Rum Punch ~ old recipe

Does anyone know the old rum punch recipe so I can give it to my bartender. The new recipe just isn't as good. I have been trying every drink on the ship, and I can't find anything I like as well. Seems that the 'new' bartenders all look at me a little strangely when I tell them that the new, improved version isn't as good.  Or, is there anything in the current menu that is a must try? I was on an 11 nt last week and tried all the daily specials. Closest I could come up with was a "Rum Runner' or a "Bahama Mamma".

After a couple drinks, it is pointless to keep trying, since my taste buds are all numb and happy by then.  First world problems.

Cheers everyone!!!

That's funny, I ordered one in July on Indy (expecting the new recipe, big fan of Kraken), and got the old one. I only knew b/c he never reached for the Kraken. I mentioned it and he said, oh, you want the new one? Well, yeah, the one on the menu. His solution was to just pour a Kraken float on top of the old one.

Anyway, sorry, can't help you, just sharing a pointless anecdote.

As for recommendations, I usually only go for rum in frozen drinks (Kraken Colada by the pool/beach).

If you're open to anything and are on a ship with a Playmakers, I enjoyed their Goalpost margarita (pineapple jalapeno) and "The Pitch" which is a bright green spin on a Long Island with midori and sprite, pictured below.ThePitch.thumb.jpg.4d568ba436014fbc348df2079e3ba16a.jpg

Edited by OCSC Mike

2 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Isn't a rum punch just punch with rum added? The issue might be a change in the punch formula. 

No, there's more involved. Look it up in the app. It's not hawaiian punch with a shot of rum.

1 hour ago, blondie from arizona said:

Does anyone know the old rum punch recipe so I can give it to my bartender. The new recipe just isn't as good. I have been trying every drink on the ship, and I can't find anything I like as well. Seems that the 'new' bartenders all look at me a little strangely when I tell them that the new, improved version isn't as good.  Or, is there anything in the current menu that is a must try? 

Have them make you a rum old fashioned and see how you like that.  

If the bar you are at makes frozen drinks, there are a few that swear by the Kracken Colada.  I like mine with a shot of Kraken as a float on top. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

No, there's more involved. Look it up in the app. It's not hawaiian punch with a shot of rum.

Oh man, Memory jolt. Back in college (early 90's), Maui brand Tropical Schnapps was pretty big in my circle. I swear it tasted just like Hawaiian Punch. Not as a mix either, just on ice.

37 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Oh man, Memory jolt. Back in college (early 90's), Maui brand Tropical Schnapps was pretty big in my circle. I swear it tasted just like Hawaiian Punch. Not as a mix either, just on ice.

Sounds like a step up from "trash can punch." 🤣

• Like 1

Last month on Voyager I asked for rum punch twice - two different days and bars - and the two drinks were made differently from each other. Maybe one was old recipe and one new? Maybe each bartender has their own recipe? Both had a bunch of ingredients in a cup, shaken with ice, then poured through a strainer into a glass. 

On 4/9/2023 at 11:21 AM, DaKahuna said:

Have them make you a rum old fashioned and see how you like that.  

I make the Royal version with sugar free coconut syrup at home now.  Love it!

Can't help OP as have never really liked Hawaiian Punch or anything trying to taste or look like it.  🍹

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

Thanks for all the assistance. I am still researching. It did allow me to try a lot of drinks! Ha ha! I will keep searching. It wasn't the one with the lime ( I think that is the Planters Punch). And the one with the coconut rum was good (I think that is what they are calling the Bahama Mamma or the Goombay Smash).  I also went into the app and looked at ALL the bars and ALL the menus. 

• 2 months later...