give our Daughter/Son our Celebrity TA contact number and name of ship we are sailing on in case of emergency. My BIL died while we were cruising in South America a few years ago. Two Senior Officers came to our cabin to inform us and offered condolences. We were told we could make as many phone calls back home as needed. Next day beautiful flowers arrived in our cabin.  

I booked this trip from the Blue Chip Club directly.  Sorry about your loss

47 minutes ago, AmberCascades said:

For all Celebrity ships:
• Dial: 1-877-266-1020(applicable country code)+1-321-953-9002 (outside the United States)
• The system obtains a real-time hold for $79.50 ($7.95 x 10 minutes) and initiates the call to the ship. The $79.50 hold is the maximum that will be held. Actual charges will be calculated based on the number of minutes used on the call. 
• The call rings through to the designated department onboard (Radio Station or Purser Desk). The call is then routed to the guest's stateroom. 
• The PBX monitors the call. If there is no answer, the call will ring back at the designated department onboard (Radio Station or Purser Desk) and a written message is taken for delivery to the guest's stateroom.

I will leave this for him to use. WOW kind of steep charge to do this but if this is the only option so be it...Thanks for finding this.

I was hoping that someone from Celebrity reservations could send the ship a message and have them contact us but that doesn't seem like that is something that they do

Be careful leaving your phone on cell service while at sea.. the roaming charges will kill you. Set to airplane mode... so I have been told. I usually provide the info listed earlier and then check email periodically for important messages.

I see you don't use email... you might consider setting up a free email on something like gmail and practice logging on..  to get comfortable with it and then perhaps get wifi for a day or two.. so you can check. If you are Elite you get 90 minutes...and this can be split up over several days. I use the computer onboard and log in periodically to check gmail.. only spend a few minutes... that way you can make it last... and you can always buy a day of wifi.. late in the cruise.

Edited by kearney

14 minutes ago, kearney said:

Be careful leaving your phone on cell service while at sea.. the roaming charges will kill you. Set to airplane mode... so I have been told. I usually provide the info listed earlier and then check email periodically for important messages.

I see you don't use email... you might consider setting up a free email on something like gmail and practice logging on..  to get comfortable with it and then perhaps get wifi for a day or two.. so you can check. If you are Elite you get 90 minutes...and this can be split up over several days. I use the computer onboard and log in periodically to check gmail.. only spend a few minutes... that way you can make it last... and you can always buy a day of wifi.. late in the cruise.

I do use email but I turn off the data so that way as you say the roaming charges don't kill my phone bill.  If I do that I can text or call and no problems it's just sometimes out at sea for 2 days you run into areas that don't have any cell service at all.  On a previous trip we were with friends who's husband is a VIP with a huge company and has a cell phone that can work all over the world he was without service for 2 evenings while out at sea.  My luck is that's when stuff happens...lol

5 minutes ago, fedexretiree said:

I do use email but I turn off the data so that way as you say the roaming charges don't kill my phone bill.  If I do that I can text or call and no problems it's just sometimes out at sea for 2 days you run into areas that don't have any cell service at all.  On a previous trip we were with friends who's husband is a VIP with a huge company and has a cell phone that can work all over the world he was without service for 2 evenings while out at sea.  My luck is that's when stuff happens...lol

Understood... I have back up plans for my back up plan....:)  We started cruising back in the olden days..in part as a way of being able to tell bosses..that they couldn't reach us. I had one boss who was called on the ski slope to come back... and after flying home..his boss couldn't recall what the emergency was... sad but true.

2 hours ago, AmberCascades said:

For all Celebrity ships:

Um, not quite true.  While on the Apex, there was a death in my family and my daughter tried to call to let me know but I wasn't in the cabin and never got a written or verbal message about her call.  Its not a foolproof system. 

17 minutes ago, baggal said:

Um, not quite true.  While on the Apex, there was a death in my family and my daughter tried to call to let me know but I wasn't in the cabin and never got a written or verbal message about her call.  Its not a foolproof system. 

I'm sorry for your loss.  Fortunately I've never had to test this out.  We do check our email nightly in case anyone wants to get us for any reason.  

2 hours ago, AmberCascades said:

I'm sorry for your loss.  Fortunately I've never had to test this out.  We do check our email nightly in case anyone wants to get us for any reason.  

Thank you.  Yes, by checking my email when I returned to the cabin I was able to get updates from home.  

5 hours ago, kearney said:

Understood... I have back up plans for my back up plan....:)  We started cruising back in the olden days..in part as a way of being able to tell bosses..that they couldn't reach us. I had one boss who was called on the ski slope to come back... and after flying home..his boss couldn't recall what the emergency was... sad but true.

That is horrible to do to someone.  I'm like you, I have a back up plan for a back up plan as well..lol..

It's horrible to say but after I get advice from a Celebrity agent I call back to see if I get the same information and normally 1 out of 3 times I do this I get conflicting information.  But I've been burned by bad advice several times so I know I go overboard rechecking but that's just my way of doing things now.

18 hours ago, fedexretiree said:

I will be on the Celebrity Edge in a few weeks and I need to get an emergency phone number that I can give to my family in the event that they can't reach me by my cell phone while I am on the ship. 

Why not purchase a wifi plan so you can receive texts? Even 60 minutes worth that you can login periodically while on board, just to see if you have any incoming text messages.

If I think I might need to be reached, I wouldn't rely on some questionable phone number that a customer service rep gives me. I own it myself and always purchase a wifi plan when sailing. IMO, you're wasting your time trying to find some other method.

17 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Why not purchase a wifi plan so you can receive texts? Even 60 minutes worth that you can login periodically while on board, just to see if you have any incoming text messages.

If I think I might need to be reached, I wouldn't rely on some questionable phone number that a customer service rep gives me. I own it myself and always purchase a wifi plan when sailing. IMO, you're wasting your time trying to find some other method.

I was thinking the same thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RichYak said:

The port agent. 

I just saw this discussed in a video blog... I never noticed this..but apparently they usually put the port agent contact info in the daily schedule... and the video blogger suggested taking the info along when you go into port. Great suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kearney said:

I just saw this discussed in a video blog... I never noticed this..but apparently they usually put the port agent contact info in the daily schedule... and the video blogger suggested taking the info along when you go into port. Great suggestion.

Always.  They recommend it and we always bring it with us.  Because you never know.  🙂

2 hours ago, kearney said:

Yes, and I would go further than the vlogger suggesting. Always keep that information handy while in port. That's your main point of contact in case of a problem.

• Thanks 1