Traveling with single mom and grandkids

Question... We will be sailing with our daughter and her two children. We do not have time to get passports. She is using their birth certificates which have their father's name on them. Does she need anything else other than their birth certificates. There is a custody agreement, he geta them for 3 hours every other Saturday and Sunday, the cruise is not over his weekend. 

I would suggest probably getting a notarized letter from him stating he’s ok with the trip and such. Maybe give more info such as ages of kids so others can answer, hopefully with experience, unlike my just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, easyqueasy said:

I would suggest probably getting a notarized letter from him stating he’s ok with the trip and such. Maybe give more info such as ages of kids so others can answer, hopefully with experience, unlike my just thinking out loud.

Sorry the kids are GS (9) and GD (4). The custody agreement on my gives him the visitation mentioned above. There is no deviation, no extra time, he can't even take them to his house. 

7 hours ago, tennislvr8 said:

Sorry the kids are GS (9) and GD (4). The custody agreement on my gives him the visitation mentioned above. There is no deviation, no extra time, he can't even take them to his house. 

Don't ask this board.  Get a letter giving permission from him, that is notarized and/or check with your court system to see if it is allowed w/o him and get it in writing from the court.  Do all this before you go and in this case, the court will be your answer, not us

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Don't ask this board.  Get a letter giving permission from him, that is notarized and/or check with your court system to see if it is allowed w/o him and get it in writing from the court.  Do all this before you go and in this case, the court will be your answer, not us

Deleted

Edited by crazyank

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

I'm sorry, I had to laugh.  Your first statement is good.  Makes total sense.  Don't rely on random answers on the internet, get in touch with a lawyer and make sure you're set.  

Then you give an answer.  LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, tennislvr8 said:

Question... We will be sailing with our daughter and her two children. We do not have time to get passports. She is using their birth certificates which have their father's name on them. Does she need anything else other than their birth certificates. There is a custody agreement, he geta them for 3 hours every other Saturday and Sunday, the cruise is not over his weekend. 

Curious, can underage kids get by with only a birth certificate, if parents have passports?  The turn around right now is 4 months for new passports and our trip is end of august, so it’s tight timing!

29 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm pretty sure I've read that -- in these circumstances -- you'd need the dad's permission to take the kids out of the country.  I'd rather have a notarized letter from him rather than risk being turned away at the port.  

Know where I lived in Divorce both Parents have to agree go take Kids over 3hrs away or out of State. Will there be any issues with OP either way, probably not. As Single Father raising 3 on my own rarely got questioned, but with young Kids of 2, 4, and 7yrs would always bring documentation just in case. Funny thing happened when my oldest was 12, multiple people Airport and Cruise thought she was my Wife and mother of my youngest Daughter. Question was even before that, "Where is her Drivers Licence." I'd reply, "Ah shes only 11"

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, tennislvr8 said:

Neither my daughter nor her kids have a passport. She will be using her driver's license and birth certificate and the kids will use their birth certificate. 

You may already know this, if your daughter’s last name on her drivers license Differs from her Birth Certificate, she would need a bridging document.

Edited by ocean sounds

16 minutes ago, ocean sounds said:

You may already know this, if your daughter’s last name on her drivers license Differs from her Birth Certificate, she would need a bridging document.

Thanks it doesn't they were never married and the kids have her last name. 

Hubby & I each have kids from prior marriages. I have a hyphenated last name (deceased first husband - current husband). My kids have their dad (first husband) last name. Hubby’s kids have his last name.  We’ve taken several cruises when the kids were minors.  

We ALWAYS traveled with a notarized letter from his ex & my first husband’s certified death certificate.  

It’s usually when we present the kids documentation (birth certificate, passport, etc) and not everyone’s last name exactly matches that we get asked.  We’ve been asked at airports to supply this documentation as well as cruises.  The kids have been questioned as to who we are in relation to each other, etc.  

It happened more when they were younger versus teens (they are all adults now). 

I wouldn’t chance it. I’d travel with some sort of documentation. 

• Like 2

My grandson is Burnett Michael.  He goes by Bear.  When he was about 4 the custom's agent asked him his name (comparing it to his passport) and he said Bear.  Who are you traveling with - he answered Nanni and Papow - which is what he calls us 🙂  Now at 12 things are a lot smoother when we travel with him.

On 4/4/2023 at 4:39 PM, sargemrs said:

Curious, can underage kids get by with only a birth certificate, if parents have passports?  The turn around right now is 4 months for new passports and our trip is end of august, so it’s tight timing!

yes they can.  We just returned from the Oasis and the adults had passports and their kids had birth certificates.

• Like 1