HMC Villas are listed as $999.99 now?!?!

missholly24

7 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

INow, for other optional items, like beach umbrellas, floating mats, then, yes, maximizing revenue could lead to decreased customer satisfaction, which, in the long run, less revenue. Happy customers tend to spend more.  Annoyed customers spend less.

Supply and demand pricing makes a lot more money than internet opinions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jcearth said:

I have gotten villas 4 or 5 times in the past.  They were a great investment at $499 split a few ways, and still pretty good at $599. I balked at $649 but still went ahead and rented (had others pitch in, so still thought value was ok). $999 would be a deal breaker for me, however.  

Here is my question - how do you define maximizing revenue?  Even if the company still sold all of the Villas and Cabanas and the new rate, how many customers are alienated by the inflated pricing?  What value does Carnival place on repeat business? What value do they place on the customer experience?  

I would argue that raising prices on optional items could do way more harm than good, by leading to a reduction in repeat business.  I, for one, would take my vacation dollars elsewhere if I didn't feel that I was getting enough value for my money. Just my opinion.

If the cabanas are still selling out at $999. How are the losing money.  Carnival is tasked with making money for their share holders.  That’s what the free market is all about.  How many cruise corporations are based in a non free market economy.  I would never pay for a cabana at the original price years ago but I happy for those people that bought them years ago.  Now that the price has escalated, the people that purchased the before have reached the conclusion that the new price is too high.  That’s were I was at the the beginning but I did not begrudge anyone that purchased the cabana then, and the people that complain now should not be upset that the price is too high now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the private oasis at $2,000 is sold out, so people don't seem to mind paying the price.

With the private oasis villa, its larger and can accommodate more people so the price is split between groups/families etc.  The villa was always the one that seem to make more sense for a larger group of people even at the price point.  

We have had the HMC villa/cabanas several times over the years but not since restart.  At this point with 2 cruises later this year, dont see us spending that kind money for a few hours on a beach (and still need to use the public restroom).  

If people are willing to pay then why wouldn't CCL do it?  We would rather spend the money to get better cabin for the 7 days onboard the ship, to each their own.    

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 1

I'm really struggling. We have been to HMC many times and always gotten a cabana, never for more than $299 (this was all pre-COVID). Going on the Legend in August and hubby has been telling me to book the cabana already but I was balking at the $499 price. Now today I looked and see not only is it now $699, but it's sold out for my cruise. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. 

• Like 3

On 4/10/2023 at 12:03 PM, jcearth said:

I have gotten villas 4 or 5 times in the past.  They were a great investment at $499 split a few ways, and still pretty good at $599. I balked at $649 but still went ahead and rented (had others pitch in, so still thought value was ok). $999 would be a deal breaker for me, however.  

Here is my question - how do you define maximizing revenue?  Even if the company still sold all of the Villas and Cabanas and the new rate, how many customers are alienated by the inflated pricing?  What value does Carnival place on repeat business? What value do they place on the customer experience?  

I would argue that raising prices on optional items could do way more harm than good, by leading to a reduction in repeat business.  I, for one, would take my vacation dollars elsewhere if I didn't feel that I was getting enough value for my money. Just my opinion.

I completely agree!! I know they didn’t used to always sell out as well. We had an empty one next to us one time. Time will tell what happens. Its just such outrageous increase it shocked me (and annoyed me.) For example it could be $649 and first come first serve. Or a lottery. (Still a crazy amt for a Villa but doable) Not everything in the world of business is about maximum profit. The cruises mostly sell out too. Does that mean they should jack those prices way up? Its faulty thinking. 

49 minutes ago, CorrieCJ said:

I'm really struggling. We have been to HMC many times and always gotten a cabana, never for more than $299 (this was all pre-COVID). Going on the Legend in August and hubby has been telling me to book the cabana already but I was balking at the $499 price. Now today I looked and see not only is it now $699, but it's sold out for my cruise. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. 

Its crazy. Im wondering if this is some crazy experiment. 😫😫 lol

I'm also a little annoyed that there was no warning. With the price increases for onboard wifi and/or Cheers program, there were months of warning to book before prices go up. This only got on my radar because I saw it on Twitter. 

Thankfully I booked a cabana for our October cruise to HMC last week when it was $499. It is now showing $699 and sold out! As for the cost - the cabanas do accommodate six people, if you can, share the cost with another couple or family. Also, before I booked our cabana, I purchased $500 in discounted Carnival gift cards through AARP saving us 10% or $50 on the total cost. It's not a ton, but every bit helps. We've never booked a cabana before and likely won't again if the prices remain at $700 for the day. But looking forward to enjoying it on this next cruise! 

Last time we booked a HMC cabana was 2018.  It was $370 I think.  We considered doing the villa, but decided $499 was too much.  

Wife sunburns really easily, and umbrellas/clamshells don't offer enough protection for a full day at the beach. She'll still burn.  Not sure we'd pay $700 either, so we'd have to think really hard about booking an itinerary with HMC. 

On 4/9/2023 at 9:08 PM, missholly24 said:

Please tell me thats a typo?

10 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

Its crazy. Im wondering if this is some crazy experiment.

Hi @missholly24🙂

$999 is certainly a HUGE price increase. And look at the last paragraph in the screen-shot below at the bottom. Groups larger than 8 there is an extra per-person surcharge. WOW....😲

20230411-130543.jpg

20230411-130115.jpg

🍹

1 hour ago, missholly24 said:

Not everything in the world of business is about maximum profit. The cruises mostly sell out too. Does that mean they should jack those prices way up?

Absolutely.  And everything in the world of business is indeed about maximum ethical/legal profit, especially if you are talking about publicly traded companies.

My guess is that the people who hold Carnival stock that has tanked since they bought it think Carnival should charge as much as they can get for cabanas and villas and cruises.

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Absolutely.  And everything in the world of business is indeed about maximum ethical/legal profit, especially if you are talking about publicly traded companies.

My guess is that the people who hold Carnival stock that has tanked since they bought it think Carnival should charge as much as they can get for cabanas and villas and cruises.

Stockholder here and no I don't think that at all. If you're going to raise prices this drastically this quick after another price increase then add value to the product. There's nothing more to these cabanas than before. And I doubt the employees doing all of the work see a dime.

Carnival can't figure out how to use the drink package at these private islands but though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruizinisthebest said:

Stockholder here and no I don't think that at all. If you're going to raise prices this drastically this quick after another price increase then add value to the product. There's nothing more to these cabanas than before. And I doubt the employees doing all of the work see a dime.

Carnival can't figure out how to use the drink package at these private islands but though. 

I am guessing you are in the minority, especially compared to pension funds and other investment groups that own tens of thousands of shares.

3 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I am guessing you are in the minority, especially compared to pension funds and other investment groups that own tens of thousands of shares.

If my pension fund owns $CCL then it explains why they can't afford to give COL adjustments to retirees...

• Haha 3