Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

59 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

On the b2b on the infinity last month we went to muster on the way to lunch with the cards we were given when we left the first time.  Didn’t register.   We also had to get new cards.   We had to then go to the muster station again. 

It only got worse.  This afternoon our butler tracked down Iain in the smoking area to tell him Security was trying to find us.   

Security guy then said want you to know your on security body camera.  We don’t show you on board the ship and need identification to verify your identity.   

I was just back from lunch and dead tired so had slipped in bed au natural.   Iain came in and said security was at the door to arrest me (dry sense of humor).   I grabbed some clothes and he did the body cam warning.   

Iain grabbed the passport and he held them up one by one and asked our birthdate.  

He was nice and kept apologizing.  

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It only got worse.  This afternoon our butler tracked down Iain in the smoking area to tell him Security was trying to find us.   

Security guy then said want you to know your on security body camera.  We don’t show you on board the ship and need identification to verify your identity.   

I was just back from lunch and dead tired so had slipped in bed au natural.   Iain came in and said security was at the door to arrest me (dry sense of humor).   I grabbed some clothes and he did the body cam warning.   

Iain grabbed the passport and he held them up one by one and asked our birthdate.  

He was nice and kept apologizing.  

You seem to be a good sport about this, but they had a week or more and many other times this morning this could have been addressed without the intrusion in your day   

The Traveling Gamblers that were on for 4 weeks reported they had the same issue.  I find it astonishing that Celebrity can't figure out how to make this a seamless experience and not include security or any encounter that is inconvenient.  

On 4/21/2023 at 12:05 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Fantastic.   What city are you from?  

Apex is an amazing staff and one of the friendliness staff you will find.    

Mountain View and Sunnyvale.  It's nice to hear that about the staff.  We've never sailed in a concierge-type cabin before so I appreciate all the tips and reviews. 

Wow... didn't realize you were a Tennessee Volunteer.  I'm from Memphis and Nashville... went to UT Knoxville.  Have been following both yours and Lain's adventures for the past couple of years and learned a lot about Celebrity.  Have a great time!

Just curious is there anyway to know approximately how many passengers will be on the Apex on May 7th?  I am seeing hundreds of open cabins on the website currently.  

We were on the Edge last year with low numbers and it was nice that we could get a seat almost anywhere and wondering if we can expect the same.  We are booked in Retreat so I know we shouldn't have to worry about dining.  Our Equinox cruise in January was very difficult with 3 couples for dining, seats in the various venues.

11 hours ago, miched said:

You guys are having too much fun.   It is great to enjoy life.  Life is great.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We are.      It is always fun on turn around day.   They dynamics and demographics are always different cruise.    Last cruise had lots of families with small kids probably 50% under 50.     TransAtlantic -   maybe 25% under 50.   For some reason TA's attract Gay's and many 65+ in age.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, juanrod said:

Have fun on the next leg of your travels @Jim_Iain

Thanks -- I'm Listening to CBS5 in San Francisco -  Looks like the coast is having FANTASTIC weather.    So much for Spring I think we are just going from Winter to Summer.    The fog started rolling in through the Golden Gate.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

Mountain View and Sunnyvale.  It's nice to hear that about the staff.  We've never sailed in a concierge-type cabin before so I appreciate all the tips and reviews. 

Incredible -  we live around Mary and Central and I walk to Starbucks on Castro Street every day unless I go to the one on Grant for change of scenery.    I absolutely love the Steven's Creek Trail.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rocky4 said:

Wow... didn't realize you were a Tennessee Volunteer.  I'm from Memphis and Nashville... went to UT Knoxville.  Have been following both yours and Lain's adventures for the past couple of years and learned a lot about Celebrity.  Have a great time!

My first job out of College was in Memphis.   Ok showing my age.    We had a neighbor who's sister was one of Elvis's close circle and I would see him dropping over on a Motor Cycle on a regular basis. 

I tell you -  I don't miss the humidity of Memphis.

28 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Just curious is there anyway to know approximately how many passengers will be on the Apex on May 7th?  I am seeing hundreds of open cabins on the website currently.  

We were on the Edge last year with low numbers and it was nice that we could get a seat almost anywhere and wondering if we can expect the same.  We are booked in Retreat so I know we shouldn't have to worry about dining.  Our Equinox cruise in January was very difficult with 3 couples for dining, seats in the various venues.

Hmm.. I'll see what I can find out.      The crossings can also be very popular and the ship is about full capacity.    You can definitely tell.   The retreat has been packed.   

We started to go to Luminae at 1PM and there were 20 on line   Same for Dinner at 7:30.   First day and nights are always weird.    Very unusual as we are usually the last to leave in the evening and when we left it was still about 20% filled at 10PM

• Like 2

Quick update on internet -  see my separate thread for detailed reports.    Pretty stable an able to stream YouTube TV.    I did have to flip on VPN and spoof location this morning.    Really strange but the Celebrity Server we are attached to is in Bassin de Penhoet, France

image.thumb.png.2803c1c38e8af5ebd5b4bcbb5876e5b8.png

• Like 1

Thought I would grab a shot of the Cabana menu for those considering renting one.   Last cruise on last sea day they were 100% booked.  

IMG_2511.thumb.jpeg.f45b02cd8b9aef5e233f35885063bb1b.jpeg

IMG_2506.thumb.jpeg.58fe19fdccaa81b3d26945460fc7c95f.jpeg

IMG_2507.thumb.jpeg.b880c6961b039e234814756f17bce057.jpeg

IMG_2508.thumb.jpeg.580aef967dd8cb6c9f05d08240674b67.jpeg

IMG_2509.thumb.jpeg.e71ae6316078358e07ba67ecb7cb29a2.jpeg

IMG_2510.thumb.jpeg.183a95c96c04a511087e456777576d11.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Will be interesting. Eric and Dawn will be hitting Triple Zenith on this cruise.   If the ship doesn’t recognize it I’m sure the 20 Zeniths aboard will. 

Wow Triple Zenith!  I never have seen that before.  How many TZ's exist?  Must have been cruising on Celebrity since birth!

On 4/22/2023 at 7:06 AM, Jim_Iain said:

I will.  I may also have some very interesting lunch conversation.    The next cruise will have 20 Zeniths.    This will be over the threshold where they have a lunch with the Captain and executive staff.  You never know which officer will be sitting next to you.   

That is one of many of the Zenith complaints.  The lack of consistency.    Many ships have Zenith lunch’s with as few as 4.   The E-Class have a hard limit of 15 before they have one. 

They should have a Zenith lunch on every cruise with at least one Zenith on board.  Every time.

Yesterday wasn't the smoothest transition day.   Normally on a B2B our cabin is made up and prepared while on B2B process.   Got back to our room and not touched.    We did our walk before lunch and when returned around 1PM still not touched.    We went to lunch and came back at 2:30 after announcement that cabins were ready.   Bed was made up with old bedding, wastebasket full and towels on the floor.    I was not please but worn out and was hopping in bed and then the security incident.   

After nap our Butler stopped by to drop off a nice bottle of Wine from the Captain and Hotel Director -

I told him I was surprised at the inconsistency and lack of attention to details.    He asked what I meant and I showed him.   He profusely apologized and said he would take care of it. 

Before dinner he came back with a bottle of Decoy Cabernet as an apology from the Hotel Director.   Iain said he didn't drink red and he said he would replace.    We said why don't you just send to Luminae and we will have Alley swap it out or give us a credit toward the wine Iain wanted.  

We kidded him and told him a tale of a cruise last year.   We had lost 2 butlers due to Covid and one night Iain asked the new experienced butler to send a bottle of Chardonnay down to Luminae.    That night we also had a new Sommelier as our had come down with Covid who happened to be the head Sommelier.    Iain asked for his Pouilly Fuisse.    No problem sir I'll be right back.    We were seated right next to the kitchen door --- our buffer zone for Covid prevention.    We next heard him yelling on the phone.   WHERE IS HIS WINE.   SILENCE ----- I DON'T GIVE A DAM YOUR GOING TO GET OFF YOUR A$$ AND GET IT DOWN HERE IN LESS THAN A MINUTE MAY CUSTOMER IS WAITING.

Last night when we went to dinner Eli was behind us kidding saying he just wanted to make sure Ali was able to find our wine.   We all laughed. 

When we returned from dinner our room was impeccable

As other said if you have a problem bring it up immediately so they can address the issue.

• Like 5

I think I mentioned since I was in a Bit€hing mood -   I had a chat with Yusel, MD about the poultry on the previous cruise.    He thanked me and said if there were any small issue just let your waiter or me know immediately.    I told him I didn't want to make an issue of it and he said - "no do it immediately, If you are experiencing it so are all my other guests and I an talk to the chef.

Last night they had scrambled the menus and the menu was the same as we had 2 nights before -  the problem with Luminae on E-Class where you don't have the MDR menu to order the Prime Rib.   Iain had the delicious Cod dish I had 2 days previous..    I asked Iain -  do I dare try the Herb Roasted Chicken.  He said no but of course I always listen and ordered it anyway.    It was FANTASTIC -  perfectly cooked and juicy.    Yusel came over to assure it was ok and I asked him to send my thanks and compliments to the Chef.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

My first job out of College was in Memphis.   Ok showing my age.    We had a neighbor who's sister was one of Elvis's close circle and I would see him dropping over on a Motor Cycle on a regular basis. 

I tell you -  I don't miss the humidity of Memphis.

I was born in Memphis and rode past Elvis's old home in East Memphis with the music notes on the wrought iron fence.  During my career after UT, I returned to work at Schering-Plough on Jackson Ave.  We moved to Nashville after my elementary school years.  Small world... age is only a number 🙂

38 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Wow Triple Zenith!  I never have seen that before.  How many TZ's exist?  Must have been cruising on Celebrity since birth!

Very few triple Z that we know of. There is a handful of single cruisers who were maybe barely single Zenith pre-pandemic who now sail VERY frequently in top level suites getting 2X (or more) points and now have OVER 10,000 points EACH !!!

Keep in mind that even though a couple sailing in the same cabins on the same number of cruises will have paid the same amount as those singles, the singles will have at least 2X the points and will always be the top cruiser. Also remember there is only one top cruiser even if one person has 10,000 points and another has 10,010 !!!

I personally believe they should create a Zenith Plus level at 7,500 points (same delta as Elite Plus) and honor EVERY Zenith Plus onboard as top cruiser !!!

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Celebrity Server we are attached to is in Bassin de Penhoet, France

Birthplace of all E-Class ships!  If you zoom in on Google maps, Apex is still there.

Edited by jwlane
  • Like 1