Zaandam ??

Banditswife

2 hours ago, trixiee said:

@RuthC  Do you have a favourite "Larger" outside cabin on the Zaandam that you would recommend?  Taking my sister for her first ever cruise, and it's on the longer side ~ 11 days...

TIA!!

I was always partial to the inside cabins on Lower Promenade, between the forward and mid-ship elevator banks. I particularly liked the starboard side, but for no particular reason (I must list to starboard). It has easy access to the outside deck, both sides. I could sit out there for hours, and dash inside to use the facilities as needed.
Friends, however, were once on port side, just forward of the mid-ship elevators when we went through extremely rough seas during the night. They listened to dishes in the Pinnacle crashing for a long time. Another reason to stick to starboard, or closer to the forward elevators on portside. 

I am also especially fond of cabin 2619 on Main Deck. It's one of the 'sideways' cabins, a bit larger than the other 'large' insides, and very comfortable. It even holds a mobility scooter! 
And it's dead center on the ship, forward to aft. 
But choosing based on distance from your favorite places, or based on what is above/below/next door is truly the way to go. Most of the large insides are identical. 

• Like 4

That sweet Ruth C. ALWAYS has great advice!   I recall reading her advice here on numerous topics here on Cruisecritic many times in years past prior to a HAL cruise!!    She is the expert on all things Holland America!

As far as the size of the ship, we had numerous cruises on Zaandam's little sister ships (Veendam, Maasdam, old Statendam, etc.) that were taken out of the fleet & sold during the shutdown.  We had a 3 week Alaskan cruise on one smaller than Zaandam & we LOVED the ease of getting around.  

If you notice my signature below, we have been on 60+ cruises on a variety of cruise lines and ships of all sizes.  We love the Royal Caribbean's Allure, one of the largest, for its fabulous entertainment & specialty restaurants.  We love the Viking Ocean & River ships, which are among the smallest.   Suffice to say, we have NOT been on a ship we didn't like!!   

Edited by Cruisin Kay D
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

That sweet Ruth C. ALWAYS has great advice!   I recall reading her advice here on numerous topics here on Cruisecritic many times in years past prior to a HAL cruise!!    She is the expert on all things Holland America!

Thank you so very much for the honorable mention. Glad I could be of help so often. 

• Like 5

Hello group,

I have a toddler question for the Zaandam.

My grandson is 2 years old 

I know that there is no kids program ( for any age group ) on this ship.

But I see a kid zone on the deck plan.

Is that correct ? 

Anybody know if this door is unlocked and available ? If we need to request access ?

Any suggestions / ideas on this and other toddler tales is appreciated.

We sail in may 27th

3 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

Hello group,

I have a toddler question for the Zaandam.

My grandson is 2 years old 

I know that there is no kids program ( for any age group ) on this ship.

But I see a kid zone on the deck plan.

Is that correct ? 

Anybody know if this door is unlocked and available ? If we need to request access ?

Any suggestions / ideas on this and other toddler tales is appreciated.

We sail in may 27th

Haven’t been in there myself, but see these pics from 2022 that seems to show a Club HAL (their name for the kids clubs)

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/shiptour.php?r=5176

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We just sailed Oosterdam on 12 day Med.   It was a nice cruise but I thought the ship was a bit tired.   My wife says next time "I want a newer ship".   Not sure if newer ships have less carpeting but thought the carpets were a bit worn and dated for one.

On the Med Cruise I signed up for a 2025 cruise on Zaandam, another older ship.  this cruise is to the Amazon for 27 days, same as the original post.   I did not worry about booking as can easily be cancelled.  We booked a Vista Suite on Deck 6.

Now my question comes with "Refurbishing" and what that means, how can I find out what will or has been improved.   

Supposedly to be or has been updated.  Any insight to what that means?   Where can I find out more details?   Any thoughts other thoughts on the ship?   

4 hours ago, DAF7065 said:

We just sailed Oosterdam on 12 day Med.   It was a nice cruise but I thought the ship was a bit tired.   My wife says next time "I want a newer ship".   Not sure if newer ships have less carpeting but thought the carpets were a bit worn and dated for one.

On the Med Cruise I signed up for a 2025 cruise on Zaandam, another older ship.  this cruise is to the Amazon for 27 days, same as the original post.   I did not worry about booking as can easily be cancelled.  We booked a Vista Suite on Deck 6.

Now my question comes with "Refurbishing" and what that means, how can I find out what will or has been improved.   

Supposedly to be or has been updated.  Any insight to what that means?   Where can I find out more details?   Any thoughts other thoughts on the ship?   

Best to never choose HAL for "trendy decor".  The newer HAL ships are so bland to be lifeless, but others like them because they are "clean, modern and far more minimalist". To each their own.

When I see "out-dated decor" on HAL ships I personally thank HAL for keeping cruise prices down and caring more about where they are going; not whether there is dated pink tile in the bathrooms. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

Zaandam is fine. A bit old but still in good condition.

I agree. We were on the Zaandam last week had a great cruise and really enjoyed the ship.

That being said - when I read the statement "My wife says next time "I want a newer ship" " I really don't think of the Zaandam. It's hard to imagine it feeling "newer" , although I have not been on the Oosterdam yet.

Just now, FlorenceItaly said:

A bit off topic but were they offering 50percent off Happy Hours?  Thank you.

I don't think "happy hours" are ever off topic 🍹

Indeed they were - 4-5 in both Ocean and Crow's Nest and then 9-10 or 10-11 ? in Crows nest.

In the Crow's nest at 4:00 it coincided with trivia - making it the most well-attended trivia I have ever witnessed. 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I don't think "happy hours" are ever off topic 🍹

Indeed they were - 4-5 in both Ocean and Crow's Nest and then 9-10 or 10-11 ? in Crows nest.

In the Crow's nest at 4:00 it coincided with trivia - making it the most well-attended trivia I have ever witnessed. 😃

Yep, this is why we chose ocean bar with the piano. It was a great pre dinner option for us.

2 very different options that most can find their preference 

• Like 2

We just disembarked the Zaandam June 3 in Montreal.  The ship seemed in great shape, nothing worn out" really noticeable, but then I wasn't really looking.  I enjoyed the art throughout!

One note, we were in an outside but no veranda on the second deck. Window only.   #2659.  New, albeit smallish, tv above the desk.  Lots of storage space.  Not a lot of room to move about but we were comfortable, as were the beds. 

Some notes that may be helpful for someone considering this, or a nearby, stateroom:

The bathtub is high and short.  At 5'1", I could not stretch out to relax!  And stepping in and out was tricky since the side is higher than ours at home.  Someone with issues of raising a leg, be forewarned. 

Secondly, we were glad I thought to bring an extension cord. 

Finally, we chose to sit in the deck chairs on the promenade deck one afternoon.  No cushions!  Turns out, they were stored, but available to passengers who walked to the aft to get one.  Had not read about this on CC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, beach spring said:

We just disembarked the Zaandam June 3 in Montreal.  The ship seemed in great shape, nothing worn out" really noticeable, but then I wasn't really looking.  I enjoyed the art throughout!

One note, we were in an outside but no veranda on the second deck. Window only.   #2659.  New, albeit smallish, tv above the desk.  Lots of storage space.  Not a lot of room to move about but we were comfortable, as were the beds. 

Some notes that may be helpful for someone considering this, or a nearby, stateroom:

The bathtub is high and short.  At 5'1", I could not stretch out to relax!  And stepping in and out was tricky since the side is higher than ours at home.  Someone with issues of raising a leg, be forewarned. 

Secondly, we were glad I thought to bring an extension cord. 

Finally, we chose to sit in the deck chairs on the promenade deck one afternoon.  No cushions!  Turns out, they were stored, but available to passengers who walked to the aft to get one.  Had not read about this on CC. 

Great tip about the cushions.  Thank you.  What type of evening entertainment was there?  

19 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Great tip about the cushions.  Thank you.  What type of evening entertainment was there?  

We were on the follow up cruise, and the cushions were out for our cruise (the week before was cooler than our week).

For our week (last week) there was a Comedian (main stage), a solo pianist performer, a piano/vocal performer, guitar/vocal performer and a small rock back rotating in the lounges , one BBC Earth show (stage), dance show(s?) (stage) and some trivia and games type shows (with passengers and/or crew) in the lounges. More than I expected for a small ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Florence,

We only went to the theater four nights, twice for the comedian, Burghart, who was really funny and KNEW his audience/demographics.  The other times were for the dancers who were almost mesmerizing with the choreography synced with the bright graphics and music.  Couldn't tell you about any of the other.  Actually, I should point out that the second night for the comedian was just the last 20 minutes or so because we stayed out on deck to watch as the ship passed under the Confederation Bridge from PEI, maybe (don't have my notes handy.  Many others came into the theater after that event.  Poor planning/timing on HAL's part.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, beach spring said:

Florence,

We only went to the theater four nights, twice for the comedian, Burghart, who was really funny and KNEW his audience/demographics.  The other times were for the dancers who were almost mesmerizing with the choreography synced with the bright graphics and music.  Couldn't tell you about any of the other.  Actually, I should point out that the second night for the comedian was just the last 20 minutes or so because we stayed out on deck to watch as the ship passed under the Confederation Bridge from PEI, maybe (don't have my notes handy.  Many others came into the theater after that event.  Poor planning/timing on HAL's part.  

We really enjoy live music but I realize it is going to be at a minimum on this ship.  I thought the small ships at least had a piano bar.   We cruised for 51 days on the Amsterdam in late 2019 and spent most of our time at the piano bar.  In fact, we are still in touch and have met up with the gentleman that was the piano player.  We enjoyed the itinerary very much but said we would not repeat a cruise on a smaller ship, but here we go, LOL.  We are on the Zaandam for the 28 day Amazon Explorer in Feb. of next year.  Thank you so much for the feedback.

Edited by FlorenceItaly

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

We really enjoy live music but I realize it is going to be at a minimum on this ship.  I thought the small ships at least had a piano bar.   We cruised for 51 days on the Amsterdam in late 2019 and spent most of our time at the piano bar.  In fact, we are still in touch and have met up with the gentleman that was the piano player.  We enjoyed the itinerary very much but said we would not repeat a cruise on a smaller ship, but here we go, LOL.  We are on the Zaandam for the 28 day Amazon Explorer in Feb. of next year.  Thank you so much for the feedback.

There was a pianist on our Zaandam cruise last week as well as a piano/singing (like on person of Billboard), a guitar player/singer and a small band (mostly rock) for live music on that cruise rotating through longes in the evenings. 

• Thanks 1

I too was on the Zaandam last week and I enjoyed the music quite a bit Ian played the piano in Mix every night except one,  heard the band at the orange party, the guitarist was good but she was playing the same sets over and over.  Mandy and the entertainment team though, they were rocking.  Loved all the trivia's at 10/4/8. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all recent Zaandam cruisers for the updated opinions/info.  We ended up booking the Zaandam for the holiday cruise this year-Dec 19 thru Jan 4.  I am looking forward to spending Christmas & New Year aboard a smaller more intimate ship.  It should be fun.  I am sure they decorate for the holidays & might hopefully have special menus & entertainment.  We've never sailed over a holiday previously, excited.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

Thanks to all recent Zaandam cruisers for the updated opinions/info.  We ended up booking the Zaandam for the holiday cruise this year-Dec 19 thru Jan 4.  I am looking forward to spending Christmas & New Year aboard a smaller more intimate ship.  It should be fun.  I am sure they decorate for the holidays & might hopefully have special menus & entertainment.  We've never sailed over a holiday previously, excited.

Sounds like you will have a blast.  As a first time cruiser, not knowing exactly what to expect I appreciated the smaller ship because it was fairly easy to navigate around.  My parents, as seasoned cruisers appreciated it as our staterooms being midships made it easier to get anywhere without too far a walk due to mobility impairments. I really loved my time on the Zaandam and so happy it wasn't something crazy like Symphony of the Seas, where I feel I would be run ragged trying to do anything. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off the Zaandam.   Food was very good (MDM, Pinnacle, and Canneletto.  Didn’t eat in the Lido). service was super friendly if not always fast.  Getting on and off was a breeze.  Only tender port was Bar Harbor which was a cluster due to fog.

They were working on Starlink during the cruise.  Roped off a section near the pool multiple days.  I did not hear when it will be available.  Wifi was tolerable for checking emails and browsing the news but Starlink should be a welcome addition.