We're Booked on Insignia and the Reviews are Just DREADFUL

ATLConsultant

Has anyone been on this ship lately?   Many people on cruisecritic are saying the food is not good and has slipped heavily.   Just wondering if others who have cruised on this ship lately have had a similar experience.  Does Oceania still serve lobster and crab or has that  gone too?  

thanks.

1 hour ago, ATLConsultant said:

Has anyone been on this ship lately?   Many people on cruisecritic are saying the food is not good and has slipped heavily.   Just wondering if others who have cruised on this ship lately have had a similar experience.  Does Oceania still serve lobster and crab or has that  gone too?  

thanks.

The Insignia is currently sailing the ATW cruise .   Lobster is available daily at the grill in Terrace (unless there is a themed dinner), at Waves daily and in the specialty venues and often on the GDR menu.  We have enjoyed crab often onboard.  

1 hour ago, ATLConsultant said:

thanks.

Not sure what "reviews" y'all are reading that are Insignia-specific regarding food.  I certainly concur with basor's response.  More generally, we found the quality and variety of food in all the dining venues during our 12/28-1/15/2023 Panama Canal cruise to be up to what we've experienced on our 15 previous Oceania cruises on all six ships.  As basor indicated, our cruise was the first leg of the 

ATW and one would expect Oceania not to want to disappoint the pax.

• Like 1

"Reviews" of Sirena were pretty tough in mid-2022. But we cruised on her 11/18-28/2022 and had a great time. I wish reviewers here would say what cabin-level they were in when writing. I wonder if the "princess and the pea" problem afflicts so many in the PH and above cabin levels. Their expectations seem off the charts, to be treated like royalty. We were in an A4 on Riviera 12/13-23/2021 and B2 on Sirena. No complaints for us. 

• Like 2

The reported 2022 tough reviews seem to be fixed. We were on the Sirena in Jan 23 and everything was great. Food was excellent, service great. No complaints. The R class ships are old but love the intimacy of smaller ships. Nothing was very crowded except the Terrace cafe and Waves grille for lunch on boarding day.

• Like 3

@ATLConsultant

If I may ask, where are these reviews coming from, ie. publication, FB, etc?  insignia is on the ATW and I can not imagine Oceania is in the business of letting these guests down with a poor cruise experience because they paid far too much money to accept substandard Oceania performance. We were on an ATW segment Pre Covid and on 6 cruises since Covid and NEVER had a bad cruise. 
We all have high expectations and in over 15 years of sailing on O, we have NEVER had a substandard cruise.  If something is “off”, let the people responsible know and they will work to make it right. IMHO, ALL the staff on board bust their tails to deliver exceptional service. The early cruise survey is a great way to share your comments because they are read and every functional area on board is required to follow up with the guests. 

Unless it is your experience or you know the individuals who received the substandard service and hear it from them, don’t give it much credence, JMHO. 
Enjoy your cruise and don’t let negativity adversely impact your attitude nor experience. 
Mauibabes

• Like 6

14 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

"Reviews" of Sirena were pretty tough in mid-2022. But we cruised on her 11/18-28/2022 and had a great time. I wish reviewers here would say what cabin-level they were in when writing. I wonder if the "princess and the pea" problem afflicts so many in the PH and above cabin levels. Their expectations seem off the charts, to be treated like royalty. We were in an A4 on Riviera 12/13-23/2021 and B2 on Sirena. No complaints for us. 

I don’t understand why you keep bashing people who are in a PH. We cruise in a PH for one reason only. More space. 

We certainly don’t expect to be treated like royalty and never met anyone else who expected it. I don’t know where you’re getting that from.  We were on Sirena in October 2022  in a PH2 and Regatta in March 2022 in a PH2 and they were wonderful cruises. The food was excellent. 

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

I don’t understand why you keep bashing people who are in a PH. We cruise in a PH for one reason only. More space. We certainly don’t expect to be treated like royalty and never met anyone else who expected it. I don’t know where you’re getting that from. We were on Sirena in October 2022 in a PH2 and Regatta in March 2022 in a PH2 and they were wonderful cruises. The food was excellent. 

You miss my primary point: "I wish reviewers here would say what cabin-level they were in when writing." The expectations we have influence our views. You might read the blistering complaints in another thread from yesterday from a OS cruiser (15 O cruises in said OS-level cabin) complaining about unspecified things and very upset he didn't get to personally meet with the General Manager and Hotel Manager. The trend I read here is that the most sustained SUBJECTIVE complaints appear to be from those in PH and above. I don't mind "complaints", but I do prefer them to have some basis in objective reality that can be directly communicated to others.

• Like 3

Seems some people  are obsessed with how other people spend THEIR money

If people want  a bigger cabin so what

They are  eating the same food as the lower cabin categories  stopping at the  same ports  seeing the same shows

maybe they save $$ as well booking a sale to get the higher cabin category

Do what works best  for you

JMO

• Like 13

We are on a Viking TA right now, using up covid credits....

We have a new respect for sailing with O, can't wait for all our O booked cruises, on insignia, Serena, Marina and Viking....

Will post a review when we get back in two weeks.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Seems some people are obsessed with how other people spend THEIR money

If people want a bigger cabin so what. They are eating the same food as the lower cabin categories. stopping at the same ports. seeing the same shows. maybe they save $$ as well booking a sale to get the higher cabin category....

Yet that isn't the issue. Which is complaints and complaining. Esp. whether they are objective or not. (For they tend to be tied to peoples' expectations which appear to rise with cabin level.)

That very upset OS complainer on the other thread "disappointed" and when pressed complains he couldn't meet personally with the GM & HM to discuss his unspecified complaints (though he makes sure to state he's cruised 15 times on O in said OS cabins and he also does have some subjective food and vague supply issues, too).

Why is it so hard to identify your cabin level when you complain and state some objective complaints? Or just be honest and admit your complaints are entirely subjective? Tied to your expectations.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ATLConsultant said:

thanks.

We were on Insignia from 1/15/23 to 3/4/23.  It was our first cruise with Oceania, so I have no basis for comparison with pre-covid cruises.  What I can tell you, is the our cruise was very enjoyable.  Was everything perfect? No, but many things exceeded our expectations based on the reviews that I had read on the message boards.  Other areas didn't meet our expectations, and we're not sure whether that is attributable to staffing shortages, lack of training, or something else.  For example, we found the food to be quite good.  Were there a few so-so meals?  Of course, but on the whole, the meals were good.  Lobster was available at Waves, specialties and ocassionally in the GDR.  We liked Polo, but found Toscano somewhat of a letdown, and canceled our last reservation there.  The nightly shows exceeded our expectations.  I read the critiques posted here, and the general consensus, was that nightly entertainment was not that great.  We found all of the shows to be an enjoyable 45 minutes of entertainment, with a variety of guest performers.  Shore excursions needs a complete rework top to bottom, from the confusing pricing structure of shore excursions for new Oceania customers, to the onboard shore excursion team.  Two of our shore excursions were cancelled and we were not notified.  The only way we figured it out, was not receiving the tickets at the outset of the cruise.  We should have at least been sent an email, so that we could book alternative excursions, before everything was sold out.  The onboard shore excursion team was not very knowledgeable or helpful either.  The other area that needs to be addressed is HVAC maintenance or replacement.  We had a balcony cabin on Deck 6.  We started out in San Francisco, where the weather was chilly and had heat on.  When the weather turned warmer, the AC didn't work.  Maintenance came and turned on the AC, but in Antarctica, the AC wouldn't shut off, making the cabin practically unlivable.  Maintenance came and turned off the AC and turned on the heat.  When the weather turned warmer again, repeat maintenance.  The thermostat has no on/off control, and frankly, isn't from this century.

A previous poster said to mention issues on the ship, so that they could be addressed.  Maybe that worked for them, but I had no such helpful response.  As I said, we enjoyed the cruise, and would consider sailing on Oceania again, if we found a compelling itinerary.  We had some good experiences with service, and others that were lacking, but that's been par on land as well post-Covid.  If you look for deficiencies, you will surely find them.  But if you go with the intention of enjoying yourself, I'm sure that you will.

• Like 6

We were on the Panama Canal portion of the ATW cruise earlier this year (12/28/22 - 1/16/23). We had lobster in the following places: Grand Dining Room, Toscana, and Polo. It was offered in Waves and the Terrace Cafe, but we didn’t have it there.

One night in Polo Grill I had lobster bisque, gratinated lobster, and lobster mac’n cheese.

Overall, we loved the food on board. We prefer to eat in the dining room for breakfast and lunch whenever possible. The daily soufflé in the dining room for dinner was one of my favorite things. Also, in Toscana they had a zabaglione with peaches that was to die for. And the lobster in Toscana was excellent, too.

• Like 4

Out of curiosity, how does O prepare a ship for an ATW voyage?  We're booked on a segment of Insignia's next ATW, and I'm wondering if there's any special maintenance, restocking, etc., that's done beforehand.  Anything particular to know?  I'd love to know what to expect.

8 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

Out of curiosity, how does O prepare a ship for an ATW voyage?  We're booked on a segment of Insignia's next ATW, and I'm wondering if there's any special maintenance, restocking, etc., that's done beforehand.  Anything particular to know?  I'd love to know what to expect.

I've been on an Insignia ATW segment and I didn't perceive anything that struck me as special.

15 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

They will pick up food /supplies along the way

Just like any other cruises

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@ATLConsultant

If I may ask, where are these reviews coming from, ie. publication, FB, etc?  j

These reviews are coming from cruise critic.   

insignia is on the ATW and I can not imagine Oceania is in the business of letting these guests down with a poor cruise experience because they paid far too much money to accept substandard Oceania performance. We were on an ATW segment Pre Covid and on 6 cruises since Covid and NEVER had a bad cruise. 
We all have high expectations and in over 15 years of sailing on O, we have NEVER had a substandard cruise.  If something is “off”, let the people responsible know and they will work to make it right. IMHO, ALL the staff on board bust their tails to deliver exceptional service. The early cruise survey is a great way to share your comments because they are read and every functional area on board is required to follow up with the guests. 

Unless it is your experience or you know the individuals who received the substandard service and hear it from them, don’t give it much credence, JMHO. 
Enjoy your cruise and don’t let negativity adversely impact your attitude nor experience. 
Mauibabes

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

They will pick up food /supplies along the way

Just like any other cruises

Mostly agree with this, but certain items can not be obtained at all ports, only “home ports” used by shorter cruises, from pre-certified suppliers.

That said, most people I have met aboard, are very satisfied with with our ATW experience, so far.🙂

11 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I've been on an Insignia ATW segment and I didn't perceive anything that struck me as special.

They do have certain events on the ATW cruise that are offered exclusively to ATW passengers, usually no more than one per “segment”.

They also have certain merchandise on board distributed only to ATW passengers…

6 hours ago, bob brown said:

They do have certain events on the ATW cruise that are offered exclusively to ATW passengers, usually no more than one per “segment”.

They also have certain merchandise on board distributed only to ATW passengers…

Bob

I know that, but as you said those events and merchandise are only for ATW passengers and don't affect segment passengers, who may not even be aware that they exist. 

8 hours ago, bob brown said:

Mostly agree with this, but certain items can not be obtained at all ports, only “home ports” used by shorter cruises, from pre-certified suppliers.

That said, most people I have met aboard, are very satisfied with with our ATW experience, so far.🙂

They used to ship supplies to overseas ports  are they no longer doing that?

Here is another absurd review - https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=697153

The reviewer gives the ship 3 star rating because "There is great disorganization and red tape going through customs." How exactly this is Oceania fault? 

And another one - https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=697149 

1 star because O cancelled a port and did not call him at midnight to let him know..

Unreal.. would anyone take any of those reviews seriously??

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Unreal.. would anyone take any of those reviews seriously??

My rule of thumb is never to trust negative reviews as being reflective of the average cruiser. They're often the rantings of the .1% of cruisers who had a bad time and are looking for someone to blame. The satisfied 99% don't bother to post glowing reviews.

• Like 8