Does Holland charge for room service?

gizmodog

Unpopular opinion in 3...2...1

Instead of HAL's nickel and diming, just charge for room service.  Bonus points because it would free the passageways from all the clutter.

Edited by PACD_JG

I am currently on Koningsdam.  When our morning room service comes, there is no slip to write a tip on.  On Princess, they have a slip where you can put your tip on your portfolio, so if you intend to tip each time you get morning coffee and juices delivered, bring a lot of cash with you.

There are some room service items for which there is a charge. Burgers from the Dive In on the Pinnacle ships, a steak, lobster, alcohol, soda, and smoked salmon come to mind. The free room service breakfast has declined from what is once was. But there are a wide range of included options available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We like to tip in cash, and the staff like to be tipped in cash, its the only way you know the person giving you the service gets the reward. Tipping by writing it in or charging on a room key means the tip gets pooled amongst a bunch of staff that you might choose not to tip for specific services. The room steward shouldn't be rewarded for serving drinks all day, they get their tip for keeping a nice room. The dishwasher and laundry workers get a piece of the daily tips, unfortunately, its not a personal service they provide, hopefully, they are entry level staff that can work their way up to a better paying position. 

We go along with the ships arrangements that they have set up with their staff, we always pay the daily tip fee and then tip in cash to those we choose, mostly barkeeps, wait staff, room and pool folks. Folks that do not pay the daily fee and elect to tip as they wish are doing a disservice to many of the staff that rely on their share as the majority of their income. Pull that and they don't get paid. So, if you do not wish to tip extra at least tip the suggested daily rate to make sure the souls cleaning the decks at 4am are getting a piece of pie too. 

3 hours ago, gizmodog said:

Just wondering? Trying to find out what to expect once on board

Not yet.

I say that because the entire cruise industry remains extremely fluid. I don't think we can count on any policy in effect today remaining in effect tomorrow. Best to be prepared for changes to avoid disappointment. If room service is still free when you sail, bonus! 

45 minutes ago, Highlander1 said:

The dishwasher and laundry workers get a piece of the daily tips, unfortunately, its not a personal service they provide,

Really? I consider washing my underwear and returning it to me all nice and clean to be about as 'personal' a service as I care to have provided by ship staff. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 9

For the most part, no, but like other dining venues, there are supplementary charges items on the room service menus.  Items like steak and eggs, lobster Benedict and items from the Speciality Restaurants.

Here's a tip if you say book a veranda cabin and want to enjoy a lovely meal on your veranda and you are willing to serve yourself.  You can quite easily order from room service a soup and salad (complimentary), a 10 - oz fillet mignon with whipped potatoes, sautéed mushrooms and creamed spinach from Pinnacle Grill for $15 and cheese and crackers, cheesecake or chocolate chip cookies for dessert (complimentary).  

The downside is that it will all arrive at the same time, unless you are willing to put in separate orders and wait for it to arrive.  It sure does make for a lovely veranda evening.

Edit to Add:  You can also order from the MDR menu.

Edited by cbr663

14 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

For the most part, no, but like other dining venues, there are supplementary charges items on the room service menus.  Items like steak and eggs, lobster Benedict and items from the Speciality Restaurants.

Here's a tip if you say book a veranda cabin and want to enjoy a lovely meal on your veranda and you are willing to serve yourself.  You can quite easily order from room service a soup and salad (complimentary), a 10 - oz fillet mignon with whipped potatoes, sautéed mushrooms and creamed spinach from Pinnacle Grill for $15 and cheese and crackers, cheesecake or chocolate chip cookies for dessert (complimentary).  

The downside is that it will all arrive at the same time, unless you are willing to put in separate orders and wait for it to arrive.  It sure does make for a lovely veranda evening.

Edit to Add:  You can also order from the MDR menu.

The other downside of planning to "enjoy a lovely meal on your veranda" in a regular veranda cabin is the dinky balcony table is the size of a large dinner plate.  You would pretty much need to drag the coffee table out there to have enough room to set multiple plates.

6 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Bonus points because it would free the passageways from all the clutter.

Room service carcasses should never be put in the hallway (nor anything else)!! It's a big safety hazard for emergency egress as well as for just keeping clear pathway for scooters, etc.  HAL used to put a card on all the room service trays asking you to call room service for a tray pick up and to not put them on the hall floor.  I wonder why they don't do that anymore. My room steward took mine away when he came in.

I was in a veranda room last and ate my room service breakfasts on the desk.  Signature suites and Neptunes have a larger veranda table that is at dining height.

~Nancy

7 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Unpopular opinion in 3...2...1

Instead of HAL's nickel and diming, just charge for room service.  Bonus points because it would free the passageways from all the clutter.

Wouldn't charging for room service be the very definition of "nickel and diming"??

🤔

• Like 4