How to prepare for a turbulent Norwegian Sea ?

SempreMare

The Norwegian* Sea rocked and rolled us** between ports Stavanger*** and Bergen. 

Looking for advice from experienced cruisers: 

What are your tricks and tips for what to do or what meds to take: 

1) In advance of knowing you will be on rough seas
2) During the "rocking and rolling"
3) The next day if still feeling the effects

My perception is
1) In advance - Dramamine (Meclizine / Bonine) "1 hr before travel" 
2) During - Ginger pills or Zofran (Odansetron)
3) Next Day - Not sure.  Maybe same as above.

What have you done that actually helped you in the moment? 

---  More detail for context

• Between Stavanger and Bergen. extreme nausea affected me the entire night and part of the next day on solid ground while touring Bergen. To make matters worse, I was trying to pack for disembarkation a totally unpacked room for part of the night.  On the positive, attempting to walk in my room with things in my hands created a great "core" muscles exercise.  Felt like I had been doing sideways sit ups the next day.  

• Luckily, my tummy was mostly empty because I decided to skip the Chef’s Table for the World Cafe and just ate a couple bites of various dishes.   Net:  I felt extreme nausea, thankfully did not throw up, but I couldn't sleep the entire night. Next day on Bergen excursion, I had to remind myself that stable ground was beneath.  Especially in the morning, felt like I wanted to grab onto any nearby wall or pole for stability.  

• This turbulence level surprised me given we were so close to a coastline. Not in a wide open ocean.

• This was only my second ocean cruise.  I experienced no issues on Holland America in Alaska (Seward to Vancouver), or on day sailing trips in the past.

---- The asterisks

* Where:  In either the Norwegian Sea or North Sea. Not sure.

** When:  British Isles Explorer, Greenwich to Bergen, Viking Mars, probably on September 25, 2022, the night between Stavanger and Bergen.  

*** Stavanger was a substituted port for the normally planned British Isles Explorer port of Shetland Islands.   Viking canceled both Ullapool and Shetland ports due to unsafe conditions.  However, I felt no bothersome turbulence until that final sailing night between Stavanger and Bergen.

This is only my second ocean cruise, with the first being Alaska, Seward to Vancouver, on Holland America.   Hoping to hear advice from more experienced cruisers than I am.

2 hours ago, SempreMare said:

The Norwegian* Sea rocked and rolled us** between ports Stavanger*** and Bergen. 

My perception is

• Between Stavanger and Bergen. extreme nausea affected me the entire night and part of the next day on solid ground while touring Bergen. To make matters worse, I was trying to pack for disembarkation a totally unpacked room for part of the night.  On the positive, attempting to walk in my room with things in my hands created a great "core" muscles exercise.  Felt like I had been doing sideways sit ups the next day.  

• Luckily, my tummy was mostly empty because I decided to skip the Chef’s Table for the World Cafe and just ate a couple bites of various dishes.   Net:  I felt extreme nausea, thankfully did not throw up, but I couldn't sleep the entire night. Next day on Bergen excursion, I had to remind myself that stable ground was beneath.  Especially in the morning, felt like I wanted to grab onto any nearby wall or pole for stability.  

• This turbulence level surprised me given we were so close to a coastline. Not in a wide open ocean.

• This was only my second ocean cruise.  I experienced no issues on Holland America in Alaska (Seward to Vancouver), or on day sailing trips in the past.

---- The asterisks

** When:  British Isles Explorer, Greenwich to Bergen, Viking Mars, probably on September 25, 2022, the night between Stavanger and Bergen.  

*** Stavanger was a substituted port for the normally planned British Isles Explorer port of Shetland Islands.   Viking canceled both Ullapool and Shetland ports due to unsafe conditions.  However, I felt no bothersome turbulence until that final sailing night between Stavanger and Bergen.

This is only my second ocean cruise, with the first being Alaska, Seward to Vancouver, on Holland America.   Hoping to hear advice from more experienced cruisers than I am.

Dramamine and ginger is great. Also, if you drink and know the seas are going to be rocky, hold off and don’t because it doesn’t help.

Ondansetron while a great drug for general nausea and vomiting has been studied extensively with motion sickness and does very little if anything to help. Take it from a retired pharmacist. Different receptors in the brain. I knew one person on a cruise who swore it helped but I’m pretty sure it was probably just plecebo effect. 

Day after I can’t thing of anything except rest and plenty of fluids. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Omax4 said:

Dramamine and ginger is great. [...]

Ondansetron while a great drug for general nausea and vomiting has been studied extensively with motion sickness and does very little if anything to help. Take it from a retired pharmacist. Different receptors in the brain.

Wow, so cool to hear your thoughts given you are a (retired) pharmacist! 

Those 3 things I do have packed.  (though the Dramamine is 6 month expired...)

5 minutes ago, Omax4 said:

Also, if you drink and know the seas are going to be rocky, [...]

Agreed.   

Question about that - Where could I check to see if the seas are going to be rocky? 

I wish I had asked the Viking's ship officer about turbulence data that night.  Then I would know a benchmark for "this is what affects me".   When I was on HAL, several people at dinner said they were affected by that day's conditions that didn't bother me at all.

@Clay Clayton or @Peregrina651 would you know where to look for this? 

1 minute ago, SempreMare said:

Agreed.   

Question about that - Where could I check to see if the seas are going to be rocky? 

I wish I had asked the Viking's ship officer about turbulence data that night.  Then I would know a benchmark for "this is what affects me".   When I was on HAL, several people at dinner said they were affected by that day's conditions that didn't bother me at all.

I wouldn’t worry about the Dramamine being expired by 6 months. Expired meds still work for a long time after the expiration date.

Use oceanweather.com to check for ocean conditions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Everybody reacts differently to the seas and everybody reacts differently to the remedies that are  available. I think that it is a matter of trial and error until you find what works for you.

• Like 1

SempreMare, we crossed the Drake Passage Feb 21 & Mar 1.  I downloaded the app and the winds were in the green/yellow range.  I don’t recall the wind speed but it really wasn’t too bad.  I took 1 dramamine in the morning and felt fine.  We did Australia/NZ in 2020 and thought crossing the Tasman Sea was much rougher.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SempreMare said:

Agreed.   

No sorry

I'd like to hear from one of the former mariners on this topic.  I've always had the sense that it was the swell that got to me, not the wind or the waves.  It was never the rather rapid motion but rather the repetitive, constant more extreme motion.  That I know is influenced by both height and direction.  What I've always wanted to know is how to predict what that will be.  I'd prefer a beer to a Dramamine any day if the forecast is decent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SempreMare said:

A couple of thoughts. We spent a large part of our youth as offshore racing sailors - my "go to" was always the scopolamine patch, but it has been discontinued by at least one manufacturer (business reasons, not health/quality) and may be very hard to get.

For wind conditions, MarineTraffic.com has a good overlay of wind that can provide some guidance as to the degree of sea conditions. FWIW, the North Sea is the one place that had us somewhat queasy - it seems prone to a steep, short set of waves due to the wind but with a swell from 90 degrees offset. That causes the ship to "corkscrew", which is the most uncomfortable motion for pax.

One last item - if you can avoid it in heavier weather, don't do "cabin" work like packing, or reading, that causes you not to be able to look outside, or not close your eyes. If you can, focus on the horizon or lie down and keep your eyes closed.

Seasickness is in part caused by a conflict between the senses - when you're in your cabin and looking down, your eyes tell the brain that everything is "stable", as there is no relative movement. Meanwhile, your inner ear is screaming that everything is moving. That collision confuses the brain and results in nausea. It's why you are told to look at the horizon (in daylight) - your eyes then see  movement and it matches what your inner ear's balance tells the brain.

Take heart - most of your cruising, even in heavy weather, will not likely bother you - and you're now a veteran of what I think is one of the most miserable seas on the planet (the Southern Ocean is still the champ!). 🍺🥌

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

my "go to" was always the scopolamine patch, but it has been discontinued by at least 

Good to know;  I wondered why I couldn't find it in my Walgreens.

I see some on Amazon but I don't recognize the brands as being manufactured to US-Canada, UK, or Euro standards.  (I would not choose to experiment with a skin patch manufactured outside of those regions.)

FWIW, the North Sea is the one place that had us somewhat queasy - it seems prone to a steep, short set of waves due to the wind but with a swell from 90 degrees offset. That causes the ship to "corkscrew", which is the most uncomfortable motion for pax.

YES, that.  I bet that 'corkscrew' effect was in full force that night between Stavanger and Bergen.

Take heart - most of your cruising, even in heavy weather, will not likely bother you - and you're now a veteran of what I think is one of the most miserable seas on the planet. 🍺🥌

I'll give that a weak :: rah ::  ; - ).  

Many thanks for your tips @CurlerRob

My plan is now to: 

• Use the websites to check forecasted conditions for next day.
  • Set a cell phone alarm to take a Dramamine at sail away time the next day, depending on forecasts.
  • Watch the horizon if daytime.
  • Close my eyes if night.

I had ginger candies with me on British Isles Explorer.  But given ginger's strong taste, I could not make myself try one in that moment of feeling so nauseous.  

15 hours ago, SempreMare said:

My perception is

---- The asterisks

Wow, lots of questions in the multiple posts. Hopefully, memory works and I get you a response for all questions. 

Fortunately, I am not afflicted by motion of the ocean, but DW is. With respect to remedies, everyone reacts differently, so it is trial and error, to determine what works best for you, in those particular situations.

However, the one constant is pre-cruise book you can book a cabin that it is as close to midships and on a lower deck. The further you are from the ship's centre of gravity, the more movement. Therefore, ship movement increases the further fwd or aft you move from the middle of the ship and is multiplied by going to higher decks. In addition to selecting a cabin, when in rough seas, avoid Explorer's Lounge - the Living Room on Deck 1 is a better option, as are seats closer to the ship's centre line rather that seats at the windows. Avoid the World Cafe, favouring the main restaurant, and request a table close to the entrance. Tables further aft get more movement.

Recording sea conditions from current/previous cruises really isn't worth the effort, due to the number of variables. Sea state is greatly influenced by water depth and tidal currents, and ship movement depends of factors such as the ship's stability (GM), which changes based on water & bunkers (plus many others), swell and/or wind waves, wave period and direction, fetch, wind speed and ship's speed, to name a few. The ship's course in relation to wind/swell is also a significant factor. Therefore, one cruise in 35 kts winds could be uncomfortable sailing, but another cruise in similar conditions could have gentle rolling.

Weather and sea state forecasts are always best from the source, which is the local region's meteorological office. However, for a quick world wide summary I find windy.com to be the most user friendly. As with all 3rd party software, there is no guarantee regarding the accuracy, unless they are a professional weather routing service.

For motion of the ocean remedies, DW uses a layered approach. Once at sea she normally applies her pressure wrist bands and provided they are positioned correctly, work well for most conditions.  As the motion increases, she starts with gravol, then if heavy weather is expected, she applies a patch about 6 yrs prior. Fortunately she doesn't experience the known issues with the patch, which was available over the counter in Canada. Sadly, it is no longer available for sale, so not sure what she will do once her current supply is expired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since the discussion is centred on nautical stuff, it looks like I may have enjoyed an IPA this morning, rather than a cup of tea,

The typo in the last paragraph of my previous post should read 6 hours, not 6 yrs. DW applies the patch 6 hours before the ship start rocking, so the medication can build in her system and replaces the patch after 3-days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Good to know;  I wondered why I couldn't find it in my Walgreens.

I see some on Amazon but I don't recognize the brands as being manufactured to US-Canada, UK, or Euro standards.  (I would not choose to experiment with a skin patch manufactured outside of those regions.)

YES, that.  I bet that 'corkscrew' effect was in full force that night between Stavanger and Bergen.

I'll give that a weak :: rah ::  ; - ).  

Many thanks for your tips @CurlerRob

My plan is now to: 

• Use the websites to check forecasted conditions for next day.
  • Set a cell phone alarm to take a Dramamine at sail away time the next day, depending on forecasts.
  • Watch the horizon if daytime.
  • Close my eyes if night.

I had ginger candies with me on British Isles Explorer.  But given ginger's strong taste, I could not make myself try one in that moment of feeling so nauseous.  

I don’t like the strong taste of ginger candies either.  I brought a few Lemon Ginger teabags and had a cup in the evening.  I don’t know if it helped but figured it couldn’t hurt!

We have gotten in the habit of always bringing along ginger tablets.  I take two with water before the ship leaves port...at each port.  Also if upon waking (to a day at sea) the seas are a bit turbulent I take a few more ginger tablets.  We have also learned to NOT have an empty stomach on the days when the seas are rocky.  As much as I don't want to eat then, I make myself have a little bread or crackers and it really seems to help me.    

These are things that have helped us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Luckily we aren't bothered by seasickness.  But what we did have to contend with was things in the cabin.  The closet doors slam open and then slam closed.  It's really scary in the middle of the night.  We used walking sticks to block the doors closed.  Also the shelf with the coffee maker slides open dumping items onto the floor.  We used slippers to keep this shelf from opening.  Put the water bottle in the fridge and check your bathroom for items that may fall.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Since the discussion is centred on nautical stuff, it looks like I may have enjoyed an IPA this morning, rather than a cup of tea,

The typo in the last paragraph of my previous post should read 6 hours, not 6 yrs. DW applies the patch 6 hours before the ship start rocking, so the medication can build in her system and replaces the patch after 3-days.

I knew you meant 6 hours. LOL. But I’m glad you clarified. 

8 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

I don’t like the strong taste of ginger candies either.  I brought a few Lemon Ginger teabags and had a cup in the evening.  I don’t know if it helped but figured it couldn’t hurt!

‘If the ship is rocking and rolling have some ginger candies available. You may not be crazy about the taste, but they really do work! 

7 hours ago, CDR2001 said:

I like the patch and I just checked with my pharmacy as we have 2 cruises in 2023. . It’s available with a prescription. 

The patch works great for seasickness but it has side effects which is why it isn’t usally available OTC anymore. Makes your pupils huge and can effect your ability to read. And makes you have dry mouth. I spoke to a physician once on Royal Caribbean and he said they don’t like to recommend them to people. But it may have been just one doctor’s opinion. It was a while ago. 

Edited by Omax4
  • Thanks 1

Turbulent Seas "RunBook" V1.0 

Paraphrasing above awesome responders.

Please reply with any corrections / additions.

=== Before the Cruise ===

You can book a cabin that it is as close to midship and on a lower deck. The further you are from the ship's centre of gravity, the more movement. Therefore, ship movement increases the further fwd or aft you move from the middle of the ship and is multiplied by going to higher decks. -- via Heidi13

=== Situation Normal === 

--- Each day after excursions, I will check these websites

Windy, recommended from FrenchBeret and Heidi13
https://windy.app/forecast2/spot/28740/Bergen+Norway

MarineTraffic, via CurlerRob
For wind conditions, MarineTraffic.com has a good overlay of wind that can provide some guidance as to the degree of sea conditions.

OceanWeather,  via Omax4
oceanweather.com

=== Situation Yellow - Red === 

If the Windy app's colors show Yellow-Red, I will consider taking / doing the following

*** Meds to consider / What to drink ***

- Take that evening:   Ginger pills or Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimenhydrinate

The diphenhydramine component requires about 2 hours to reach peak concentration after either oral or sublingual administration of diphenhydrinate and has a half-life of 5 - 6 hours in healthy adults.

- Drink that evening:  Lemon Ginger Tea

-  Maybe Apply a Scopolamine patch, now available only via prescription
(I found some expired ones)
Known side effects:  Makes your pupils huge and can effect your ability to read. And makes you have dry mouth.  I spoke to a physician once on Royal Caribbean and he said they don’t like to recommend them to people. But it may have been just one doctor’s opinion. It was a while ago.  -- via Omax4

If I do become very nauseous or vomit, I will consider taking:
- Meclizine, Brand name: Bonine

Meclizine is an antihistamine that is now OTC that was developed in the 1950’s. It is usually the generic of Bonine. It is used all the time for motion sickness. -- via Omax4 a retired pharmacist

Feedback on Odansetron, Brand name: Zofran via Omax4,
Ondansetron:  a great drug for general nausea and vomiting.  
However, for motion sickness, it's not as good.  It attacks different brain receptors.  

- feedback from Heidi13 
For motion of the ocean remedies, DW uses a layered approach. Once at sea she normally applies her pressure wrist bands and provided they are positioned correctly, work well for most conditions.  As the motion increases, she starts with Gravol*, then if heavy weather is expected, she applies a patch about 6 HOURS prior. 

Fortunately she doesn't experience the known issues with the patch, which was available over the counter in Canada. Sadly, it is no longer available for sale, so not sure what she will do once her current supply is expired.

* Canadian name for Dramamine

*** Room Prep  for Situation Yellow - Red ***

Control Room Furniture or Item Movement, paraphrased from beach bunnie

• Use walking sticks*  to block the closet doors closed.  This prevents them from slamming open and closed.
  • Use slippers to keep the coffee shelf from opening.  
  • Put water bottle in the fridge. 
  • Check bathroom for items that may fall.

*** Do's and Don'ts ***

Don't:  Drink if seas are going to be rocky.  It doesn’t help. -- via Omax4

Don't:  Do "cabin" work like packing, or reading, that causes you not to be able to look outside, or not close your eyes. If you can, focus on the horizon or lie down and keep your eyes closed. -- via CurlerRob

Avoid: 

When in rough seas, avoid Explorer's Lounge - the Living Room on Deck 1 is a better option, as are seats closer to the ship's centre line rather that seats at the windows. 
Avoid the World Cafe, favouring the main restaurant, and request a table close to the entrance. 
Tables further aft get more movement. -- via Heidi13

>>>>> Questions 

@Omax4, what do you think about Meclizine? 
 I thought Meclizine was synonymous with Odansetron.  
Looks like they are different.

Meclizine:  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meclizine
"sold under the brand names Bonine, Bonamine, Antivert, Postafen, Sea Legs, and Dramamine II (Less Drowsy Formulation)."

@beach bunnie

1) If I don't have a walking stick, would the Viking room umbrella fit through the closet handles ? 

2) I am trying to visualize how you are using the room slippers to keep the coffee shelf from opening. Are you referring to the drawer beneath the shelf or the shelf itself? 

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Turbulent Seas "RunBook" V1.0 

=== Before the Cruise ===

You can book a cabin that it is as close to midship and on a lower deck. The further you are from the ship's centre of gravity, the more movement. Therefore, ship movement increases the further fwd or aft you move from the middle of the ship and is multiplied by going to higher decks. -- via Heidi13

=== Situation Normal === 

--- Each day after excursions, I will check these websites

Windy, recommended from FrenchBeret and Heidi    13
https://windy.app/forecast2/spot/28740/Bergen+Norway

MarineTraffic, via CurlerRob
For wind conditions, MarineTraffic.com has a good overlay of wind that can provide some guidance as to the degree of sea conditions.

OceanWeather,  via Omax4
oceanweather.com

=== Situation Yellow - Red === 

If the Windy app's colors show Yellow-Red, I will consider taking / doing the following

*** Meds to consider / What to drink ***

- Take that evening:   Ginger pills or Dramamine

- Drink that evening:  Lemon Ginger Tea

-  Maybe Apply a Scopolamine patch, now available only via prescription (I found some expired ones)
Known side effects:  Makes your pupils huge and can effect your ability to read. And makes you have dry mouth.  I spoke to a physician once on Royal Caribbean and he said they don’t like to recommend them to people. But it may have been just one doctor’s opinion. It was a while ago.  -- via Omax4

If I do become very nauseous or vomit, I will consider taking:
- maybe Meclizine? 

Feedback on Odansetron / Zofran via Omax4, a retired pharmacist
Ondansetron:  a great drug for general nausea and vomiting.  
However, for motion sickness, it's not as good.  It attacks different brain receptors.  
Alternate Names:  brand name is Zofran

- feedback from Heidi13
For motion of the ocean remedies, DW uses a layered approach. Once at sea she normally applies her pressure wrist bands and provided they are positioned correctly, work well for most conditions.  As the motion increases, she starts with gravol, then if heavy weather is expected, she applies a patch about 6 HOURS prior. 

Fortunately she doesn't experience the known issues with the patch, which was available over the counter in Canada. Sadly, it is no longer available for sale, so not sure what she will do once her current supply is expired.

*** Room Prep  for Situation Yellow - Red **

Control Room Furniture or Item Movement, paraphrased from beach bunnie

• Use walking sticks*  to block the closet doors closed.  This prevents them from slamming open and closed.
  • Use slippers to keep the coffee shelf from opening.  
  • Put water bottle in the fridge. 
  • Check bathroom for items that may fall.

*** Do's and Don'ts ***

Don't:  Drink if seas are going to be rocky.  It doesn’t help. -- via Omax4

Don't:  Do "cabin" work like packing, or reading, that causes you not to be able to look outside, or not close your eyes. If you can, focus on the horizon or lie down and keep your eyes closed. -- via CurlerRob

Avoid: 

When in rough seas, avoid Explorer's Lounge - the Living Room on Deck 1 is a better option, as are seats closer to the ship's centre line rather that seats at the windows. 
Avoid the World Cafe, favouring the main restaurant, and request a table close to the entrance. 
Tables further aft get more movement. -- via Heidi13

*** Questions 

@Omax4, what do you think about Meclizine? 
 I thought Meclizine was synonymous with Odansetron.  
Looks like they are different.

Meclizine:  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meclizine
"sold under the brand names Bonine, Bonamine, Antivert, Postafen, Sea Legs, and Dramamine II (Less Drowsy Formulation)."

@beach bunnie

1) If I don't have a walking stick, would the Viking room umbrella fit through the closet handles ? 

2) I am trying to visualize how you are using the room slippers to keep the coffee shelf from opening. Are you referring to the drawer beneath the shelf or the shelf itself? 

Meclizine is a completely different drug than ondansetron. Meclizine is an antihistamine that is now OTC that was developed in the 1950’s. It is usally the generic of Bonnie. It is used all the time for motion sickness.

Ondansetron is prescription only. The brand is Zofran and was delevoped in the 1990’s for chemotherapy and radiotherapy nausea and vomiting. Later it was found to be helpful in general nausea and vomiting, especially with morning sickness due to pregnancy.

Because ondansetron has no sedation or sleepiness with it, lots of people try to take it with all types of nausea and vomiting. But unfortunately like I said before, it does not work with motion sickness.

Edited by Omax4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1