Quantum - Can we have a Glacier Cruise WITHOUT the Glaciers?

26 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Please send some magic excursion dust our way. 🙂 Hoping we have something even remotely close to what you experienced.  Here’s hoping!

Sending it your way... 😉

IMG_0888.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 2:03 PM, jencruzin said:

Question. Never did an Alaska cruise - but when you visit the glaciers, are they on and on about global warming?

I would say they are not as alarmist as some may think.  Just my opinion, and I think we are all allowed one.

Out of Seward we did a daylong Fiord excursion, they blamed everything on global warming, It got a little rattle from the crowd, then they finished their sentence by saying the global warming started 10,000 years ago.

Did the 26 glacier excursion out of Whittier in 2021 and they pointed out both expanding and reducing glaciers and also referenced the end of the ice age as a global warming period.

Eddie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When sailing Endicott Arm, keep an eye out for Sumdum Glacier.  It'll be on Port when inbound and Starboard when outbound.  It's nothing spectacular but it is still a glacier, and the name is funny.  I've never heard them announce it.  

image.thumb.png.f8590682b86c2c3e69f2132e050f6412.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

I would say they are not as alarmist as some may think.  Just my opinion, and I think we are all allowed one.

Out of Seward we did a daylong Fiord excursion, they blamed everything on global warming, It got a little rattle from the crowd, then they finished their sentence by saying the global warming started 10,000 years ago.

Did the 26 glacier excursion out of Whittier in 2021 and they pointed out both expanding and reducing glaciers and also referenced the end of the ice age as a global warming period.

Eddie

Thanks for telling me this. Sounds like they're following the science as they're expected to! Unfortunately, a lot of scientists these days follow the money or the scope of "how much grant cash can I earn from this"?

8 minutes ago, jencruzin said:

Thanks for telling me this. Sounds like they're following the science as they're expected to! Unfortunately, a lot of scientists these days follow the money or the scope of "how much grant cash can I earn from this"?

Just like anything said these days, just filter it through your own belief/political/scientific system.  Unfortunately humanity needs to have a thick skin these days with how polarized everything has become.  I don't want to derail this nice thread so that's the last I'm saying on the subject.  😊

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 2:03 PM, jencruzin said:

Question. Never did an Alaska cruise - but when you visit the glaciers, are they on and on about global warming?

They’re not. But there are very factual with the information that they provide. 

We had a park ranger onboard when we visited Glacier Bay. As we sailed in and passed different markers, she would point out how long ago the glaciers reached each one of those markers, accompanied by commentary about how the flora and fauna have adapted.

It was sobering and to a certain point alarming to see with my own eyes how much the glaciers have retreated in a fairly short amount of time. 

She didn’t go on any “save the planet” speech about climate change. She didn’t have to. The facts spoke for themselves. We could all reach our own conclusions. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 5