Docking in Monaco

springtravel

We will be on Viking Sky in April, with one day in Monaco.  Does anyone know where the port is located and how far from the train station?  We would like to take the train, on our own, to Nice and need the easiest route to access it.  Thanks.

Check your itinerary as to when you ship will port. Many years ago on another  cruise line we  tendered at Villa Franche , next to Monaco and Nice. We took the train to Nice. It was easy peasy, it  took 15 minutes to get to Nice. Their train station is lovely. We spent most of the day in Nice and took train back. 

Love this coast of France. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, springtravel said:

We will be on Viking Sky in April, with one day in Monaco.  Does anyone know where the port is located and how far from the train station?  We would like to take the train, on our own, to Nice and need the easiest route to access it.  Thanks.

As Azulann posted, please check the itinerary on your pax statement, as Monaco/Monte Carlo has a number of docking/tendering options.

If berthing in Monaco, it does have a berth, which is on the inner side of the breakwater. Probably about a mile to the train station. Only 1 ship can dock alongside, so you can also tender into Monaco, but I'm not sure where they land.

Another tendering option is Villefranche-sur-Mer, which is a sheltered bay just east of Nice.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Another tendering option is Villefranche-sur-Mer, which is a sheltered bay just east of Nice.

This is where we were in late February.  You have to tender ashore, then take a bus or train to Monaco or wherever you want to go.  It is a pretty port, though very small.  The weather was so bad when we were there that the captain wouldn’t use his own tenders, but hired the town ones, which were bigger.  We didn’t even try to go into Monaco, just wandered around Villefrance-sur-Mer.  Here is its Chapelle St. Pierre.EC3E68D9-EBF3-47AE-AF31-ACD1BC938045.thumb.jpeg.a04d7224f5869bccb7c02b7fcad4581b.jpeg

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 4

In February, it was pretty much all still closed up.  But I have never been anywhere where we didn’t find something interesting to see or do.  And we loved getting out on our own a bit!  Where else would we have seen a chapel with two blues eyes and eyelashes?!?

• Haha 1

We were there pre-C, on January 1.  We docked inside the breakwater.  

We took the 100 bus into Nice (the Nice-Menton bus). It was a 20 minute walk or so, closer than the train station.   The ride was beautiful; the water was azure and the sky was bright and sunny.  

• Like 2

On our cruise next February they’ve changed port from Monte Carlo to VilleFranche.  Also be aware if you’re docking on a Sunday (as we are) trains are not as regular and it will also be very quiet as nothing much will be open.

Should be lovely in April.  The bus to Nice is easily accessed from the docking place in Monaco, or the tender dock in Port de Fontvielle in Monaco  If you are in Villefranche you are already more than half way to Nice on the same bus No 100.   There is a tourist information inside the small terminal in Monaco if you are docked there and a Tourist office near the bus stop in Villefranche near the bus stop.  Check locations on Google maps.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Azulann said:

Check your itinerary as to when you ship will port

Our pax statement say Monaco/Monte Carlo and that it's tendered.  In looking at a map, there is a town called Niceville as well.  Anyone been to both and can compare?  We will just be wandering around, not looking for anything specific, except a great lunch, of course.

4 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

There is a tourist information inside the small terminal in Monaco if you are docked there and a Tourist office near the bus stop in Villefranche near the bus stop.  Check locations on Google maps.

Thank you, very good to know.  

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We took the 100 bus into Nice (the Nice-Menton bus). It was a 20 minute walk or so, closer than the train station.

Where did you buy the bus ticket?  And, how did you find the location of the 100 bus? 

1 hour ago, springtravel said:

Our pax statement say Monaco/Monte Carlo and that it's tendered.  In looking at a map, there is a town called Niceville as well.  Anyone been to both and can compare?  We will just be wandering around, not looking for anything specific, except a great lunch, of course.

Ville is French for Town so perhaps it's just an area in Nice - Town centre perhaps.   I looked on Google maps and cant see Niceville - although apparently there is one in Florida,

Google Maps and street view is your friend !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, springtravel said:

I haven't tendered in Monaco, but they have 2 options for cruise ships - the main harbour or the smaller boat harbour west of the rock. 

Haven't heard of Niceville, but the city of Nice is 10 - 12 mls west of Monaco. Both are interesting places to wander independently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, springtravel said:

Where did you buy the bus ticket?  And, how did you find the location of the 100 bus? 

Bought our tickets on the bus. This is a local bus route. You can find the schedule and route information online; just Google "Nice-Menton 100." I used Google maps to find the bus stops.

A few years ago, I posted a marked up map of the area and how we got to the bus stop. Fortunately, I saved it -- actually, it took two screen shots. The name of the bus stop was PLACES DES ARMES -- if you docked as shown (the ship docks where the harbormaster tells them to dock regardless of what it says on the invoice).

ToPlacedesArmes2.thumb.JPG.17fcfc01839f11e1da0a141a0a56d425.JPG

ToPlacedesArmes.thumb.JPG.94c1dd1e55aa15e3e824f71914b275f3.JPG

Our route was a bit roundabout but it made for less traffic. I don't remember how long the walk took since we stopped along the way a few times -- ATM, photos, etc. It is an uphill walk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Thanksgiving Day, 2021, we visited Nice/Eze/Monaco on Viking Sea.  We anchored and tendered in to Villefranch-Sur-Mer.  It was not that bad a tender.  The town looked very nice to walk around.  Learned it was made famous (infamous?) by the Rolling Stones .

https://www.purefrance.com/en/blog/villefranche-sur-mer-and-the-rolling-stones

Some shots.  

Map-Villefranch-Sur-Mer.thumb.JPG.889494e90e2c8c24e13a8bc39d88549c.JPGTenderDock-Villefranch-Sur-Mer.thumb.JPG.aaefbf56d0afec3983ada4f9f19dc2fc.JPGVikingSeaanchoredoutside-Villefranch-Sur-Mer.thumb.JPG.e36ed59f4dd219986c45825775a391d8.JPGVikingSeaatNight-Villfranche-sur-Mer.thumb.JPG.22d90507d6c18dbeee75d33e574e07e7.JPG

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

A few years ago, I posted a marked up map of the area and how we got to the bus stop. Fortunately, I saved it -- actually, it took two screen shots.

Wow, so glad you saved the photos.  These boards have the best info.  I really appreciate everyone chiming in.  

7 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Ville is French for Town so perhaps it's just an area in Nice - Town centre perhaps.   I looked on Google maps and cant see Niceville - although apparently there is one in Florida,

Google Maps and street view is your friend !

I believe that Nice Ville is the "old city," a Nice neighborhood.   It is walking distance from where the 100 bus turns around for the return trip to Menton.  We headed that direction on our New Year's Day visit because all the museums were closed.  

• Like 2