Discontinued Cabanas?

kit125

Trying to book a cabana on an upcoming cruise on the Oosterdam.  They ran my credit card but then Ship Services said they are discontinued?  Anyone else heard same?  Or should I hang up and call again later?

We were on the Oosterdam this February for SA/Antarctica and the cabanas were not available due to damage from previous cruise. I’m guessing with one cruise after another, they have not been able to repair them yet.

49 minutes ago, bhclark said:

We were on the Oosterdam this February for SA/Antarctica and the cabanas were not available due to damage from previous cruise. I’m guessing with one cruise after another, they have not been able to repair them yet.

And some of HAL's phone reps don't get the message right. "Unavailable for the next few months" or something like that becomes "discontinued."

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:50 AM, kit125 said:

Trying to book a cabana on an upcoming cruise on the Oosterdam.  They ran my credit card but then Ship Services said they are discontinued?…

@kit125 Did Ship Services say if this was only with the Oosterdam? Thanks!

Edited by syesmar

On 4/12/2023 at 12:53 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The only cabanas I would like to see gone are the poolside ones on Eurodam. They reduce the space for tables. The ones on the high deck don't bother me at all. 

yes I agree they do not need cabanas under the deck where there is shade.

I also think table and chairs are more comfortable than those lounge chairs that everyone tries to hog.

I feel all sitting areas around the pool should be free.  

• Like 4

On 4/12/2023 at 12:01 PM, bhclark said:

This didn't change on the BA to FLL cruise around Cape Horn that ended Monday.  Cabanas were totally unused or unusable.  That's also right next to where the crew smoking deck is above the Crows Nest.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a matter of who you talk to and some needed training in customer service.....I hung up (the agent was also quite rude to me and when I asked to speak to a supervisor, just left me on hold!)  and called back.  The new agent couldn't have been more friendly and gladly booked the cabana.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

I have been on long cruises where the Cabanas up top were unused. None. Zero. Windy, isolated…

Several years ago they wouldn’t even rent them on colder cruises.  I don’t think that is the case now.  If I were to g to Alaska (it really not my thing because we have 10 months of cold weather a year) there is no way I’d rent a cabana.  I don’t want to go without one in hot weather.  Also keep in mind that if you get a cabana before you get on the ship you are forced into committing for the entire cruise whether it’s cold, hot, rainy or warm.  I know someone going on the 2024 world cruise.  They have rented a cabana for that.  It wouldn’t be cheap and I wonder how much use it will be.  It’s highly unlikely that I’ll ever do a world cruise but I don’t think I’d bother.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

Retreat cabana availabilty is a top prority for us when searching for cruises. I am a full time wheelchair user and the cabanas work great for us. We always know we have a place to sit and relax together, whether we want shade or sun. The cabana attendants always take great care of us.

The majority of excursions are not wheelchair accessible, so our "excursion money" is spent on a cabana. Do you know how difficult it can be to find an accessible bathroom in the Caribbean? We do generally take warm weather cruises, so the cabanas are useable most of the time. We did have one cruise that was very windy and rainy, making the cabana unuseable for a couple of days. But we have also had some very enjoyable memories of sitting in our cabana during a Caribbean downpour.

I guess my point is, the cabanas are great for us and we will spend the money for one every chance we get. 

• Like 5