Caribbean princess noro

sns1

On 4/16/2023 at 11:48 AM, voljeep said:

I oblivously don't understand - what causes there to be a 'season' for NORO?

Folks tend to congregate indoors during the colder months and it spreads more easily. On a ship, it doesn't vary as much season to season, but once brought aboard, it spreads. The least space-to-passenger ratio of all Princess ships is the Caribbean.

https://cruisefever.net/most-crowded-cruise-ships-by-passenger-space-ratio/

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

We received our turn around day paperwork.

Meeting at 9:30 Princess Theater 

We were each given $25 OBC for lunch off the ship.

1:00pm re boarding.

Were you given any suggestions as to where to go for lunch as I don't think there is anything at the port itself.  

6 minutes ago, shopgirl151 said:

Were you given any suggestions as to where to go for lunch as I don't think there is anything at the port itself.  

No, the closest restaurants are back to 17th in those shopping areas.  We didn’t leave the terminal, still waiting to re board. . They had a free bus to the Sawgrass Mall for those interested. 

I just got off Caribbean Princess yesterday - on which I personally contracted norovirus for the first time ever in my life, which includes over 30 years of cruising, 4 years of college dorms and 3 years in the military (which included communal living in both barracks and on ships). I can confidently and unequivocably state that it is NOT passengers who are the super-spreaders on ships. It is the CREW!!! They are not adhering to ANY proper health and hygiene protocols. It was so obvious that we actually addressed it with both the maitre' d at the Buffet and with the Guest Services Supervisor even BEFORE I was stricken with it on Wednesday afternoon and quarantined myself for almost 48 hours. Waiters/busboys/bar staff are not washing hands/disinfecting hands/re-gloving in between clearing dirty dishes and then serving other passengers. It is especially obvious in the buffet, but the problem was also apparent in the dining rooms and bars. Cabin stewards are not masked as they go from room to room, and only are gloved when they are dipping their hands into the disinfectant bucket - but re-using the same gloves and rag for every cabin. Indeed, as we were leaving the ship, on a ship that was known to have rampant noro onboard, we were surprised and appalled that the cabin stewards were neither gloved nor masked when stripping bed linens, releasing whatever may be on those linens into the air. 

On 4/15/2023 at 10:50 PM, pathi said:

1 thing not mentioned in this thread, is the high number of kids due to spring break. I know if I was not standing by the sink mine would skip the hand wash a lot until they got older. 

Very few kids in mid-April as Spring Break is long over.

17 minutes ago, tothemall&beyond said:

I just got off Caribbean Princess yesterday - on which I personally contracted norovirus for the first time ever in my life, which includes over 30 years of cruising, 4 years of college dorms and 3 years in the military (which included communal living in both barracks and on ships). I can confidently and unequivocably state that it is NOT passengers who are the super-spreaders on ships. It is the CREW!!! They are not adhering to ANY proper health and hygiene protocols. It was so obvious that we actually addressed it with both the maitre' d at the Buffet and with the Guest Services Supervisor even BEFORE I was stricken with it on Wednesday afternoon and quarantined myself for almost 48 hours. Waiters/busboys/bar staff are not washing hands/disinfecting hands/re-gloving in between clearing dirty dishes and then serving other passengers. It is especially obvious in the buffet, but the problem was also apparent in the dining rooms and bars. Cabin stewards are not masked as they go from room to room, and only are gloved when they are dipping their hands into the disinfectant bucket - but re-using the same gloves and rag for every cabin. Indeed, as we were leaving the ship, on a ship that was known to have rampant noro onboard, we were surprised and appalled that the cabin stewards were neither gloved nor masked when stripping bed linens, releasing whatever may be on those linens into the air. 

Noro is not spread through the air. Masking would not help at all. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, memoak said:

Noro is not spread through the air. Masking would not help at all. 

The two most common methods of transmission are:

• Touching your hand to your mouth after your hand has been in contact with a contaminated surface or object
  • Being in close contact with a person who has norovirus infection

Therefore, actually masks would help a lot --- by preventing crew from putting contaminated fingers near their noses and mouths after either one of these scenarios, thus preventing infection and further spread.

It speaks volumes that ships were not plagued by noro when everyone wore masks for covid, and that ships were still not plagued by noro when crew had to continue to mask, even after passengers no longer had to mask. As soon as crew no longer had to mask, noro became rampant on ships. Res ipsa loquitur.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

17 minutes ago, tothemall&beyond said:

The two most common methods of transmission are:

• Touching your hand to your mouth after your hand has been in contact with a contaminated surface or object

Therefore, actually masks would help a lot --- by preventing crew from putting contaminated fingers near their noses and mouths after either one of these scenarios, thus preventing infection and further spread.

It speaks volumes that ships were not plagued by noro when everyone wore masks for covid, and that ships were still not plagued by noro when crew had to continue to mask, even after passengers no longer had to mask. As soon as crew no longer had to mask, noro became rampant on ships. Res ipsa loquitur.

I have been on 5 cruises since Covid and only one had a brief tussle with Noro for about 5 days. The other 50 days or so have not had any problems. This is akin to my experiences pre covid

• Like 1

CB is still fighting it. The B2B process isn’t fun since we are off from 9:30-1pm. i’m here for a few more turnarounds so hopefully they can get it under control.

The cabins also aren’t available until after 2pm on turnaround which make for a lot of chaos and even if you are a B2B you are still locked out of the corridors 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

CB is still fighting it. The B2B process isn’t fun since we are off from 9:30-1pm. i’m here for a few more turnarounds so hopefully they can get it under control.

The cabins also aren’t available until after 2pm on turnaround which make for a lot of chaos and even if you are a B2B you are still locked out of the corridors 

I always have lunch ashore when possible on my b2b cruises so that time frame works great for me.  I rarely even board on embarkation till after 2 pm. Knowing you will have ship food for weeks it is nice to have sime not quite usual food before you board

11 minutes ago, memoak said:

I always have lunch ashore when possible on my b2b cruises so that time frame works great for me.  I rarely even board on embarkation till after 2 pm. Knowing you will have ship food for weeks it is nice to have sime not quite usual food before you board

We could have left, they gave us the option but I live on the FL coats so it’s nothing exciting. If anything it would have been a Pub Sub 😁 

There is a good breakfast place close by and an authentic sub place as well for anyone looking to leave on turn around. 

Edited by Jadn13

48 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have been on 5 cruises since Covid and only one had a brief tussle with Noro for about 5 days. The other 50 days or so have not had any problems. This is akin to my experiences pre covid

On how many of your post-covid cruises was masking still required for all (pax and crew), or for just crew, or for no one? More to the point, when you contracted noro, was anyone still masked? If so, who? It's relevant because I have also cruised 5 times post-covid (43 days) and got it on the only cruise of the 5 on which crew members were no longer required to be masked.

36 minutes ago, tothemall&beyond said:

On how many of your post-covid cruises was masking still required for all (pax and crew), or for just crew, or for no one? More to the point, when you contracted noro, was anyone still masked? If so, who? It's relevant because I have also cruised 5 times post-covid (43 days) and got it on the only cruise of the 5 on which crew members were no longer required to be masked.

What is the connection between being unmasked and norovirus?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

What is the connection between being unmasked and norovirus?

As I wrote in an earlier comment, the two most common methods of transmission of norovirus are:

Masks help by preventing (crew) putting contaminated fingers near their noses and mouths after either one of these scenarios, thus preventing infection and further spread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tothemall&beyond said:

I have never gotten Noro in 50 cruises   Covid yes Noro no. There was Noro on a cruise I was on in Maarch and I still watched passengers refusing to wash their hands going into the buffet. This is not just on the crew 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tothemall&beyond said:

As I wrote in an earlier comment, the two most common methods of transmission of norovirus are:

Masks help by preventing (crew) putting contaminated fingers near their noses and mouths after either one of these scenarios, thus preventing infection and further spread.

I think people.... mainly passengers... became complacent about their personal hygiene with the reduction of Covid-related measures to reduce the spread of disease.

12 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I think people.... mainly passengers... became complacent about their personal hygiene with the reduction of Covid-related measures to reduce the spread of disease.

Not what I've observed, including on this voyage last week. Passengers were very good about washing hands and using hand sanitizer. Crew was not! 

25 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have never gotten Noro in 50 cruises   Covid yes Noro no. There was Noro on a cruise I was on in Maarch and I still watched passengers refusing to wash their hands going into the buffet. This is not just on the crew 

I've never gotten noro in my equal number of cruises. Till now. We can agree to disagree on the source. But people should stop blaming passengers as the main source. Because those same passengers are not causing outbreaks at their places of employment or worship, at shopping malls, fitness centers, nail salons, restaurants, etc. Or even in hotels or on airplanes. So what's the common denominator for cruise outbreaks? The crew. Again, res ipsa loquitur. Peace out.

Edited by tothemall&beyond
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, tothemall&beyond said:

I've never gotten noro in my equal number of cruises. Till now. We can agree to disagree on the source. But people should stop blaming passengers as the main source. Because those same passengers are not causing outbreaks at their places of employment or worship, at shopping malls, fitness centers, nail salons, restaurants, etc. Or even in hotels or on airplanes. So what's the common denominator for cruise outbreaks? The crew. Again, res ipsa loquitur. Peace out.

How do you know any of that?  About the only reason anybody knows much about noro on ships is because it must be reported.  It's possible the local church social led to all kinds of problems you and nearly everybody else are unaware of. Iste mundus furibundus.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, tothemall&beyond said:

Noro is very very common in hospitals. That is probably the most likely location for Noro and yet there are tons of masks there

• Like 4

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Noro is very very common in hospitals. That is probably the most likely location for Noro and yet there are tons of masks there

And it's also very... popular... in communal living situations, such as senior care facilities, jails, etc.

These aren't as heard of because they aren't as "sexy" for the news as cruise ships.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tothemall&beyond said:

It's relevant because I have also cruised 5 times post-covid (43 days) and got it on the only cruise of the 5 on which crew members were no longer required to be masked.

Correlation does not imply causation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tothemall&beyond said:

But people should stop blaming passengers as the main source. Because those same passengers are not causing outbreaks at their places of employment or worship, at shopping malls, fitness centers, nail salons, restaurants, etc. Or even in hotels or on airplanes.

Noro will hit you hard in less than 24 hours after catching it. So they were not spreading it at work, etc. because they did not have it then. Anyone with active noro would be in no condition to travel to a cruise.

So initially passengers likely pick it up on the way to the cruise or at a port stop. Then once on board, will spread it before the symptoms hit.

Or spread it after symptoms hit by not staying in their cabin.