How to prepare for a turbulent Norwegian Sea ?

SempreMare

58 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

1) If I don't have a walking stick, would the Viking room umbrella fit through the closet handles ? 

2) I am trying to visualize how you are using the room slippers to keep the coffee shelf from opening. Are you referring to the drawer beneath the shelf or the shelf itself? 

1. There weren't any handles on our closet that you could put something through.  We put the walking stick in the track that they slide on.  An umbrella might work if it was long enough.  Others said they put the slippers in between the doors to keep them from moving.

2. The coffee is in a drawer that you can pull out.  I understand some ship don't have the drawer.  We shoved the slipper in between the wall and the drawer.  I'll add a picture.  If you pull on that white trim at the front, the shelf (drawer) pulls out.

PXL_20230114_192007675.MP.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Geez, if I was that worried about getting seasick, I wouldn’t cruise!

I was wondering if someone was going to snipe that.

1 hour ago, beach bunnie said:

1. There weren't any handles on our closet that you could put something through.  We put the walking stick in the track that they slide on.  An umbrella might work if it was long enough.  Others said they put the slippers in between the doors to keep them from moving.

2. The coffee is in a drawer that you can pull out.  I understand some ship don't have the drawer.  We shoved the slipper in between the wall and the drawer.  I'll add a picture.  If you pull on that white trim at the front, the shelf (drawer) pulls out.

Aha!  All very clear now. Thanks! 

7 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

I was wondering if someone was going to snipe that.

Aha!  All very clear now. Thanks! 

Not sniping—I just wouldn’t cruise if I had to worry about getting seasick.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Not sniping—I just wouldn’t cruise if I had to worry about getting seasick.

Not sniping either. In all my retirement travels I've had fellow travelers with all sorts of medical or physical issues. My first reaction is irritation that they are slowing the group down or interfering with my enjoyment. My second reaction is to admire their pluck and enthusiasm to suffer some discomfort in pursuit of their dreams. I'm afraid that in my later years I won't have the same courage.

In the Galapagos Islands there was a traveler with chronic severe skin sensitivity AND potentially severe risk of seasickness. He dressed like a mummy and had pills, patches, bracelets and whatever other remedy available. I think he still got seasick, though he made no complaint. Nobody dies from seasickness, though some wish they would. LOL

• Like 3

12 hours ago, austinetc said:

My second reaction is to admire their pluck and enthusiasm to suffer some discomfort in pursuit of their dreams. I'm afraid that in my later years I won't have the same courage.

Completely agree!    Wow, that passenger sounds hard core strong.

That morning after the Stavanger to Bergen turbulent night, breakfast talk in the World Cafe was noticeably subdued.  Most looked a little, or a lot, worse for wear.   I heard no one speak of it till the evening.

The intensity of the seasickness feeling surprised me because
- I've sailed in a lot of sailboats / boats with friends off the Boston Harbor and Cape Cod with no problem
- I've boated with family on Lake Travis here in Austin for eons with no problem
- On my first cruise with HAL to Alaska, I was not bothered by the jostling that affected many others from my dinner table

So I thought I was immune to seasickness.    Must have been that corkscrew effect that @CurlerRob spoke about.

At one point, the ship's movement against the sea felt so intense I started to try to remember the safety drill.  I wondered if the ship was being damaged in any way. 

One reassuring thought at that moment: I knew our captain had been hardened by the Viking Sky experience.   That made him a celebrity in my book.  

I discovered this early in the cruise when we happened to walk into the World Cafe at almost the exact same time,  8 or 8:30pm - ish.  My mind flashed to something @Heidi13 said in the Viking Sky incident topic.   So I asked our Captain if he would mind a "work" question; he said sure. 

My question was, "Have you adjusted the oil levels in the diesel generators based on the Viking Sky incident report?" 

As part of his answer, I learned that he was second in command on the Viking Sky that night! (Either 2'nd or 3'rd).  I found that very reassuring.  No training can take the place of experiencing, first hand,  as an officer on the ship, a near-disaster like that.   So I decided if the ship was being damaged, we had no better person to be in command.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, SempreMare said:

I discovered this early in the cruise when we happened to walk into the World Cafe at almost the exact same time,  8 or 8:30pm - ish.  My mind flashed to something @Heidi13 said in the Viking Sky incident topic.   So I asked our Captain if he would mind a "work" question; he said sure. 

My question was, "Have you adjusted the oil levels in the diesel generators based on the Viking Sky incident report?" 

As part of his answer, I learned that he was second in command on the Viking Sky that night! (Either 2'nd or 3'rd).  I found that very reassuring.  No training can take the place of experiencing, first hand,  as an officer on the ship, a near-disaster like that.   So I decided if the ship was being damaged, we had no better person to be in command.

Well said, that is such a true statement, but sadly is contrary to what is happening these days. Academia dictates that learning on a ship isn't effective, as they can only control the learning in a classroom. However, in my experience, responding effectively to incidents, such as the Viking Sky, is best learned by experience, serving on an actual ship. 

I spent over 3 yrs as a cadet, of which only 6 months was in college. The college phases were to pass the exams, as we certainly didn't learn this job in a classroom. When I worked cruise ships, after completing the cadet program, I expected to be 3rd Officer, who is the junior watchkeeping officer for about 7 years, before being promoted to 2nd Officer and being in charge of a navigation watch. It would have been another 5 - 7 yr wait for promotion to Chief Officer and another 7 - 10 yrs for Captain.

Our son did the local Vancouver cadet program, which was a 4 yr program. After 12 months in school and 6 months seatime he was sailing as 3rd Officer on cruise ships. Upon completion of the cadet program and with only another 6 months seatime, he could be promoted to 2nd Officer. Our son was actually promoted to Senior 2nd Officer, with a few months more seatime than I had upon completing my cadet program and starting as 3rd Officer.

Fortunately, while promotion through the junior ranks is fairly rapid, I am pleased to see that Viking have only highly experienced Masters and Staff Captains. Having first sailed as Master at only 28 yrs old, on our local Ro/Pax, I can now look back and wonder how I survived those first few years. I had all the necessary training and certification, but certainly didn't have the same experience as some of the older Masters.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Viking Jupiter is currently in Aalborg, Denmark, our Plan B to Skagen Denmark, which we could not sail into because of the high winds. 

Had a fabulous excursion to a lighthouse that they predict will disappear within 20 years due to the strong  winds in Denmark in general. We took a bus, then we’re pulled by a tractor across the sand and then hiked to the lighthouse. I have sand everywhere, but had a great time.

Oslo next. 

Captain just made an announcement: 

“Be sure to Hang onto the handrails when walking around the ship as we head into Oslo tonight.”

sounds like a strong hint for rough seas ahead

going to skip dinner

IMG_2303.jpeg

IMG_2292.jpeg

FYI @loriva

that color means “30” knots?

note where Aalborg is - middle - vs 

Oslo - top - 

thats a lot of time in orange

:: sniff ::

on the good, a 16 hour fast ( now - 7 am)

begins to induce autophagy 🧐

IMG_2468.png

Edited by SempreMare

On 4/16/2023 at 5:43 PM, Heidi13 said:

Fortunately, while promotion through the junior ranks is fairly rapid, I am pleased to see that Viking have only highly experienced Masters and Staff Captains. Having first sailed as Master at only 28 yrs old, on our local Ro/Pax, I can now look back and wonder how I survived those first few years. I had all the necessary training and certification, but certainly didn't have the same experience as some of the older Masters.

@Heidi13 what is the scope of responsibilities for the master of the ship versus other officers’ roles near it in responsibility?  

2 hours ago, SempreMare said:

FYI @loriva

that color means “30” knots?

note where Aalborg is - middle - vs 

Oslo - top - 

thats a lot of time in orange

:: sniff ::

on the good, a 16 hour fast ( now - 7 am)

begins to induce autophagy 🧐

IMG_2468.png

Captain Larsen mentioned "gale-force winds" in his announcement prior to departing Aalborg.  The technical definition of that is an "8" on the Beaufort Wind Force scale or 37 kt/43 mph/68 km/h.  I guess we see why he substituted Aalborg for our scheduled Skagen.  (Which is ironic as Aalborg was the port of call on our original itinerary--Viking switched it to Skagen last August.)

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 9:54 PM, SempreMare said:

@CurlerRobOne reassuring thought at that moment: I knew our captain had been hardened by the Viking Sky experience.   That made him a celebrity in my book. 

As part of his answer, I learned that he was second in command on the Viking Sky that night! (Either 2'nd or 3'rd). 

Wonder if he was the same Sky officer who addressed us from the atrium after the ship was out of immediate peril...His message from the captain was either "Shouldn't have happened" or "S**t happens" (we're still not sure). 

Seasickness was among the many real issues during that storm. Physicians and other clinic staff came through the atrium multiple times cheerfully offering pills and injections from well-stocked trays that, weirdly, reminded us of depictions of "cigarette girls" in old movies.

Thanks to everyone for this compendium of remedies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SempreMare said:

@Heidi13 what is the scope of responsibilities for the master of the ship versus other officers’ roles near it in responsibility?  

Other officers are responsible for the management of specific areas of the ship, whereas the Master is responsible for the entire vessel. The Master and all officers must follow the company policies, as published in the safety management system, a requirement of the International Safety Management Code. However, the ISM Code in Section 5, which is titled Masters Responsibility and Authority, section 5.2 states - 

The Company should ensure that the safety management system operating on board the ship contains a clear statement emphasizing the master’s authority. The Company should establish in the safety management system that the master has the overriding authority and the responsibility to make decisions with respect to safety and pollution prevention and to request the Company’s assistance as may be necessary

This permits the Master to make any decisions that may contravene the Company SMS with respect to the safety of the vessel, crew & pax, and the prevention of pollution. This responsibility is only available to the Master. However, in an emergency, if my Chief Engineer suggested an action contrary to the SMS that was required for safety or pollution prevention, I would accept the recommendation, if reasonable and no other options were available.

The Master must have a reasonable working knowledge of all departments aboard. Back in the days when I sailed as deck cadet on pax vessels, we didn't only learn navigation and deck duties, we spent time working with all departments.

I spent many weeks in the engine room, and also spent days in the radio room, electricians, with various trades, galley, Purser's desk, bars, shore-ex, crew purser, etc. As the ultimate job of a deck cadet is eventual promotion to Master, it gave us the required insight into how other areas of the ship worked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have used the patches in the past but developed a skin allergy to them on a Sydney to Auckland cruse back in 2017. This happened while crossing the Tasman Sea from Tasmania to southern New Zealand. We had 30 to 40 foot waves two days in a row. The ship had sea bands on board and they helped a lot. I have used them ever since when there are rough seas on a few cruises. They work great for me.

• Like 1

The Tasman got me, and I typically do not have significant issues. We were Auckland to Sydney, so it wasn't long until we were on our flight home. I was surprised when I became airsick, but the flight attendants told me it is very common after crossing the Tasman for people to have motion sickness for a while. 

I need to print off these ideas.  Thanks.  As a funny story. Back in 19 we went from Tokyo to Vancouver.  Crossing the wild Bearing Sea.  4 days.   Calm as glass it was.  One never does know what you’ll see. 

2 hours ago, sunbrookgal said:

I need to print off these ideas.  Thanks.  As a funny story. Back in 19 we went from Tokyo to Vancouver.  Crossing the wild Bearing Sea.  4 days.   Calm as glass it was.  One never does know what you’ll see. 

A classic example how previous weather experiences are little indication, of weather on an upcoming cruise, as one of the ships in Alaska experienced 80 kt winds a couple of days ago. The picture I saw certainly wasn't smooth seas this year.😁

1 hour ago, Meander Ingwa said:

What brand of ginger pills are used?   I love ginger and eat and drink it regularly , pills would be most practical.  I assume there will be lemon ginger tea in the buffet and drink services on Viking

I just go to a local health store and get ginger tablets there.  Sorry, don't have the brand name -- just make sure to check ingredients.   From my experience, I don't remember seeing ginger tea onboard Viking Ocean vessels.   Mighty Leaf brand has a good ginger turmeric tea that would probably be worth bringing along.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

What brand of ginger pills are used?   I love ginger and eat and drink it regularly , pills would be most practical.  I assume there will be lemon ginger tea in the buffet and drink services on Viking

I swear by ginger. The only sailing I haven't been seasick on was an HAL sailing that still had the yum-yum man handing out candied ginger after dinner. That was also my first time using ginger pills. I just buy whatever is cheapest.

• Like 1