Wonder Shows

DWhit

We are booked for a trip on the Wonder of the Seas at the end of April.  We noticed on the app that all the evening entertainment shows are showing “sold out”.   

Is this normal?  Do they open up more seats as we get closer to departure?  Anyone have prior experience with just walking up to the theatre before the show on the Wonder?  

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, DWhit said:

We are booked for a trip on the Wonder of the Seas at the end of April.  We noticed on the app that all the evening entertainment shows are showing “sold out”.   

Is this normal?  Do they open up more seats as we get closer to departure?  Anyone have prior experience with just walking up to the theatre before the show on the Wonder?  

Thanks!

Some open on boarding day, if not then there is always a non reservation line at the entrance to the showroom, Line is let in 10 minutes before showtime. 

• Like 1

This is normal, show reservations open up the month before your sailing, so yours more than likely have been open since March 1st.  We were just on the Wonder and each show had a stand by line that some were able to get in, how many? I have no idea but I'd guess the earlier you line up the better.  Also on embarkation day in front of the theater there was a table set up for the shows and they were taking reservations and requests, I have heard sometimes they hold some reservations for guests to make on embarkation day but I don't know the validity of that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

We have done a couple of cruises on Oasis and one on Harmony and have not had problems.  Is the Wonder’s class that different?

Edited by DWhit

8 minutes ago, DWhit said:

We have done a couple of cruises on Oasis and one on Harmony and have not had problems.  Is the Wonder’s class that different?

We've sailed both the Oasis and Allure prior to the Wonder and the reservation system was about the same.  Most all of the shows we've seen on the Oasis class ships have been well attended and sold out prior to the cruise.

I was going to start a new thread, but seemed close enough to question we have about booking shows before one even gets onboard.  A friend at the local pool today, going on the Harmony in April, was really dejected as he found out he and his wife was 'locked' out of both the skating shows in studio B AND the Grease production show.  He had no idea that one could book these shows BEFORE you get on the ship...nor did we.  We have always booked shows FIRST thing once onboard. Is this something new for Royal?  If so...we HATE it [as of course, our friend...who is planning to write a complaint to Royal...a fart in the wind, but heck, would feel good].

So this prompted me tonight to ask for more information on this NEW policy [new to us anyway]...and how to navigate around this horrible development?  We live in Florida, and we are accustomed to having things booked like the first minute after midnight the maximum alloted time by all the snowbirds coming down in their RV's for the winter...all computerized...really [especially state parks...some that are IMPOSSIBLE to get into].  So, is this what is going to happen on booking the shows on a given Royal ship?  Everything booked out the first few minutes after midnight when such bookings open up?  Being locked out, a month in advance of, say, one of the major attractions like the Grease production show on Harmony [like our friend is now]...well, that changes the whole complextion of why even go in the first place [we book the mega ships ourselves, mainly due to the shows aboard].  We've never had a problem booking once on board...but now who knows.  Any words of wisdom here that we can cheer our friend up, and perhaps take some of the SCARE out of us [we have two Royal cruises later in the year].  More rat race it looks like; not just for the lido lounges!

4 minutes ago, LinRon3 said:

I was going to start a new thread, but seemed close enough to question we have about booking shows before one even gets onboard.  A friend at the local pool today, going on the Harmony in April, was really dejected as he found out he and his wife was 'locked' out of both the skating shows in studio B AND the Grease production show.  He had no idea that one could book these shows BEFORE you get on the ship...nor did we.  We have always booked shows FIRST thing once onboard. Is this something new for Royal?  If so...we HATE it [as of course, our friend...who is planning to write a complaint to Royal...a fart in the wind, but heck, would feel good].

So this prompted me tonight to ask for more information on this NEW policy [new to us anyway]...and how to navigate around this horrible development?  We live in Florida, and we are accustomed to having things booked like the first minute after midnight the maximum alloted time by all the snowbirds coming down in their RV's for the winter...all computerized...really [especially state parks...some that are IMPOSSIBLE to get into].  So, is this what is going to happen on booking the shows on a given Royal ship?  Everything booked out the first few minutes after midnight when such bookings open up?  Being locked out, a month in advance of, say, one of the major attractions like the Grease production show on Harmony [like our friend is now]...well, that changes the whole complextion of why even go in the first place [we book the mega ships ourselves, mainly due to the shows aboard].  We've never had a problem booking once on board...but now who knows.  Any words of wisdom here that we can cheer our friend up, and perhaps take some of the SCARE out of us [we have two Royal cruises later in the year].  More rat race it looks like; not just for the lido lounges!

Shows book up fast but as previously mentioned there is a wait line that is usually seated and there are some slots once you get on board.  You can be directed to a box office desk. 

Lots of people reserve a show and then don't go.   Last week we were headed to bed and walked past the "sold out" comedy show.   We could not get tickets for all week.  We went to the door, and were allowed in without any reservation.  The place was less than 1/2 full.  (This was an 11:30 show).

It is my understanding the pre cruise booking is to give everyone a fair chance at show reservations not just those who get to the ship early. I checked the website every day  from about 6 weeks prior to the cruise to see if entertainment opened.  It opened  about 5 weeks prior. 

Good luck.

M

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

Although shows do fill up, they hold back some seats for those not reserved.  Plus, this is not something new and discussed for decades.  At 60 days out, entertainment reservations open, and you can book.  No, you don't have to wake up at midnight, I did not.  The only issue I had was the mystery room, which is not really a show, but I did get an acceptable time but many times were filled.  

What is the complaint, that it opens at 60 days instead of boarding day?  Any day it opens, the idea that a show can fill up will still exist.  

I'm sure you will get to see Grease....just go to the line with no reservations, and you will be seated, although maybe in the back.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:25 PM, DWhit said:

Thanks!

Well you can always stand in back for Aqua show and ice show. I have and people leave and you can fill in sometimes.

Also for main theatre try balcony just as show is starting.

only comedy club is hard without reservations but honestly more and more of the comedians I have found are just ok and or crude. 

12 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Although shows do fill up, they hold back some seats for those not reserved.  Plus, this is not something new and discussed for decades.  At 60 days out, entertainment reservations open, and you can book.  No, you don't have to wake up at midnight, I did not.  The only issue I had was the mystery room, which is not really a show, but I did get an acceptable time but many times were filled.  

What is the complaint, that it opens at 60 days instead of boarding day?  Any day it opens, the idea that a show can fill up will still exist.  

I'm sure you will get to see Grease....just go to the line with no reservations, and you will be seated, although maybe in the back.

With all respect, you say this has been in effect decades?  We've never seen this available from cruise planner or the Royal App...several mega ships and beau coup other Royal ships since 2016 when we started cruising?  Is this something just on 'some' royal ships, like the Wonder?  Is there some way to know [be notified by Royal] when, on a specific ship, such bookings might be made available?  This is totally new to us; and we are somewhat shocked we haven't see it before IF it's been available because are constantly on that APP and cruise planner many weeks before a cruise [we are avid cruisers...our big thing in life now].  Yes, we will stay up 1 minute past that midnight on first booking day just to make sure we get a booking [on whatever show it might pertain to that we want to see].  Which brings up another issue to all this...just how can one find out what shows exist for a given cruise?  We found this very hard to find out and often from dated information too.  So, yea, this is quite frustrating.  At least once on board, one can find out the actual shows and dates etc.  I guess our experience has been somewhat different that others here.  We've never had a problem though BTW...once onboard; well, yes, maybe one aqua show that was cancelled due to bad seas and further shows already sold out [on the Symphony].  But thank you to all posting on this thread as we are now duly notified and will adapt [just have to get up to lido by 7am to get a lounge I guess]...uh...sorry; that's another issue, LOL.   It's still impossible to book a florida state park 11 months in advance [the better ones anyway].  All in fun.  [at least you can still get a second lobster in the MDR for free].

9 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

With all respect, you say this has been in effect decades?  We've never seen this available from cruise planner or the Royal App...several mega ships and beau coup other Royal ships since 2016 when we started cruising?  Is this something just on 'some' royal ships, like the Wonder?  Is there some way to know [be notified by Royal] when, on a specific ship, such bookings might be made available?  This is totally new to us; and we are somewhat shocked we haven't see it before IF it's been available because are constantly on that APP and cruise planner many weeks before a cruise [we are avid cruisers...our big thing in life now].  Yes, we will stay up 1 minute past that midnight on first booking day just to make sure we get a booking [on whatever show it might pertain to that we want to see].  Which brings up another issue to all this...just how can one find out what shows exist for a given cruise?  We found this very hard to find out and often from dated information too.  So, yea, this is quite frustrating.  At least once on board, one can find out the actual shows and dates etc.  I guess our experience has been somewhat different that others here.  We've never had a problem though BTW...once onboard; well, yes, maybe one aqua show that was cancelled due to bad seas and further shows already sold out [on the Symphony].  But thank you to all posting on this thread as we are now duly notified and will adapt [just have to get up to lido by 7am to get a lounge I guess]...uh...sorry; that's another issue, LOL.   It's still impossible to book a florida state park 11 months in advance [the better ones anyway].  All in fun.  [at least you can still get a second lobster in the MDR for free].

2011 and 2014 I was on Oasis class ships.  The first ship came out I think in 2007 so not "decades" but rather a decade.  I misspoke.  Shows will show on cruise planner for Oasis class ships at 60 days before.  Like a cruise planner items, they just show up.  No need to stay up at midnight, the shows won't get reserved that fast.  No need to see what shows are on any other ship, since no reservations are used.  

The App is something really new, and the old app is different. I prefer the webpage.  I might also add that when I was last on an Oasis class ship, the huge amount of info found on the internet, like this site was not in existence.  

Besides the shows, many excursions sell out, and that seems to be a point of people complaining also.  

As far as shows are concerned if you keep reading on the internet, you will find so many people don't actually go to the shows, just like so many people now opt for MDT.  Because they don't like to be told times I guess.  For the shows, people reserve the shows just in case.  You will have no issues going to a show, without a reservation, because a huge amount of people will forget or just not go,except for the adult comedy which seems to be very popular.  

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 6:57 AM, Joseph2017China said:

As far as shows are concerned if you keep reading on the internet, you will find so many people don't actually go to the shows, just like so many people now opt for MDT.  Because they don't like to be told times I guess.  For the shows, people reserve the shows just in case.  You will have no issues going to a show, without a reservation, because a huge amount of people will forget or just not go,except for the adult comedy which seems to be very popular.  

This is what I was hoping to hear, and it is in line with my prior trips on Oasis and Harmony.  I am thinking we will be fine, and I was just needlessly worried since this was the first time I noticed all the shows listed as “sold out”.

On 3/29/2023 at 11:10 PM, LinRon3 said:

This is a major problem that rccl needs to address. You can book all you want in advance on day 1 of opening which isnt even clear.  Otherwise you can try once onboard for the scraps and if you are savvy or are willing to accept obstructed view you can do it onboard. Why not let everyone book 2 shows and fight the rest out onboard. Why reward the bored who are on the computer all day?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not to beleaguer this subject of prior booking of shows 'before' embarkation day [especially on mega ships]...my wife offered a question that might clear some things if true?  Maybe the shows open up before embarkation for SUITE guests only [or higher level cabins]?  That might explain why we've never seen this 'before a cruise' booking opportunities on the app?  Though I doubt this is the case, it is plausible at least, and I told my wife I'd ask here on cruise critic this question.  Do suite and above guests perhaps gain this added benefit of ability to book shows before embarkation?  It would explain why we've never seen this on the cruises we've booked [we've never booked a suite or above].  

4 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

It is true that they open up reservations early, however, they hold back a lot of spots that open up on embarkation morning. You can log into the wifi in the terminal and book whatever you want. 

Cheers! 

Yes, this has always been the case for us as we've never had a problem booking on the first day on board a cruise [4 mega ship cruises under our belts].  However, a friend of ours is on the Harmony in just a few weeks [late April] and said he and his wife were locked out of both the broadway show [Grease I believe] and the Ice show(s?).   That would be most disheartening if it were us, as one of the big reasons we book the mega ships is for the shows. That's when I found this thread here on Cruise Critic.  We always check our app weeks prior to a cruise, but from now on we will check even more closely.  That would be horrible to see we couldn't get into a show BEFORE we even get onboard.  Thanks to all here for the heads up on this precarious situation.   We assume the idea that prior bookings for suite guests only was, well, it was just an idea [trying to explain to ourselves why we've never seen this before].  Again, thanks to all.  

Hello all

for clarification. 

we hold back 10% of ticket inventory which gets released boarding day morning. 

When you get onboard, book through the app or visit the live box office, but make it the first thing you do to not disappoint. 

Mike

• Like 1

Once on board the Wonder, we had no issues book the Aqua Show, Ice Show, Tap Factory 2.0 and one comedy ( with same 2 yokels yoking every night, no reason to see more than once unless you like to see both rag on the same audience members ).