New CEO of Celebrity Interesting but happy they stay within for promotions.

bikerunner

37 minutes ago, kguerriero said:

I believe you're coming from a place of good intention here, but a little curious like others on here about your concern of making sure 'skill and education' come first...

Progress and equality can be pretty cool when it's a net benefit for society and people's lives. If it's a deal-breaker, I'm sure the other lines are more than happy to have you on board.

all I did was make my initial slightly flipping comment just like so many others do on these threads.

So many are nasty and mine was not.

I am done chatting on this topic.   I am glad the lady is moving on from being CEO.  IMHO, if she had it her way it would be 100% women.  again, just an opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'm not really sure that anyone can correct history.  You need to accept it for what is was, the good and the bad , and then move forward with the lessons you have learned.  Everyone should have the ability to participate equally in the future.  Mentors and advocates can certainly help but the playing field still needs to be level.

Bingo!

I want the person in the Captain's seat to be the best qualified and experienced. Period.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kguerriero said:

According to Celebrity, 32% of their bridge officers are women, so still less than half. Do you think the male bridge officers are that concerned for fit and professional growth, when they still make up 2/3rds of all positions?

I don't think men or women care about overall percentages.  Professional growth and advancement is an individual issue and if either men or women don't have an equal chance, then either will feel cheated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I don't think men or women care about overall percentages.  Professional growth and advancement is an individual issue and if either men or women don't have an equal chance, then either will feel cheated.

and this is closest to what I was getting at.   

• Like 2

Officer gender aside, their real threat is automation as there are already several autonomous ships being trialed.  At the moment the real threat are the higher salaried jobs.  Lower paid manual laborers are safe from expensive robots at the moment...Also, this is a pretty fascinating story although you'll get the gist by just reading the title:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/513171ed-2187-3d3c-b457-1758cf6ee5fc/these-workers-claim-they.html

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

38 minutes ago, jules27556 said:

Bingo!

I want the person in the Captain's seat to be the best qualified and experienced. Period.   

Captain James Tiberius Kirk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jules27556 said:

Bingo!

Who do you want piloting a plane on the way to your cruise? As long as they are honestly qualified, its fne with me regardless of any criteria.

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

all I did was make my initial slightly flipping comment just like so many others do on these threads.

So many are nasty and mine was not.

I am done chatting on this topic.   I am glad the lady is moving on from being CEO.  IMHO, if she had it her way it would be 100% women.  again, just an opinion.

to be blunt, I thought about placing a ships captain into the role of CEO. Why?

They manage everything aboard the ship from personel to safetly to keeping the paying customers wanting  to stay paying customers.

Bring that hands on expertise to the front office and I think you have a real winning situation. Big PIcture.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mickey S said:

Who do you want piloting a plane on the way to your cruise? As long as they are honestly qualified, its fne with me regardless of any criteria.

The cause of most aircraft crashes is pilot error.  I'll take the best pilot.  

Thanks

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

The cause of most aircraft crashes is pilot error.  I'll take the best pilot.  

Thanks

if your requirement  is the best pilot you will never fly anywhere as the single best pilot only flies so many hours a week. . However, you, I assume know what I was saying.

34 minutes ago, Mickey S said:

As a retired United flight attendant, I appreciate experienced left and right seat, preferably former military.....never paid attention to anything else.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mickey S said:

to be blunt, I thought about placing a ships captain into the role of CEO. Why?

They manage everything aboard the ship from personel to safetly to keeping the paying customers wanting  to stay paying customers.

Bring that hands on expertise to the front office and I think you have a real winning situation. Big PIcture.

interesting concept.  It is like in USA a lot of Governors are qualified to be President as it is the same structure.   I know for new ship builds, often captains are involved at the shipyard to over see.things.

The original captain of Oasis (first class ship) helped redesign the central park area and convinced them to remove a ramp and keep the walkways level for safety.  

13 hours ago, jules27556 said:

As a retired United flight attendant, I appreciate experienced left and right seat, preferably former military.....never paid attention to anything else.

Way back in the 70's I went on a TWA arranged trip to Portugal and Spain.  One of the guys on the trip was a former pilot in "Nam" and knew a lot of the TWA pilots and  upon leaving JFK he went to the Flight Deck to check out who was in the drivers seats --to, as he said, make sure it was not one of the party boy's who could not be trusted. 

eg, Bob Moriarity, the Marine Pilot in Nam era ( I was a co speaker with him at an event years ago)  who for fun flew a Beechcraft under the legs of Eiffle Tower.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Who is in left and right seats.  Captain always in what side?

Captain is in left seat.  1st officer in right.

(When you look into the cockpit from inside aircraft.)

Edited by jules27556

5 hours ago, jules27556 said:

and on cruise ships, the Captain almost always has his room on the right side known as starboard and then other captain (staff) has the port side.  Just interesting things to think about.

6 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

and on cruise ships, the Captain almost always has his room on the right side known as starboard and then other captain (staff) has the port side.  Just interesting things to think about.

That is interesting!

17 hours ago, jules27556 said:

Does the Captain also advertises making appearances at jewelry and watch shops  like the Captain on our last couple of cruises?  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keesar said:

Does the Captain also advertises making appearances at jewelry and watch shops  like the Captain on our last couple of cruises?  

I would go. Capt Kate is friendly and approachable. Based on the cost of the jewelry, she makes a lot more money than I do.

6 minutes ago, keesar said:

2 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I would go. Capt Kate is friendly and approachable. Based on the cost of the jewelry, she makes a lot more money than I do.

She does do the jewelry appearance, she’s probably draws a larger crowd at the store than most.  To expand on her being friendly and approachable, she’s engaging and playful, mean if you bump into her and say good morning, rather than just saying good morning back she’ll probably crack a joke and ask you where your from

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, keesar said:

No.  But "back in the day" we had a First Officer once who played the harmonica and serenaded passengers as they boarded with a medley of salutes to the branches of the military....... 🎵 upbeat and put a smile on everyone's face!🎵

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jules27556 said:

No.  But "back in the day" we had a First Officer once who played the harmonica and serenaded passengers as they boarded with a medley of salutes to the branches of the military....... 🎵 upbeat and put a smile on everyone's face!🎵

One Christmas we were on the Connie. It was about 6:30 AM and I was poking around the hall trying to find the ice machine. An officer was walking by and asked if he could help, when I said I wanted ice, he asked why I didn't call my cabin steward. I replied, "Because it was Christmas and I didn't want to disturb him"! He said he would get it. I turned out to be the Captain. 

My point? All of their Captains are great. Kate is still special though.

• Like 3

Celebrity clearly has their officers serving as brand ambassadors.  Captain Kate has taken it to another level with her use of social media, but the other captains also have a lot of personality and are out and about on the ships, too.  If you want to go on a cruise where the captain and other officers are not overly visible, there are plenty of lines that do that. 

• Like 2