Ship boarding time

FrankieJayIII

Went on to see when we were going to be allowed to board... there were (3) boarding groups with 0 available time slots. 

When do you get assigned to a boarding group?

Does the app ever open it up and give you opportunity to select your boarding group?

When does that typically happen?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

Went on to see when we were going to be allowed to board... there were (3) boarding groups with 0 available time slots. 

Does the app ever open it up and give you opportunity to select your boarding group?

Yes, the groups open for selection. It was 60 days ahead of sailing on my most recent cruise.

An email assigning those who haven’t selected boarding times to times would be sent a day or two before sailing 

• Like 2

And just be advised...they DO NOT check you against any list to see when your boarding time really is.  No enforcement of any type other than letting handicapped pax and then Elites on first.  After that...just walk on in to the terminal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

And just be advised...they DO NOT check you against any list to see when your boarding time really is.  No enforcement of any type other than letting handicapped pax and then Elites on first.  After that...just walk on in to the terminal.

We have had a cruise where boarding times were checked.  It was over a year ago though.  I wouldn't want to count on not needing a time unless it's a port that I use frequently and am absolutely certain about.  IMO It's well worth making the effort to select a boarding time.  

• Like 1

Let me clarify...I am not advocating for anarchy!  😄 Sure...go ahead and select a group/time if it makes you more comfortable.  All I can speak to is my own experience for the past 6 or 7 cruises, both pre and post-pandemic.  We have NEVER been checked for a "matching" boarding time.  You are the very first person I have ever run across that says otherwise...everybody needs to make their own decision.

17 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

We usually select one, but it is generally meaningless.  We always get to the port early and they board us as the first group. (ADA)

When I finally located the boarding times on the Medallion app, I saw only 2:30 was available. 

I will do like I have on previous cruises:  show up around 10:30 or 11. This is hat I did even though the boarding group had us in a boarding group that was 2-4 hours later.  We've always been able to get on board by noon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

where did you locate that on the app?

You click on Personal Information and Documents then scroll down to the "Suggested" section on the next screen and click on Arrivals

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Torfamm said:

We have had a cruise where boarding times were checked.  It was over a year ago though.  I wouldn't want to count on not needing a time unless it's a port that I use frequently and am absolutely certain about.  IMO It's well worth making the effort to select a boarding time.  

They invented the Arrival Group concept due to Covid so they could supposedly manage the flow and they had/have the flexibility to adjust the numbers in each group and sub-group.  With Covid protocols basically gone by-the-by, doesn't matter as much.  Princess doesn't tell us the size of groups.

Edited by Steelers36

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

They invented the Arrival Group concept due to Covid so they could supposedly manage the flow and they had/have the flexibility to adjust the numbers in each group and sub-group.  With Covid protocols basically gone by-the-by, doesn't matter as much.  Princess doesn't tell us the size of groups.

I think that’s true for sure in North America ports but the poster who asked the original question didn’t say where they are embarking. I wouldn’t take the chance and assume that Asia, Australia, or New Zealand ports won’t check boarding times. 

43 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Pre-covid19 it used to be called PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN  and the grouping was based by deck.

For example this is the type of information that was in the Booking Notification email that used to be sent about 2 weeks before embarkation pre-Covid19:

image.png.20c501b5934ef594151f8db91355cf8a.png

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Pre-covid19 it used to be called PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN  and the grouping was based by deck.

For example this is the type of information that was in the Booking Notification email that used to be sent about 2 weeks before embarkation pre-Covid19:

image.png.20c501b5934ef594151f8db91355cf8a.png

Right and I think many guests received that information.  It was patently unfair because luck of the draw sort of thing based on where you happen to have a cabin.  Many folks on the first decks might be coming later and many on the final decks might be there sooner.  One thing has been true and that is that guests with priority could/can arrive anytime that suits them for check-in. 

At least with arrival groups, the guest has the opportunity to select their preferred time slot and if it is important to them, they can be prepared to select early on when it opens.  Of course, we know also that many guests have issues with the Princess App, so they should not have be last to check-in through no fault of their own.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

I think that’s true for sure in North America ports but the poster who asked the original question didn’t say where they are embarking. I wouldn’t take the chance and assume that Asia, Australia, or New Zealand ports won’t check boarding times. 

There was no questions asked nor checking in Civitavecchia last year.  In fact, I have seen very little reporting of this on here and if a guest has priority check-in access, it doesn't matter.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Right and I think many guests received that information.  It was patently unfair because luck of the draw sort of thing based on where you happen to have a cabin.  Many folks on the first decks might be coming later and many on the final decks might be there sooner.  One thing has been true and that is that guests with priority could/can arrive anytime that suits them for check-in. 

At least with arrival groups, the guest has the opportunity to select their preferred time slot and if it is important to them, they can be prepared to select early on when it opens.  Of course, we know also that many guests have issues with the Princess App, so they should not have be last to check-in through no fault of their own.

The Medallion App does not make it obvious where to select an Arrival Group.  It is buried a couple of menu levels down. IMHO not a very good UI design.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, brisalta said:

The Medallion App does not make it obvious where to select an Arrival Group.  It is buried a couple of menu levels down. IMHO not a very good UI design.

It was more obvious in an earlier version and was part of a redesign last year (early Fall perhaps??).  Don't recall which month it changed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, damiross said:

When I finally located the boarding times on the Medallion app, I saw only 2:30 was available. 

I will do like I have on previous cruises:  show up around 10:30 or 11. This is hat I did even though the boarding group had us in a boarding group that was 2-4 hours later.  We've always been able to get on board by noon.

Yup, that's what we've always done.  The only place that was of concern was Singapore, because Singaporeans like to live by rules.  But even there, we just showed up early and boarded early.

22 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It was more obvious in an earlier version and was part of a redesign last year (early Fall perhaps??).  Don't recall which month it changed.

I thought I had seen it in a different place when used for a prior cruise.

Hmmm typical fix for what is not broke 😉

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

There was no questions asked nor checking in Civitavecchia last year.

Or Barcelona. Just one long queue for everyone,  regardless of status,  boarding time etc.

We had a Club (now Reserve) minisuite,  and Princess on the advertising for this category show a couple happily walking aboard in isolated splendour ! We just stood in a queue for 30 minutes, but had a nice chat with the passengers around us. We were lucky - later arrivals waited for at least an hour in the midday sun.

7 hours ago, brisalta said:

I had to search last week when I selected mine. Then a friend on the same sailing couldn't find it either. Hate this app.