Is a passport required for Alaska with a stop in Canada?

goldengatecruisers

On 4/9/2023 at 7:46 PM, Charles4515 said:

What are the odds though of having to be off boarded at the single Canadian port on a round trip Seattle itinerary? A port that is 75 miles from Seattle? 

Very little risk in being off loaded at the port but the risk increases while being ill on the ship and it’s closer to medivac you to a Canadian hospital than a US. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Very little risk in being off loaded at the port but the risk increases while being ill on the ship and it’s closer to medivac you to a Canadian hospital than a US. 

On over 60 cruises there were only about 3 times was there a medivac at sea. That is a last resort. So realistically the odds are low. Suppose you were that ill do you think they would check for a passport? Also I think being admitted to a Canadian hospital rather than a US hospital would not be terrible. What is the risk? 

On 4/9/2023 at 10:30 PM, VibeGuy said:

certified copy raised-seal government-issued birth certificates

Many official or Certified birth certificates no longer use raised seals. Often the state seal is watermarked, and printed on watermarked paper that will show void all across it if copied. 

2 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Not a single Seattle-based sailing stops in Prince Rupert.  The OP was specific in his ask. 

Oceania Regatta has 7 night roundtrips this summer from Seattle stopping in Prince Rupert.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bcwife76 said:

Oceania Regatta has 7 night roundtrips this summer from Seattle stopping in Prince Rupert.

That's nice but this is the Princess board so we are logicaly assuming that the since OP posted their question on the Princess board that they were asking about a Princess itinerary from Seattle.

If they were on Oceania they would have to have a passport with six months left as Oceania requires passports on all their sailings regardless of the itinerary. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

Here is what we experienced on the Majestic, Alaska itinerary 2021.  A lady had to be sent to a Canadian hospital...I don't know any further details.  It does happen!

Canada Medivac.png

• Like 3

I personally think it would be VERY cumbersome to have to keep up with a "real" birth certificate.  I'm just thankful that we both have passports as well as Global Entry!  Anything I can do to make travel as seamless as possible just seems to be the right way *for us*.  Everybody has their own opinion!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Here is what we experienced on the Majestic, Alaska itinerary 2021.  A lady had to be sent to a Canadian hospital...I don't know any further details.  It does happen!

Canada Medivac.png

In certain parts of Alaska it is easier and quicker to get to a hospital in Canada. 

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

On over 60 cruises there were only about 3 times was there a medivac at sea. That is a last resort. So realistically the odds are low. Suppose you were that ill do you think they would check for a passport? Also I think being admitted to a Canadian hospital rather than a US hospital would not be terrible. What is the risk? 

The problem would come when it is time to return to the US after being discharged from the hospital in Canada. It’s not possible to fly back to the US without a passport. Options could be pretty limited 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

The problem would come when it is time to return to the US after being discharged from the hospital in Canada. It’s not possible to fly back to the US without a passport. Options could be pretty limited 

They would need a temporary or emergency passport to fly back.  It is not an ideal situation but it not as bad a situation as some make it sound. They will able to get one and return to the US. Of course it would be much better to have a passport and not have to go through the extra step of getting a waiver. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

They would need a temporary or emergency passport to fly back. A lot of people have been in that situation. It is not an ideal situation but it not as bad a situation as some make it sound. They will able to get one and return to the US. Of course it would be much better to have a passport and not have to go through the extra step of getting a waiver. 

Pray tell how would one get an emergency passport if discharged from an hospital in a location where there is no US consulate? You could be many hundreds of miles away from a location with a US consulate.

15 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Pray tell how would one get an emergency passport if discharged from an hospital in a location where there is no US consulate? You could be many hundreds of miles away from a location with a US consulate.

Despite your pessimism it has been accomplished. Thousands of Americans have taken closed loop cruises using birth certificates, a small percentage have had medical emergencies, and they got home. Do you think they are still in Canada or whatever? LOL. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 7:14 PM, goldengatecruisers said:

Is a passport required for an Alaska cruise with a stop in Canada?  I am asking for a friend.  No, seriously, I am asking for a friend 🙂

I thought you would need one but my friend has been told that it is not a requirement.  I thought I would put the question to the Cruise Critic community.  I have tried doing online searches and it appears you do need one.  However, my friend has been told from several sources that he does not and I am just trying to help until such times as he can reach his TA.  The cruise is a Seattle roundtrip Alaska itinerary.

Thank you.

I would not travel anywhere out of the US without a US passport even if one is nor required. 

Is their a reason why your friend would not want a US passport?

Tom🤔

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They would need a temporary or emergency passport to fly back.  It is not an ideal situation but it not as bad a situation as some make it sound. They will able to get one and return to the US. Of course it would be much better to have a passport and not have to go through the extra step of getting a waiver. 

It’s not a fun process and even less so if you are ill and just being discharged from the hospital, but yes, it can be done. It’s a calculated risk any time someone chooses to travel without a passport.

I feel like the more likely scenario is needing to get home in case of an emergency with a family member. I’m always surprised that it’s such a rarely mentioned concern.

17 hours ago, Torfamm said:

There are still other forms of transportation to get back to the US where is possible without a passport, though.  We’ve gone to Victoria and to Vancouver many times without a passport by ferry and by car, even by train it is possible.  Prince Rupert may be more difficult to navigate but it still is possible.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Despite your pessimism it has been accomplished. Thousands of Americans have taken closed loop cruises using birth certificates, a small percentage have had medical emergencies, and they got home. Do you think they are still in Canada or whatever? LOL. 

Actually there are a number of people from the USA living without documentation in Canada to the consternation of the Canadian authorities.

5 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Why? Do you want to get tips from them on how to emulate their behaviour?

My Canadian relatives claim that because my mother was born in Canada that I am Canadian. I think they are are messing with me. 😄

Edited by Charles4515

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

My Canadian relatives claim that because my mother was born in Canada that I am Canadian. I think they are are messing with me. 😄

You may very well be eligible to claim Canadian citizenship... especially true if you can readily identify the difference(s) between real maple syrup and imposters (ie.  Aunt Jemima and anything from New England).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/already-citizen.html

• Haha 1