Dress code adherence

migdet71

I can’t believe I am getting into this discussion! I always have enjoyed the dressing up part…a lot!  But I am 68! Truly it’s so hard tho when you are have more land travel tagged on to beginning and end of a cruise. We have our whole family of 11…3 generation doing a 9 day Med this July. We have extra days and travel at both ends using trains after the cruise. Begin in Barcelona and ending in Frankfort. We are trying to limit ourselves to 22” bags and our totes. Just no other option. We “all” need to be able to handle our bags! 
We only eat in MDR. My husband and adult sons will wear collared shirts and slacks…Maybe a tie? By husband enjoys a sport coat…but not room for this. The boys..the same…collared shirts. We girls will wear dresses. Maybe linen or sundresses and not glitzy. Maybe w scarf and touch of jewelry. Nicer sandals. That’s it. Not going to worry and I think we will feel appropriate. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, all2me said:

I can’t believe I am getting into this discussion! I always have enjoyed the dressing up part…a lot!  But I am 68! Truly it’s so hard tho when you are have more land travel tagged on to beginning and end of a cruise. We have our whole family of 11…3 generation doing a 9 day Med this July. We have extra days and travel at both ends using trains after the cruise. Begin in Barcelona and ending in Frankfort. We are trying to limit ourselves to 22” bags and our totes. Just no other option. We “all” need to be able to handle our bags! 
We only eat in MDR. My husband and adult sons will wear collared shirts and slacks…Maybe a tie? By husband enjoys a sport coat…but not room for this. The boys..the same…collared shirts. We girls will wear dresses. Maybe linen or sundresses and not glitzy. Maybe w scarf and touch of jewelry. Nicer sandals. That’s it. Not going to worry and I think we will feel appropriate. 

And that’s what matters, you all feel good, look smart, and you all enjoy yourselves.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Type of Cruising clientele? 🤔so people who cruise less than 10 days and / or in the Caribbean are what in your opinion? 

They are usually younger and more obnoxious , so I am told by friend who has cruised in the Caribbean , the cruises are more of party time 

The cruises I have been in the Med and longer cruise eg transatlantic cruise have an older clientele 

5 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

They are usually younger and more obnoxious , so I am told by friend who has cruised in the Caribbean , the cruises are more of party time 

The cruises I have been in the Med and longer cruise eg transatlantic cruise have an older clientele 

👍we are in our 50s, and granted my husband is obnoxious 😂. But seriously on the 4 Caribbean cruises we have done we have actually felt young and have loved the mature atmosphere of the Equinox. And love seeing people dressing up on chic night. Formal wear not for us but we like to think we dress nicely and appropriately.

Edited by C4HCG

49 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Thank goodness ripped jeans are only stylish for twenties and under.    What about the pants worn way below the waist with underwear in full show?    I don’t like it when people don’t make an effort in the evening.   I at least hope they have showered/cleaned up so I don’t have to smell them.   That really puts me off eating.

They've actually made a tremendous effort. You may not like it, but everything they're wearing or carrying has been thought out, down to the comb in their hair or back pocket. They didn't just come from shooting hoops, unless they're maybe 14. You can't shoot hoops dressed that way. Yeah, some try to get away with tanks/wife beaters, but not all of them.

They've put far more thought into their dress than the people who grab the $20 khaki's from Kirkland in the size they wore 15 years ago, didn't try them on, and now either are flashing their ankle or walking off the hem as they try to close the fly or keep them from falling off. Along with a Kirkland polo and/or Hawaiian style shirt. But that's completely acceptable.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Why do people think that tearing holes in their clothing is “fashion”?  The 80s called.  They want their clothes back.

Because it is fashion. And they don't know what the 80's are. Complement them on their look if you want to freak them out. If they think it's "old" they might stop it,

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Well….seriously?  We are in our 70’s, cruise 7-11 days and have never been obnoxious.  Your friend is mistaken…..we only cruise Caribbean routes.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Thank goodness ripped jeans are only stylish for twenties and under.    What about the pants worn way below the waist with underwear in full show?    I don’t like it when people don’t make an effort in the evening.   I at least hope they have showered/cleaned up so I don’t have to smell them.   That really puts me off eating.

I’ve smelled more stinky crew members, for what ever reason often the photographers…Unfortunately it’s often a cultural thing

I honestly don't care what anyone wears, what I DO care about is that the same rules apply to all....on our last cruise my hubby saw a few men, well into their 30's so not children, wearing shorts, tanks, and baseball caps turned backwards.  Again, I don't care BUT since they did it he decided the next day he could wear his shorts too with a nice polo shirt.  I advised against it but....they actually asked him to go put on slacks!  So is it whether you have nice legs or not???😂  Just make the rules apply to all...

• Like 1

Hmmmm.  I wear either turtleneck t-shirts and a shorts coat or collared polish.  Kakhis that are clean.

I don't care what others wear unless like the "person" that wore a "F#$%ing 49ers" t-shirt.  They let him in and after numerous complaints had him leave to change.

Sort of like a local very nice restaurant where for men a collared shirt OR sportscoat is required.  If you don't like the rules don't go.  If others are totally completely violating the rules - SAY SOMETHING to the crew.  Does no good here.

And as for luggage - for 28 days of cruising - a TA and an Arctic Norway DW and I have 1 suitcase and a carry-on.  Not hard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You know you've crossed over the line and turning into your parents when you say things like this ^ . Your parents most likely said the same about your generation. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, davekathy said:

You know you've crossed over the line and turning into your parents when you say things like this ^ . Your parents most likely said the same about your generation. 

Since you’re so hip, why DO the young men need to show me their underwear?  Are they flirting with me?  😂

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2023 at 5:38 PM, migdet71 said:

First time Celebrity cruisers, and we're wondering if the "Chic" attire applies to the entire ship or just MDR/specialty dining and shows.  We don't eat in the MDR, so on "Chic" nights are we going to get the stink eye for wandering the ship in nice shorts, sandals and camp shirts?  I've scoured the web site and it's not really clear on the subject.  Thanks in advance

One of the things I like about Celebrity is the elimination of "formal night" in favor of more casual dress.  It is interesting that the suggestion for "chic night" is really pretty much the same as "smart casual" nights. The main difference being jeans vs designer jeans, whatever that means. 😀  Anyway, to your question and based on several Celebrity cruses, you won't need to worry about wandering around public areas in shorts.  

Just make it consistent.

Ripped jeans for women.

Ripped jeans for men.

Sandals for women.

Sandals for men.

Sleeveless shirts for women.

Sleeveless shirts for men.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 9:27 PM, MarKay525 said:

Chic applies only to the MDR - not to specialty restaurants, Blu, Luminae or the buffet.

Years ago, people "dressed up" for dinner and the theatre. Now you see everything everywhere all evening. There will always be people who judge, and there will always be people in the theatre  in shorts.

This is good to know! We’re packing right now for our 33-night Eclipse cruise in an Aqua cabin. So I guess I can take my long sleeve dress shirt out of the suit case and hang it back up in the closet and just wear a nice polo shirt and dockers to Blu on Chic night. Yay!!

Edited by Ken the cruiser

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This is good to know! We’re packing right now for our 33-night Eclipse cruise in an Aqua cabin. So I guess I can take my long sleeve dress shirt out of the suit case and hang it back up in the closet and just wear a nice polo shirt and dockers to Blu on Chic night. Yay!!

Even "if" you were to dine in the MDR. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

The ships & rules belong to Celebrity.  As long as those rules are applied equally across the board, that is all I care about.  (ie, if women can wear dress shorts to MDR, so can men)  There are ample dining options so if I don't want to abide by the dress code one evening, I can find somewhere else to eat.