Differences NCL-MSC

tommya

We've been on NCL a few times, and love the "freestyle" cruising.  I noticed you need to pick your dinner seating time and we're not used to that with NCL.  Can you get your own table (not sit with strangers)?  How does MSC compare?  Are there specific nights you need to be dressed up, can you just be casual, are restaurants by reservations only?  We're looking at a Rome-Barcelona...any specific comments about this cruise experience compared to NCL?  Thank you!

• Like 1

I am about to head out on my first MSC sailing this weekend, having sailed many times on NCL. I am not sure I can help too much, but I have done quite a bit of research in preparation for my cruise. My understanding is that shorts are not acceptable in the MDRs for dinner, but jeans are okay on non-formal nights. I believe the number of formal nights is dependent upon the length of the cruise, but for those slacks of some sort and a collared shirt are expected for men.

I do believe that the MDRs have tables for two, so you should not have to share. But, like on NCL, the tables are close together.

I also understand that reservations are required for Specialty Dining, but need to be made onboard. I have not found any way to reserve specialty dining on the app or the web site. May be able to call?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommya said:

We've been on NCL a few times, and love the "freestyle" cruising.  I noticed you need to pick your dinner seating time and we're not used to that with NCL.  Can you get your own table (not sit with strangers)?  How does MSC compare?  Are there specific nights you need to be dressed up, can you just be casual, are restaurants by reservations only?  We're looking at a Rome-Barcelona...any specific comments about this cruise experience compared to NCL?  Thank you!

If you want freestyle-type dining you have to book an Aurea cabin, not Bella or Fantastica.

Regarding evening attire, we found MSC to be dressier, overall, than RC and similar lines, due to the large number of non-Americans onboard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

If you want freestyle-type dining you have to book an Aurea cabin, not Bella or Fantastica.

Regarding evening attire, we found MSC to be dressier, overall, than RC and similar lines, due to the large number of non-Americans onboard.

The difference is the cost. NCL is a lot more for the same type cabin and a drink package. HOWEVER, NCL is a much better and polished cruise, especially the entertainment. If you want to save a couple grand, MSC is fine. Nice ships and relaxing, that's about it.

• Like 1

I miss NCL so hard! We used to do them all the time before COVID. Now we're doing RC/Celebrity due to pricing and itinerary. 

On the Meraviglia my sister in law and I sat at a tiny square table by ourselves. It looks like only big groups get a round table like on RC. They must be families or friends cruising together.

However the small table we were at was very very close to other tables. Like we might as well been sharing. I dunno, wasn't feeling it. Not sure if every ship is like this though. We'll be on Seaside in June. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, UnaPalomita said:

I miss NCL so hard! We used to do them all the time before COVID. Now we're doing RC/Celebrity due to pricing and itinerary. 

On the Meraviglia my sister in law and I sat at a tiny square table by ourselves. It looks like only big groups get a round table like on RC. They must be families or friends cruising together.

However the small table we were at was very very close to other tables. Like we might as well been sharing. I dunno, wasn't feeling it. Not sure if every ship is like this though. We'll be on Seaside in June. 

That's exactly how the tables for two in the NCL MDRs are as well. You are basically just sitting with 2-4 other people with 4 inches on between.

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

That's exactly how the tables for two in the NCL MDRs are as well. You are basically just sitting with 2-4 other people with 4 inches on between.

I don't remember that we ever have been that near other tables on NCL but it was a few years since we cruised with them so it might be different now.

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't remember that we ever have been that near other tables on NCL but it was a few years since we cruised with them so it might be different now.

Could be different on different ships. I have sailed primarily on the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships.

13 hours ago, UnaPalomita said:

Did you request a table for two? We travel as a twosome, but are always seated at a larger table (usually round) with a number of other people. If that is what you'd like, just ask.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I have cruised on NCL extensively (Breakaway 3X, Getaway, Spirit, Dawn, Sky, Jewel, Gem, Star, Pearl, and Sea) and do not remember tables for two being that close together. I'm not saying that they don't exist, just that we have never experienced it, unlike our experiences with Celebrity, where we we basically a party of four, or six, or eight.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

4" is quite the exaggeration.  But, there are quite close together, but you can still get between them.  Albeit shuffling sideways.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Could be different on different ships. I have sailed primarily on the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships.

I have been on the Breakaway and I don't remember the tables being very close. Most of our meals were in the Haven restaurant but we did use the MDR too.

Edited by sverigecruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Did you request a table for two? We travel as a twosome, but are always seated at a larger table (usually round) with a number of other people. If that is what you'd like, just ask.

On Meraviglia my sister in law and I did not make any special requests. We were just placed at a tiny table. There were many other couples/friends, parties of two at the late seating that were seated this way. 

Also you could not scoot in-between tables. They were very tightly packed. I might have a photo I can send if anyone is interested 🤷‍♀️

We'll be on Seaside in June in a party of 5. I am hoping we'll get a big round table. These were by the windows. We'll see.

Edited by UnaPalomita
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 9:07 PM, JamieLogical said:

It's also the same as Carnival and Royal.  

On 4/4/2023 at 11:16 AM, UnaPalomita said:

On Meraviglia my sister in law and I did not make any special requests. We were just placed at a tiny table. There were many other couples/friends, parties of two at the late seating that were seated this way. 

Also you could not scoot in-between tables. They were very tightly packed. I might have a photo I can send if anyone is interested 🤷‍♀️

We'll be on Seaside in June in a party of 5. I am hoping we'll get a big round table. These were by the windows. We'll see.

Are the reservations linked, for the five of you?  That would give you a table together.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Are the reservations linked, for the five of you?  That would give you a table together.

Not sure, but my sister in law is a TA and booked all of us. if not no worries, we usually do the buffet most of the time

On Meraviglia we had Aurea and anytime dining, never a wait. Tables weren’t that close together and we always sat alone just the 3 of us. We love NCL/Celebrity. You will find dinner portions are smaller (that was ok with me) but not as good as Celebrity. We ate in the dining room for breakfast every morning because the buffet is not great MSC compared to the others. No fresh custom omelette station, etc. dining room was better but we did sit with others as it is very packed and busy (maybe because buffet isn’t great.

I have never sailed on MSC, but I have sailed other lines, and I always request our own table due to my disability.  It's hard for me to be in noisy, crowded environments.  Folks also sometimes make comments or ask questions that are both distressing and none of their business. 

If you ask to be seated at a table for two or more, away from other people, they'll find you a corner and do the best they can. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 9:39 AM, tommya said:

any specific comments about this cruise experience compared to NCL? 

Having 'experienced' an H7 #9316 Aft facing Penthouse with Master Bedroom 655/236 sq. ft. (balconies get smaller as decks go up) there are 'conditions' one should be aware of.

Heard recent reports about NCL. Reducing staff. Reducing the number of cabin cleanings from 2 to 1 per day.  'Changing' staffing salaries, increasing workloads, etc. Cutbacks in entertainment. Besides industry increases in wifi, gratuities and beverage packages NCL is covering only fountain drinks in their drink packages and charging $5 should one request a 'can'. This increases the number of soiled glasses left in hallways, window sills, tables, theatre floor, etc..NCL is now charging its guests 3% to gamble unless one uses cash to load machines. Other than these one should still have a good time.

We have been on two MSC cruises but both were in YC so I can’t comment on the dining experiences.  I understand the MSC cruises in Europe may be very different than MSC cruises originating in US ports. 

Some differences may include later dining times, announcements made in several languages with English being last, and different foods being served. 

One thing we didn’t like on MSC was not knowing when lounge performers were scheduled. They gave a time range like 6:30pm-11:00pm. When we arrived at about 7:30pm, they might play for a few minutes and say they will be on a 15 minute break which was actually a 25-30 minute break.  It was more difficult to get served drinks in the MSC lounges than we experienced on NCL. 

We really loved the YC experience on MSC and have future cruises booked.  

• Like 1