Diamond+ on RCCL, First Carnival Cruise

LONG POST

We have cruised almost exclusively on Royal Caribbean (RCCL).  We recently took our first Carnival (CCL) cruise, an 8 day Southern Caribbean voyage on Carnival Magic out of Port Canaveral.  I would like to offer a critique and some comparisons between RCCL and CCL.  

First, I would like to refute the notion that CCL cruises are just booze cruises with drunk, obnoxious and abusive people.  We met many very friendly people and the tone was for everyone to have a good time.  We did not encounter rude or abusive people at all.  This cruise was over 100% double occupancy capacity and this fact created the perfect atmosphere for conflict yet none was to be had.

We were also worried being in the spring break period there would be large numbers of college kids letting off steam.  However, an 8 night cruise isn't affordable for most college kids which is something to consider when booking is the spring break period.  I would theorize 3 and 4 night spring break cruises might have more young adults.  

A big plus for CCL is the before cruise online check in process.  If one is in the top 2 loyality tiers or booked in a suite you are allowed to do the online check in 2 days before all the other passengers.

At Port Canaveral we encountered a drug detection area for the first time.  After all the document check in activities the line to the ship included an area where groups of passengers were placed in a line against a wall and all luggage and backpacks were to be placed at your feet.  An officer had a drug sniffing dog check each carry on piece of luggage.  Not sure if the dog could detect any contraband on your person as none was detected in our "lineup."

We had chosen Any Time Dining and instead of making reservations for specific dining times each day one checked in to the queue for a table via the app each night.  The app estimated the current wait time (5 - 10 min, 10 - 20 min, 20 - 30 min, etc.) for a table to help you determine when to get in the virtual line.  Once your table was ready the app notified you as such and they would hold your table for 10 minutes.  We liked that!!

RCCL does a much better job with the buffet dining option as far as food lines go.  CCL has many more tables for dining and finding a table wasn't an issue but only 2 food buffet stations so lines were long and SLOW during prime time dining windows!!  The salad and hot food stations were combined so your choice for just salad was to be a line buster or wait. You could get to the desserts separately.  

In the morning the omelet and eggs to order were in its own station with a long line.  You could get continental breakfast breads and fruit in its own station which I chose on the first day to avoid the long line.  We did not eat at the buffet for any evening meal.

On both "Elegant" nights the dining room service was a bit slower.  BTW - Elegant seemed to mean sleeves on men's shirts and no ball caps.  There were many men in shorts.  That said there were some men in tux's or suits and women dressed in cocktail dresses and the like.  The Steak House specialty restaurant was the only dining venue that require men to match Elegant night requirements plus long pants.

Cabins were comparable.  We had booked an Ocean Suite and it matched up well with a Jr. Suite on RCCL at about $1K less cost. 

Would we cruise Carnival again?  Yes, but it would not be our first choice.  I missed some of the loyalty perks we get from RCCL especially the drink vouchers 🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the review and your observations on both cruise lines. We started out on Carnival ships when we started cruising then migrated over to Royal where we mostly cruise now!

But, we took a Carnival cruise last year and i wouldn't hesitate to do it again for the right itinerary.

I agree with your comment about the longer cruises. Since we always book at least 7 day cruises (longer if we can get them!) we haven't experienced the drunken, kid-crazy cruises that some people talk about. On Carnival last year (which was a 12 day Europe cruise) we had a great time and found the passengers to be "normal" law-abiding citizens just like us?!? On a recent 7 day RCCL cruise, we witnessed a fight break out in the main pool. NOT kids, or drunken college kids, but ADULTS who of course were probably overserved and should definitely have known better than to behave like that.

All that to say - it can and does happen on every cruiseline from time to time, but other passengers behavior has yet to ruin any cruise for us. Just like seeing someone in shorts enjoying their vacation, in the MDR on elegant night has ZERO affect on my cruise experience!!!

• Like 2

Great post and I have to agree.  We are yearly - or every other year cruiser (Live in Canada so its a bigger commitment!) I have cruised both lines and really do not have loyalty to either.  I do not cruise enough for "status" to ever become a deciding factor.  For me and my family it is more dates (we often cannot be flexible), and ports.

We find the crowds to be very similar - around the pool bar it is louder and more of a party atmosphere - in other areas not at all.  We have never seen any type of fights  - - however this past New Years on the Celebration we thought there might be a riot!!!  I do not know how Carnival didn't realize that the National Football Semi-Finals would be a highly demanded viewing option on the ship, but somehow they missed it.  So when a crowd of about 100 angry football fans had no game showing in the sports lounge it got ugly!  Carnival was quick to make some phone calls and make it happen!  We were cheering for Michigan - but it was the rowdy Georgia fans (who weren't even playing in the first game but knew it meant theirs wouldn't be showing either!) who made it happen. Guest services is right beside the sports bar on the Celebration, so there were some pretty high-ups that were on the scene!  It was fun (and never felt unsafe) to watch US college football fans get what they wanted! 

I am back on RCL this summer, and it is the first time I have cruised this close together.  I am eager to try a new ship for us the Wonder.

• Like 1

I've got a expensive 14 day carnival journey cruise booked next January. I did 3 on carnival since restart. Prefer rcl but rcl doesnt do aruba and curacao out of texas. I also am doing costa rica, panama and Columbia.. 

Aruba and curacao and costa rica will be new. I know everyone thinks badly of carnival but I wanted to see the new ports ... though now I probably will move to florida and have better port options, from texas i dont. 

Rcl dinners are better, but i like carnival lunch better. Guys hamburger and fries thanks. Rcl free burgers arent as good or their pizza. 

• Like 2

We cruised 3 times with Carnival (brand new Liberty, Miracle, Glory)  as we were cruising with 8 lines till last years.

Carnival was the only line we dropped completely. We did not see more drunks or parties than on other lines, it was not a problem. The ambiance wasn't there... too many tattoos , golden chains... We sailed on similar lines (pricewise ... NCL, MSC even RCI), and of course you meet some riff raffs  everywhere (including HAL, Princess and Celebrity... do not remember on Cunard). But it is about overall numbers ... and activities, entertainment geared to them.

Latest ships - Mardi Gras, Celebration etc look interesting, but I do not feel an urge to book.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

One other note - well maybe a few more......

No Starlink internet on Carnival Magic as of 4/2/2023.  I looked for the Starlink receivers on all the top decks or open promenades and I didn't see any.  We did not buy an internet package and my iPhone got 1 bar signal strength in our cabin and NO signal on the balcony.  My iPad did better.  I had a strong signal in the public areas. 

My daughter and Son-in-law were on the cruise and did buy the internet package.  I thought I would be able to chat with them after buying the chat service ($5.00 for the entire cruise) but they had to buy it too.

Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ venue was only open on sea days and the line would begin to form about 45 min before it opened.  I walked up with no line about 1:45 pm.  I think it was open Noon - 3:00pm.  We dine after 7:00pm so a later lunch suits our lifestyle.  The food was good!

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl dinners are better, but i like carnival lunch better. Guys hamburger and fries thanks. Rcl free burgers arent as good or their pizza. 

That is the one thing that puts Carnival way down my list. Guys hamburgers are probably the best no-fee food on their ships. Granted, the way Royal seems to be headed food quality wise (just from what I see on the boards, my 4 RCI last year the food was still decent) it may not matter in another year. If I ever stumble on a CCL itinerary that is just too good to pass up I will just go into it with the expectation of a more utilitarian cruise vs some elegance. And hope they finally stock a decent cabernet (Ok I guess this is the other thing that put Carnival way down my list, but apparently they have a decent IPA selection now, so I could probably handle it)

I have cruised carnival many times and find the food better and so many more options on carnival but the crowd is definitely different. On carnival I see things you only see in the middle of the night at Walmart. More of a party and more fun on carnival. They know how to party for sure but my oh my the people are surly different 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

That is the one thing that puts Carnival way down my list. Guys hamburgers are probably the best no-fee food on their ships. Granted, the way Royal seems to be headed food quality wise (just from what I see on the boards, my 4 RCI last year the food was still decent) it may not matter in another year. If I ever stumble on a CCL itinerary that is just too good to pass up I will just go into it with the expectation of a more utilitarian cruise vs some elegance. And hope they finally stock a decent cabernet (Ok I guess this is the other thing that put Carnival way down my list, but apparently they have a decent IPA selection now, so I could probably handle it)

Shaqs big chicken sounds good. I may do mardi gras eventually. Jubilee is coming to texas but I'm leaving texas, but several pay venues are free on the newest ships, guys pig and anchor, Italian and some mexican/asian name, chi bang I think it's called. I loved JiJis on vista, not free, $18 but so good. 

I like their steak place has surf and turf, rcl used to have but rcl charges a upcharge for lobster. I did upcharge on vista 6 of 7 nights. 

5 hours ago, rcrabb1513 said:

At Port Canaveral we encountered a drug detection area for the first time.  After all the document check in activities the line to the ship included an area where groups of passengers were placed in a line against a wall and all luggage and backpacks were to be placed at your feet.  An officer had a drug sniffing dog check each carry on piece of luggage.  Not sure if the dog could detect any contraband on your person as none was detected in our "lineup."

This alone would make me never want to sail carnival - I don't even use illicit substances but the idea of being lined up like that is ridiculous and insulting to me

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rcrabb1513 said:

I don't use illegal drugs but having to line up against a wall and have my luggage sniffed is gross. Is this is standard practice on now on Carnival? 

Edited by Charles4515

11 minutes ago, George C said:

What perks do you get with a ocean suite ? If any.

The last time we sailed in an Ocean Suite on Carnival, I believe we got bottled water, but very little else. It is more like a JS than a full suite in amenities, but more like a GS than JS in size and layout.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

What perks do you get with a ocean suite ? If any.

Really depends on the ship. Privacy. The new ships have a private area with cabanas.  Over attentive bar tenders those who drink love. Bubbles which is soft drinks.  Priority boarding and disembark and even on shuttles. A few times when tenders backed up or broke on rcl I wished for carnival priority I get. Not much but the private area some absolutely love. 

Vista class started the private area and mardi gras and its 2 sisters takes it up a notch. 

• Like 1

For us, it is not about whose food is better or drunken sailors. we are seniors and we just seem to think most of Carnival's activities are geared toward a younger crowd, whether they are there or not. Singing and dancing waiters are fine but maybe I am showing my age, I sort of like it a bit more refined if anyone knows what I mean. Yes, cruisers are there to have fun, but CCL just seems to throw more things in 5th gear, toward a younger crowd-type atmosphere. 

Cheers

Len

• Like 2

17 hours ago, acuprulez said:

This alone would make me never want to sail carnival - I don't even use illicit substances but the idea of being lined up like that is ridiculous and insulting to me

I really didn't care.  I had read social media posts, taken with a grain of salt, that the smell of pot was pervasive in some areas of the ship.  If this stops or even deters it so be it.  

53 minutes ago, rcrabb1513 said:

I really didn't care.  I had read social media posts, taken with a grain of salt, that the smell of pot was pervasive in some areas of the ship.  If this stops or even deters it so be it.  

If that is true that the smell of pot is pervasive then I don't want to cruise on Carnival. Of course I don't know if that is an exageration but if they are lining up passenger to be sniffed that would be red flag that there is soe truth to it.

1 hour ago, rcrabb1513 said:

29 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

If that is true that the smell of pot is pervasive then I don't want to cruise on Carnival. Of course I don't know if that is an exageration but if they are lining up passenger to be sniffed that would be red flag that there is soe truth to it.

It isn't just a Carnival problem, we have had three cruises in the last year on RCL ruined by pot smokers on the balconies adjacent to ours.

• Like 2

Just a comment about drug-sniffing dogs on Royal.  A few years ago we had a cute beagle dog sniff each of us while we stood in single file waiting to "ping" ourselves onboard the first day.  Never before or since.  We are diamond plus so have a few cruises under our belt.  Maybe they had a tip??

19 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

For us, it is not about whose food is better or drunken sailors. we are seniors and we just seem to think most of Carnival's activities are geared toward a younger crowd, whether they are there or not. Singing and dancing waiters are fine but maybe I am showing my age, I sort of like it a bit more refined if anyone knows what I mean. Yes, cruisers are there to have fun, but CCL just seems to throw more things in 5th gear, toward a younger crowd-type atmosphere. 

Cheers

Len

2 nights ago my waiters and the floor mgr here on radiance sang and a few sang along. What's the difference between rcl singing or dancing waiters or carnival doing it. 

Trivia is trivia to me. 

30 minutes ago, margeecruiser said:

Just a comment about drug-sniffing dogs on Royal.  A few years ago we had a cute beagle dog sniff each of us while we stood in single file waiting to "ping" ourselves onboard the first day.  Never before or since.  We are diamond plus so have a few cruises under our belt.  Maybe they had a tip??

I believe those are usually USDA/CBP detection dogs for foods - think fruit/veggies/seeds that sort of thing and are more concerned about agricultural/environmental issues, not drugs.

They usually catch somebody with a bananna or something.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 5:53 PM, joeyancho said:

The drug sniffing thing totally baffles me. It must be Carnival checking for drugs coming on board. I don't think the DEA or ICE cares about drugs leaving the country.  Weird.  

To my knowledge, the port authority has control over the dogs, not any one ship.  They check for drugs as well as food items that may have insects that could cause damage.  We usually see them AFTER the cruise though.  It IS odd to see them before. 

On 4/5/2023 at 10:28 AM, rcrabb1513 said:

There have been several reports here on CC that the weed smell was not present on recent cruises (with the use of drug sniffing dogs prior to embarkation).