Brisbane hotel recommendations for crusie terminal and airport

Looking for hotel near ship terminal and airport for 2 nights (Oct. 29 -31, 2023) in Brisbane before flight back to SFO. Also, one that will work to see some of the area.  Have  been looking but nothing. 

Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated

33 minutes ago, sfjakey said:

Looking for hotel near ship terminal and airport for 2 nights (Oct. 29 -31, 2023) in Brisbane before flight back to SFO. Also, one that will work to see some of the area.  Have  been looking but nothing. 

There is no accommodation near the ship terminal in Brisbane. If you were simply spending the night and weren't interested in sightseeing I would suggest one of the motels in Hamilton (20 minutes' drive away). However, these motels are not good when you want to go sightseeing for a day. In my opinion, you should definitely look for accommodation in the centre of Brisbane city. There is quite a range of accommodation available.

Hi, by chance we stayed a night at the Holiday Inn Express in the city, it was walking distance to Southbank and to the Roma Street Gardens. It was super clean, modern, ultra comfortable and we had a lovely city view. As a bonus a fairly basic but adequate buffet breakfast was included. 

3 hours ago, sfjakey said:

We spent a night at the Pullman at Brisbane airport and then took a taxi next morning to the port. We were able to walk to the hotel from the airport, going first of all through the carpark and following the footpath. It is a very comfortable hotel and we enjoyed our stay there even though it was still just starting to open up after coming out of lockdown. This was last July   The taxi from the hotel to the port cost us around $45 and it is the nearest hotel to the Port. 

The cruise ship terminal is out of the way, in a flat industrial area surrounded by mangrove swamps. There are no shops or services nearby.

If you stay at Hamilton, further up the river, near where the former cruise ship terminal used to be,  there is a choice of moderate cost accommodation, and you are close to shops and restaurants. The end of the excellent public transport ferry system on the river is at Northside Hamilton. You can catch a ferry from there for a scenic ride up the river into the city itself.

https://translink.widen.net/s/w5lcdt9sr7/230109-brisbane-ferry-fare-zone

Edited by cruiser3775

1 hour ago, Aussie Gal said:

We spent a night at the Pullman at Brisbane airport and then took a taxi next morning to the port. We were able to walk to the hotel from the airport, going first of all through the carpark and following the footpath. It is a very comfortable hotel and we enjoyed our stay there even though it was still just starting to open up after coming out of lockdown. This was last July   The taxi from the hotel to the port cost us around $45 and it is the nearest hotel to the Port. 

The OP is asking about accommodation after their cruise and before flying to San Francisco. They want a hotel that can be used a a base for sightseeing before they fly home.

2 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

The cruise ship terminal is out of the way, in a flat industrial area surrounded by mangrove swamps. There are no shops or services nearby.

If you stay at Hamilton, further up the river, near where the former cruise ship terminal used to be,  there is a choice of moderate cost accommodation, and you are close to shops and restaurants. The end of the excellent public transport ferry system on the river is at Northside Hamilton. You can catch a ferry from there for a scenic ride up the river into the city itself.

The problem with using a Hamilton motel as a base, is that the ferry ride up the river is slow, then it is the same slow ride back at the end of the day.

It's probably slow if you are a regular commuter, but the City Cat takes about an hour to get from Hamilton to Southbank, and it's a scenic hour on the river.  As a visitor, I didn't feel it was a waste of my time.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The OP is asking about accommodation after their cruise and before flying to San Francisco. They want a hotel that can be used a a base for sightseeing before they fly home.

I understood he was looking for an hotel near the airport and cruise terminal so therefore my answer was correct being the nearest and best hotel to both!  

Otherwise if he wants to be near the city then he needs to ask about a city hotel.

You cannot have both as the airport is not near the city.

39 minutes ago, Aussie Gal said:

I understood he was looking for an hotel near the airport and cruise terminal so therefore my answer was correct being the nearest and best hotel to both!  

Otherwise if he wants to be near the city then he needs to ask about a city hotel.

You cannot have both as the airport is not near the city.

The OP asked for a hotel near the airport and the cruise terminal and one that would "work to see some of the area". We know there isn't any accommodation near the cruise terminal. They could either go to an airport hotel that is a long way from anything that would interest a visitor in the way or sightseeing, or one in the centre of Brisbane where they could do sightseeing. I felt a central Brisbane hotel would involve less cost in taxi fares. Up to them but I know which one I would prefer.🙂

On 4/1/2023 at 2:44 PM, Aus Traveller said:

The OP asked for a hotel near the airport and the cruise terminal and one that would "work to see some of the area". We know there isn't any accommodation near the cruise terminal. They could either go to an airport hotel that is a long way from anything that would interest a visitor in the way or sightseeing, or one in the centre of Brisbane where they could do sightseeing. I felt a central Brisbane hotel would involve less cost in taxi fares. Up to them but I know which one I would prefer.🙂

That is true. There is no particular hotel that will do all that the OP requests. When it comes to the airport, as with most lager cities, Brisbane is like SFO where the airport is nowhere near the Embarcadero.

We only stay in Hamilton if it is just a single night pre-cruise. It is doable to catch the cat up the river from Brett's Wharf, but I would agree for the sake of a couple of extra dollars on the taxi meter, that it is better to stay in the city if you want to see it.

1 hour ago, SuitesRbest said:

https://kingsfordsmithmotel.com.au/

In middle of Airport , City , and Terminal!! + Shuttle service!!

Kingsford Smith Motel is great for one night prior to a cruise, but I don't think it is ideal if the person wants to spend a day sightseeing. I thought Jean C's suggestion of Holiday Inn Express in the city was a good idea.

On 4/5/2023 at 8:49 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Kingsford Smith Motel is great for one night prior to a cruise, but I don't think it is ideal if the person wants to spend a day sightseeing. I thought Jean C's suggestion of Holiday Inn Express in the city was a good idea.

Thanks, if you want to look around the city and be able to walk to some main attractions then I definitely think you need to stay in the city, the taxi fare to and from the airport isn't much more.

Princess offers the Hyatt Regency Brisbane (2021 renovated Lennons Hotel) to passengers located on the Queen Street Mall in the CBD. Booking direct the rate is about A$300 per night which is less expensive than through Princess. It’s a short walk to South Bank and parks & gardens. We just booked the Around Australia cruise 23 months from now so we have plenty of time to research all of the ports & a couple of days pre-cruise in Brisbane after flying from LAX. During a 2009 pre-cruise 3 night stay in Sydney the Princess package included a city tour & to the Blue Mountain area.

Thanks for the recommendations for our first visit to Brisbane & will continue to follow this thread to gain more insights about Brisbane.

There is a motel at Hamilton which provides free transfers.  Someone on here will know the name.  (I’m on holidays).  You could catch the scenic ferry in to the city and back to see the city sights then get free transfer to the airport

when you depart.

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

There is a motel at Hamilton which provides free transfers.  Someone on here will know the name.  (I’m on holidays).  You could catch the scenic ferry in to the city and back to see the city sights then get free transfer to the airport

when you depart.

It was mentioned a few posts earlier - the Kingsford Smith Motel.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was mentioned a few posts earlier - the Kingsford Smith Motel.

There is more than one that does this, and you just need to book direct with the hotel and confirm your cruise terminal transfer when you book. At last check, late last year, Airolodge was still doing this as well.

I would grab a taxi after disembarking and head into Brisbane CBD or to South bank. Pick a hotel in these areas and you will be well based for a couple of days of Brisbane sights before you head home. Hotels will be able to arrange a taxi back to the airport for your flight home or there is the airport train service

We did the carnival Luminosa from the new passenger terminal in Brisbane.

we stayed at Novotel skygate which is right at the Factory outlet stores but has supermarkets, chemists, cafes and restaurants.

from Brisbane airport there is a free shuttle bus. We used this to get back to the airport and then take the train into the Brisbane city for some sightseeing. Loved the kids water park and all the gardens in Brisbane. Such a beautiful city.

the novel has a shuttle service that they arrange to take their guests to the port. I think it was about $40 pp?