With premium wi-fi, can you receive wi-fi phone calls (not Whatsapp) on the Panorama?

NutsAboutGolf

Understand zoom, FaceTime, FB messaging, etc, all work.

I will be receiving an important cell phone when on a sailing while on a sea-day.  There’s no way to have them contact me any other way; even if I were home I wish they could just email vs calling me.  Sounds like I’ll simply just miss the call

Apparently nobody else knows what WiFi calling is except me and OP. FaceTime and Skype are not the same thing. But I realize everyone is trying to be helpful while giving unhelpful information.

If the call is seriously important, you can turn on your cell phone's cellular signal and roam on Cellular at Sea to make the call. Be sure cellular data is turned off (use wifi for data) and turn off airplane mode to connect to Cellular at Sea.

Rates for Cellular at Sea can be expensive - but if you need to make the call then it might be worth it. See your carrier's rates for that.

Another option would be a VOIP solution like SkypeOut - I get 60 minutes of SkypeOut a month as I am a Microsoft Office 365 subscriber. Granted this uses a different phone number than your cell number. I have never tried it onboard however.

Edited by mz-s
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of wifi calling, if you have an Android phone I was reading about a few flaws that have been discovered and you might want to disable it. There is a fix out for pixel phones, not sure about Samsung or others.

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

Apparently nobody else knows what WiFi calling is except me and OP. FaceTime and Skype are not the same thing. But I realize everyone is trying to be helpful while giving unhelpful information.

If the call is seriously important, you can turn on your cell phone's cellular signal and roam on Cellular at Sea to make the call. Be sure cellular data is turned off (use wifi for data) and turn off airplane mode to connect to Cellular at Sea.

Rates for Cellular at Sea can be expensive - but if you need to make the call then it might be worth it. See your carrier's rates for that.

Another option would be a VOIP solution like SkypeOut - I get 60 minutes of SkypeOut a month as I am a Microsoft Office 365 subscriber. Granted this uses a different phone number than your cell number. I have never tried it onboard however.

Thanks.  I have an iPhone and another issue is texting non-iPhone users in existing group texts

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Speaking of wifi calling, if you have an Android phone I was reading about a few flaws that have been discovered and you might want to disable it. There is a fix out for pixel phones, not sure about Samsung or others.

Thanks, have an iPhone

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks.  I have an iPhone and another issue is texting non-iPhone users in existing group texts

Cellular at Sea can handle SMS as well, at a cost per message (again, dependent upon your carrier's roaming rates).