Celebrity at a crossroads

JLS07

7 hours ago, RichYak said:

I'm reading about IT issues as they've recently launched a new website but not much negativity regarding the on board experience.

Lots of Az cheerleaders on the boards, so that might be why you don't see a lot of moaning about the on-board experience.  I was on board Onward in December 2022 for the first time.  So, it has been a minute and perhaps things have improved.  We liked the smaller, more intimate ship size, but we were disappointed in the main dining room service experience the first night.  The situation improved once we found a more zealous wait team.  There might have been a shortage of crew at the time.  Deck cookouts included replacement of loungers with 4-top tables leaving a serious lack of loungers available on a sea day.  For a more port-intensive itinerary we would consider the line again as it would purely be a floating hotel.

1 hour ago, Stem to Stern said:

Deck cookouts included replacement of loungers with 4-top tables leaving a serious lack of loungers available on a sea day.  For a more port-intensive itinerary we would consider the line again as it would purely be a floating hotel.

I prefer chairs to lounges so I would think that is good thing 😁

21 hours ago, jaywoods678 said:

Same thing when Carnival bought Holland America.

Actually HAL was profitable and doing nicely at the time CCL purchased it.  It was owned by the Van Der Vorm family.  They decided to sell because they could either expand the line and tie up more money or they could sell the line and use the money for more profitable ventures.  They sold to CCL  for 625 million in 1988. They were worth an estimated 11.2 billion in 2019 so their decision worked out for the family.

2 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Lots of Az cheerleaders on the boards, so that might be why you don't see a lot of moaning about the on-board experience.

There are lots of X cheerleaders on this board too. They are easy to recognize as I find most of them annoying. There’s plenty of honest info on all boards. 

21 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

First, and foremost, the ship itself is beautiful. It has lots of spaces where you can sit and watch the ocean. We loved hanging out at the sunset bar. It has a ton of comfortable seating, most with shade. We played a lot of backgammon (we have a travel set) there during our cruise. We loved Eden for the shows and the views. It's also a good place to relax and watch the sea during the day if you don't want to be outside. The center hub of the ship is very well set up. Between the martini bar and cafe al bacio there's always something delicious to drink. The main theater is impressive with it's technology and the round stage. And all of that doesn't mention the world class bar or the restaurants. We didn't try any specialty dining because the four different MDRs worked great for us. And while the infinite veranda isn't exactly a balcony it does provide a view without being in the elements and extends the size of the room.

The embarkation area works really well which is just another example of how well thought out the ship's design is. 

If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

Yes, come to think of it. I was going to message you but saw you aren't set up for it. We've been "Loyal to.." up to our D+ status a few years ago by doing 2-3 cruises a year but wanted to try something else. We're booked on the next and first LNG ship from them in 2024 but still wanted to try a newer Celebrity ship. you mentioned 4 MDR's. Are people assigned to one of them throughout the cruise or do people rotate like Royal did a few years ago. To us we didn't care for that at all. Do you ever see men and women wearing shorts with a clean tee or short sleeve shirt at Dinner or are long pants what they insist on? We have an E-2 on deck six midship, Has Celebrity gone to the one cabin cleaning per day like RC has? What else can you tell me about Eden from the shows and views. Like RC there's always lifeguards at every pool, is it the same with X? Do the lounge chairs at the pools all have cushions for added comfort or are they strap web? How would you rate the Entertainment and Shows, anything noteworthy to add? Does X use the same Cruise Terminal as Royal at Ft. Lauderdale. How's the Embarkation process there. Was the Magic Carpet used on your cruise, what's the purpose of it, reading about it is rather vague. If you or others can provide any pros and cons about the Beyond please do, we'd like to know more about it as time goes on. Thanks !

Edited by DJLDRUMS
used better grammar

7 hours ago, RichYak said:

There are lots of X cheerleaders on this board too. They are easy to recognize as I find most of them annoying. There’s plenty of honest info on all boards. 

I have been called a celebrity cheerleader on here so interested to understand why you find us annoying. I only post my opinion based on personal experience as I am sure many do, I too get annoyed by people who post positively and negatively based on what they read.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C4HCG said:

I have been called a celebrity cheerleader on here so interested to understand why you find us annoying. I only post my opinion based on personal experience as I am sure many do, I too get annoyed by people who post positively and negatively based on what they read.

The part I dont understand is when tell people that an different cruise line is over $200 a day more for cruise but they still insist that it worth it 🤔

12 hours ago, RichYak said:

So define cheerleader. From my last trip review in February on here I was 90% positive with some notes about changes, some we didn't like and some we didn't care about. Our in laws also loved the Connie when they went this year. Does that put us in the cheerleader camp? We did learn that the E class is not our first choice of ships in the X line.

I think there is a different viewpoint on the changes retreat vs standard cabin and value. For our choice to cruise without a view from the inside, Celebrity still offers us more than other lines we will sail and at a better value. Our upcoming HAL cruise may change that view, but as of now Celebrity is our first choice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RichYak said:

IYO....is positive opinion not 'honest' opinion?...🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The part I dont understand is when tell people that an different cruise line is over $200 a day more for cruise but they still insist that it worth it 🤔

COST is always the factor that gets ignored when comparing cruise lines.  How much more is worth it for what you get?  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, C4HCG said:

I haven't found you to be a cheerleader. In fact, your comment would indicate that you're not. You'll need to find other ways to annoy me 🤣

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

COST is always the factor that gets ignored when comparing cruise lines.  How much more is worth it for what you get?  

It the same for everything ,

everyone has a different budget 

Most important is what people consider to be the best value for their dollar 

I am happy within inside cabin, my wife is not,

I consider it to get good value to get a balcony compared to the alternative 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

So define cheerleader. From my last trip review in February on here I was 90% positive with some notes about changes, some we didn't like and some we didn't care about. Our in laws also loved the Connie when they went this year. Does that put us in the cheerleader camp? We did learn that the E class is not our first choice of ships in the X line.

I think there is a different viewpoint on the changes retreat vs standard cabin and value. For our choice to cruise without a view from the inside, Celebrity still offers us more than other lines we will sail and at a better value. Our upcoming HAL cruise may change that view, but as of now Celebrity is our first choice.

Only 90%? You're nowhere near a cheerleader, that's downright grumpy! 😇

Simply put, in my mind a cheerleader is one who defends the indefensible. The Celebrity 1/1/23 cutbacks made them very easy to identify.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I think it is worth it to them. Not a lot different between buying a Ford or a BMW. It’s all about choices and perceived value. If cheaper was the only criteria for selecting something, wouldn’t we all select something other than Celebrity….say Carnival or MSC?  Or would we be spending our dollars on cruising at all?

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Hmm, cost, for me is the number one factor when comparing cruise lines. The cost of the Retreat is the primary reason other cruise lines are now higher on my list to book. And keep in mind, I just got off a near perfect week on Millennium where I got great value for what I paid. For my next sailing, Celebrity wants $800pp/pn for a Sky Suite. It's just not worth that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Celebrity wants $800pp/pn for a Sky Suite. It's just not worth that.

I doesn't appear to be worth it to me either.  Especially since I wouldn't spend any time on the Retreat pool deck.  Only advantage TO ME is a different dining room and a bit more space in the cabin.  But to other people, those things may be worth the cost.

56 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I doesn't appear to be worth it to me either.  Especially since I wouldn't spend any time on the Retreat pool deck.  Only advantage TO ME is a different dining room and a bit more space in the cabin.  But to other people, those things may be worth the cost.

Here's another way I look at cost and value. The cost for me to upgrade my next X cruise from balcony with AI to Sky Suite would be upwards of $12000--that's just the incremental cost.

Now, if I combine the cost of my upcoming March 2024 7-day cruise in MSC Yacht Club and the cost of an Azamara 9-day Med cruise I'm looking at for next summer, that's also $12000--combined.

So Celebrity thinks just the incremental value of Retreat over a balcony cabin for 12 days is the same as 16 days of additional sailing on MSC YC and Azamara. It's insanity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

So Celebrity thinks just the incremental value of Retreat over a balcony cabin for 12 days is the same as 16 days of additional sailing on MSC YC and Azamara. It's insanity.

It is insanity.  But I guess some people have money to burn.  I would prefer to sail on a smaller ship like Viking or Oceania rather than upgrade to a sky suite for three times the cost of a Celebrity veranda.  But, to other people, the additional cost is worth it.  

• Like 1

I think X also counts on inertia.  People tend stay with what they know and absorb price creep.  I did that with home/auto insurance until recently (shame on me).  The big, big increases in 2024/2025 retreat prices, especially 2025, were jarring and got a whole lot of former cheerleaders, myself included, looking to see what else might be available for similar price.  I'm nervous about sailing a line I don't "know," but pleased with myself for waking up to the fact I'm being overcharged and making a change.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I'm nervous about sailing a line I don't "know," but pleased with myself for waking up to the fact I'm being overcharged and making a change.

4 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Very good point.  Change can be scary.  

Personally, I'm excited. I look forward to trying MSC's true ship-within-a-ship concept and also exploring new places that smaller ships can take me that mass market ships can't.

40 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Here's another way I look at cost and value. The cost for me to upgrade my next X cruise from balcony with AI to Sky Suite would be upwards of $12000--that's just the incremental cost.

Now, if I combine the cost of my upcoming March 2024 7-day cruise in MSC Yacht Club and the cost of an Azamara 9-day Med cruise I'm looking at for next summer, that's also $12000--combined.

The way to get the lowest price on a sailing is ability to be flexible.  Everything you said is true however I just wanted to point out that X, like most of travel industry, utilize the dynamic pricing model where fares increase as supply decreases.  Usually, the way to get the cheapest price is to book a sailing that has a "fire sale" roughly six weeks before the sail date.  If a couple is retired and therefore flexible to travel at time, if the goal is to save money, booking a year out most likely isn't a good idea.  Obviously, it doesn't apply to all sailing such as one-off itineraries, etc

Disclaimer that this won't work for everyone...For those who work and need to take vacation time, some just wrongly assume they need to lock in a specific date range months in advance.  However, many bosses do not care if you say something like "Thinking of taking a week-long cruise in August but won't book or have the date range until July, as long I as (establish backup, finish my tasks, etc) would that be a problem?"

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

An honest opinion is an honest opinion, whether positive or negative.

Then what makes an 'honest opinion' cheer leading.  This is only your opinion which has a negative tone.  Or do you positively think those who speak well of X aren't worth their opinion because it disagrees with yours?  Word games.

Edited by Oceangoer2

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

Personally, I'm excited. I look forward to trying MSC's true ship-within-a-ship concept and also exploring new places that smaller ships can take me that mass market ships can't.

I had friends who just got back from MSC and loved it.  But she said the ship was very large?  I assume you are sailing on a much smaller MSC ship?