Arrival Time vs Boarding Time?

I've just got our eDocs for our upcoming Prima sailing out of NYC, and I'm wondering about Arrival Time vs Boarding Time.

I was able to get a 9:30-10:00 arrival time. With RCL/X we don't usually arrive that early, but concerns about getting reservations for Prima's tiny venues pushed me to selecting the earliest time available. I do note, however, on my eDocs it says Boarding begins at 12:00 PM. If that's the case, what are we supposed to do between 10:00 and 12:00? Is there a "holding area" in the terminal? Will we still be able to connect to the ship WiFi to book our reservations? Should I just opt to get another hour or two of sleep that morning and just show up to the terminal at noon?

2 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Is there a "holding area" in the terminal? Will we still be able to connect to the ship WiFi to book our reservations? Should I just opt to get another hour or two of sleep that morning and just show up to the terminal at noon?

There is a holding area - just a big room where you sit in uncomfortable chairs.

Pretty sure you can't connect to the ship's wifi (heck, you can hardly do this when on board most of the time!) and cannot make restaurant reservations.

If you sleep later and arrive later, it may mean that you stand in line longer waiting to get into the building.  I prefer earlier and sit than later and stand.

When we left NYC....

First we waited in a long tightly packed line to get through security.  No social distancing at all, and 95% mask free, even though Covid was still a concern.

Next we waited in another long line for document checks (covid vaccine and test - this should no longer be in place.

Then we got in the "priority line" due to Platinum status for our check-in and key card.  Our line was shorter, but only being served by two stations.  People who entered the non-priority line after us had their key cards before us.

By this time, more than two hours had passed and we were able to board and go straight to lunch then our cabin.

20 hours ago, mearsfansinboise said:

If you sleep later and arrive later, it may mean that you stand in line longer waiting to get into the building.  I prefer earlier and sit than later and stand.

We prefer to wait even later when thers is no waiting either standing or sitting.

If you are not Platinium or Haven you may as well sleep in a little.  I prefer to get there early just to get everything done and wait there because I am too excited to sleep.  That being said, the NYC terminal was not that comfortable and nothing really to do but sit.

57 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

We prefer to wait even later when thers is no waiting either standing or sitting.

Same here.  My goal is always to arrive at the pier, check in, and walk right on board.

Unless you're in the Haven, the waiting areas t board at the pier are "NO FUN"!

I try to get to the pier sometime after noon.  Unless something went haywire, I check in and walk right on board.  And, when I board, it's usually close enough that my cabin is ready and I don't have to schlep my carry on everywhere.

Edited by graphicguy

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Same here.  My goal is always to arrive at the pier, check in, and walk right on board.

I always attempt to wait but wife will never allow it lol...She will be up at the crack of dawn, looking out the window and seeing the ships and is like" Can we go yet" lol.....We do sail in the Haven so doesn't bother me to much 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I try to get to the pier sometime after noon.  Unless something went haywire, I check in and walk right on board.  And, when I board, it's usually close enough that my cabin is ready and I don't have to schlep my carry on everywhere.

The Haven waiting areas aren't as comfortable as your hotel room.

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yeah...it really depends on the port.  I've been in some Haven check in rooms that were little more than a small class room with way too few chairs and some stale doughnuts and "urn" coffee.  Neither were good.

Others were better, with better beverages and "snacks".

Not Haven, but the best was sailing the Celebrity Retreat on both the APEX and EDGE out of FT Lauderdale.  Their Retreat check in area was comfortable, with great beverages of all kinds, great snacks, and their check in personnel were 2nd to none.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

At the Manhattan cruise ship terminal, the two key strategies are to go very early or very late. Both have their advantages. I used to be a “very late” guy. Now I’m in the very early camp.

If social distancing is a concern, go very late. As another poster said, it’s a mass of closely-packed people, virtually none of whom are masked. If you arrive late, you can typically waltz in with no crowds.

If you want to be among the first to board, go early. The ship is often cleared for boarding between 11 and 11:30. If there were no passengers on a repositioning journey immediately before your cruise, they will sometimes let you on as early as 10.Unless you're in the Haven, the waiting areas t board at the pier are "NO FUN"!

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

At the MCT, the “exclusive” Haven waiting area is pretty lackluster. More space, but the same crappy seats you’ll find elsewhere. A few lame finger sandwiches and some soda and juices. It is moderately more bearable than the regular terminal areas. 

Every time I’ve arrived at the pier early (~9:30 a.m.) I always kick myself while being squished at my seat (if I can find a seat) by those sitting next to me, by their luggage, and those standing in front of me with their usually sizable derrières.

The last time that happened, I swore “never agin”!  I’ve kept that promise to myself.

I'm impatient. The morning of, I'm eating breakfast and then pacing around until I can head to the port. Then I'm seething at the long lines and rolling my eyes at the number of people who seem to have unresolved issues or questions that are best answered by crew once onboard (or by having read cruisecritic) which only serve to delay the rest of us waiting (im)patiently in line. Only to finally (hopefully) find a seat and be irritated that my children are incapable of sitting still and are outwardly showing the same excitement and (im)patience that I'm feeling too. 

That being said, my check-in glitched and we ended up with different arrival times:

image.png.006eee752cdf496bec7372370108181e.png

What is the best time to arrive, and will NCL have something to say if we all arrive together either at the earlier time or later?

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I’ve heard with the new policy of once a day room cleaning the stewards have double the rooms and cabins haven’t been ready until 3:30 or 4:00 🤦🏻‍♀️😳

Everyone is accurate in their assessments.  I’ve sailed out of NYC many times, but I’m on the arrive early camp.  I’m Platinum and book through CAS, so it’s slightly less painful.  But the later you arrive, the longer the lines at security and the check in lines.  When you get checked in, the later you arrive, the higher boarding group you get.  I’ve also seem major clusters later in the day, delaying boarding even more.  If you can’t go early, go late after the chaos has subsided.

42 minutes ago, carohs said:

I'm impatient. The morning of, I'm eating breakfast and then pacing around until I can head to the port. Then I'm seething at the long lines and rolling my eyes at the number of people who seem to have unresolved issues or questions that are best answered by crew once onboard (or by having read cruisecritic) which only serve to delay the rest of us waiting (im)patiently in line. Only to finally (hopefully) find a seat and be irritated that my children are incapable of sitting still and are outwardly showing the same excitement and (im)patience that I'm feeling too. 

That being said, my check-in glitched and we ended up with different arrival times:

image.png.006eee752cdf496bec7372370108181e.png

What is the best time to arrive, and will NCL have something to say if we all arrive together either at the earlier time or later?

The port employees might have something to say about the arrival times.

But, we haven't had any problems when we've a little ahead of our check-in slots.  With that said, if I were you I might gage the decision on arrival time depending on weather conditions (rain, heat, cold) could be intolerable conditions for extended periods outside.  Once inside the terminal and past security check-in, the embarkation is determined by room type, status, or boarding number given at Check-In.

Based on your assorted check-in times, I'd go as a group at whichever feels more comfortable for your group.  Hopefully, it all goes smoothly for your family!!!

• Like 1