Does Silver Status Take Effect On The 10th Cruise?

Aloha 1

We will board our 10th Oceania cruise this year. Do the O Club Silver benefits take effect ON that cruise or after? Such as the $250 OBC and free gratuities. Anyone have actual experience with this?

Though I didn't think raw number of cruises was determining?

Per O, silver membership takes 10 cruise credits and 10 credits is 100-157 days. So, if someone took many short cruises, e.g., 7 days, takes them longer.

Just bugs me a bit since we're working toward Bronze but that takes 55 days or an average of 5 11 day cruises. We've taken 2 10 days and have 3 more 10 days booked, but that only gets us to 50 for our 5 cruises.

3 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Per O, silver membership takes 10 cruise credits and 10 credits is 100-157 days. So, if someone took many short cruises, e.g., 7 days, takes them longer.

Just bugs me a bit since we're working toward Bronze but that takes 55 days or an average of 5 11 day cruises. We've taken 2 10 days and have 3 more 10 days booked, but that only gets us to 50 for our 5 cruises.

10 cruise credits can be a minimum of 70 days (10 cruises @ 7 days each) or as many as 240 days (cruises up to 24 days get 1 credit)  so it depends.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

10 cruise credits can be a minimum of 70 days (10 cruises @ 7 days each) or as many as 240 days (cruises up to 24 days get 1 credit)  so it depends.

Here is O's official numbers. Silver status at 100 days minimum. Thus, 7 credits, which have NO membership status akin to Bronze or Silver, is 65-99 days. Bronze is 55-64 days and Silver is 100-158 days. There is NOTHING between Bronze and Silver.

Oceania Club Cruise Loyalty Program & Cruise Deals | Oceania Cruises

1 minute ago, MEFIowa said:

Here is O's official numbers. Silver status at 100 days minimum. Thus, 7 credits, which have NO membership status akin to Bronze or Silver, is 65-99 days. Bronze is 55-64 days and Silver is 100-158 days. There is NOTHING between Bronze and Silver.

Apples and oranges, you are looking at the number of credits that cruises of different lengths will add to your total.  That is different than the number of credits needed for each status level.  

• Like 2

"Here is O's official numbers. Silver status at 100 days minimum. Thus, 7 credits, which have NO membership status akin to Bronze or Silver, is 65-99 days. Bronze is 55-64 days and Silver is 100-158 days. There is NOTHING between Bronze and Silver.

Oceania Club Cruise Loyalty Program & Cruise Deals | Oceania Cruises"

To put it another way, for the examples you chose, if you booked and sailed a single cruise that was 55-64 days long, you would get 5 cruise credits for that cruise that count towards your membership category. So if you never sailed with Oceania before, sailing that single cruise gives you Bronze status.

If you booked and sailed a single cruise that was 100-158 days long, you would get 10 cruise credits for that cruise that count towards your membership category.  So if you never sailed with Oceania before, sailing that single cruise gives you Silver status.

To finish your examples, booking and sailing a single cruise that was 65-99 days long would get you 7 cruise credits.  So if you never sailed with Oceania before, sailing that single cruise gives you Bronze status and you would need fewer cruise credits to obtain Silver status than if you sailed the first cruise example above (55-64 days).

As to the original question, yes, it's not the 10th cruise but the cruise on which one obtains the 10th credit that is being asked about.  The OP has 9 credits right now and is going on a cruise where he/she will get his/her 10th credit and is wondering if he/she will have Silver status for that cruise.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

If you take  5 cruises  up to 24 days  you will get  1 credit   for each

I do not think my math  is  that bad 

5  x 7 day cruises  =35  days = Bronze

5  x 10 day cruises = 70 days = Bronze

5 x 20 day cruises  = 100 days  = Bronze

1 RTW  cruise 180 days  = Gold

All depends on how you work the numbers

Where  are you seeing minimum number of days  to get to the next level?

51 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

... Where are you seeing minimum number of days to get to the next level?

From O's own published information. The level is tied directly to "Cruise Credits" and those are directly tied to DAYS, not number of cruises. Guess what you don't see there? Any mention of the "number of cruises", which is immaterial because they have to be converted to days.

Bronze: 5 Cruise Credits (min 55 days)

Silver: 10 Cruise Credits (min 100 days)

Gold: 15 Cruise Credits (min 158 days)

"CLUB MEMBERS QUALIFY FOR OCEANIA CLUB LEVEL STATUS BASED ON THE NUMBER OF CRUISE CREDITS EARNED."

10 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

From O's own published information. The level is tied directly to "Cruise Credits" and those are directly tied to DAYS, not number of cruises. Guess what you don't see there? Any mention of the "number of cruises", which is immaterial because they have to be converted to days.

"CLUB MEMBERS QUALIFY FOR OCEANIA CLUB LEVEL STATUS BASED ON THE NUMBER OF CRUISE CREDITS EARNED."

I am afraid that you are confusing cruise credits and number of days a sailing "cruise" earns cruise credits:

1 cruise credit for sailings up to 24 days

2 cruise credits for sailings 25 - 34 days

3 cruse credits for sailings 35- 44 days

4 cruise credits for sailings 45 - 54 days

5 cruise credits for sailings 55 -65 days....

Bronze requires 5 cruise CREDITS

you can earn 5 cruise CREDITS by taking:

5 sailings that are 24 days or less ( 5 x 1 credit)

2 sailings that are 25 - 34 days  (2 x 2 credits) and 1 sailings of 24 days or less (1 x 1 credit)

1 sailing of 35 -44 days ( 1 x 3 credits) and 1 sailing of 25 - 34 days ( 1 x 2 credits)

1 sailing of 45 -54 days ( 1 x 4 credits) and 1 sailing of 24 days of less ( 1 x 1 credit)

1 sailing of 55 - 65 days ( 1 x 5 credits)

So basically you can take 5 - 7 day sailings (each sailing earns 1 cruise credit) and earn Bronze with 35 days. 

Hope this clarifies the difference between days of a sailing and how many cruise credits you will earn for that sailing and how many cruise credits you need to qualify for the different loyalty levels,

• Like 4

@basor types faster than I do! And explains it well, 

Ok I'll take a turn lol. Let's see if I can make it more confused! 

There are two different times that cruise credits get analyzed. 

First when earning the credit. This is based on the length of the reservation. For example a 7 day cruise earns one cruise credit. A 24 day cruise earns 1 cruise credit. Two separate reservations B2B for a 10 and a 14 day cruise get 1 cruise credit each (you can't always book this way, but this is one reason you might try). The same ship and same 24 days someone else with a single reservation will earn 1 (not 2) cruise credits. This is where you need 55 days to get 5 cruise credits for a single reservation. 

You "earn" the cruise credit(s) as soon as you set foot on the ship for that reservation. I assume but don't know for certain that in the B2B example you would get 1 credit on day 1 and the second credit on day 15 (the first day of the 14 day segment)

Second time to figure cruise credits is when calculating loyalty status. The number of cruise credits earned through the current reservation is what gets counted. 2 different bronze status members could have anywhere from 29 days sailed (day one of 5th cruise where the first four were each 7 days) to 120 days sailed (day 24 of 5th cruise where the first four were also each 24 days). This is where 55 days sailed doesn't tell us someone's loyalty status or cruise credit count. Could be anything from 3 credits (not-yet-bronze) to 8 (already bronze and closing in on silver - for example someone on the next-to-last day of their 8th cruise all of which have been 7 days). 

6 minutes ago, basor said:

I am afraid that you are confusing cruise credits and number of days a sailing "cruise" earns cruise credits: ...

Hope this clarifies the difference between days of a sailing and how many cruise credits you will earn for that sailing and how many cruise credits you need to qualify for the different loyalty levels,

I'm not seeing any direct tie to what you write and what O has actually published there, but I will admit the issue is tied to the ambiguity that've created with "Cruise Credits" and "Days", since the three words they don't use are "Number of Cruises".

Using your "math, IF 5 cruises each at 7 days would be equal to Bronze Status, then:

- 10 cruises each at 7 days would be equal to Silver Staus (100 days), yet only 70 days

- 15 cruises each at 7 days would be equal to Gold Status (158+ days), yet only 105 days

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, babysteps said:

@basor types faster than I do! And explains it well, 

Ok I'll take a turn lol. Let's see if I can make it more confused! 

There are two different times that cruise credits get analyzed. ...

I appreciate what YOU wrote, but YOU aren't O. So can YOU cite O documents? O's web site? Some official O interpretation?

44 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

I appreciate what YOU wrote, but YOU aren't O. So can YOU cite O documents? O's web site? Some official O interpretation?

It is the same link to the Oceania Loyalty program you use:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/oceania-club-benefits

I agree is is confusing because O does not state that the banner across the top of the page is telling you how many cruise credits you receive for a sailing based upon the number of days the sailing is.....and then below it has the box for each loyalty level and tells you how many cruise credits you must obtain for each level.

Since you are insistent that all of us are wrong, I suggest you contact the Oceania Club and ask them to clarify for you.

Based upon what O has assigned us our loyalty status ( not me ) we have saIled on 

12 sailings since 2010

11 sailings of 24 days or less (142 days total)  - received 11 credits

1 sailing of 25 days - received 2 credits

13 cruise credits and thus Silver level and it states right across the top of My Oceania Club account that I need 2 more cruise credits to reach Gold.

Membership Level

You have 13 Cruise Credit(s)

You need 2 more credit to reach Gold Status
Loyalty Number: 100...........

Based upon what you interpret, with 167 days of sailing I would already be Gold

This is found by signing into our Oceania account and going to the "My Oceania Club". - I hope this is official enough for you...

Edited by basor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

I am not sure you comprehend what you are reading 

You will get  5 credits  for a cruise of 55 to 64 days  not that you NEED  55 days  to get Bronze

As explained  by many above

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

So you do not believe anyone that has  gotten to  a higher  Club level  🙄

The top section of the page you posted the link to   just tells you if you take a cruise of that length how many credits you  get  NOT how many you need to reach the club level

14 minutes ago, Maine Cruisers said:

We are booked on 2 back to back cruises in Jan 2024. The first is 21 nights and the second is 14 nights for a total of 35 nights. Will we get 1 cruise credit for each or 3 cruise credits for the combined.  We are in the same cabin for both?

This is where it gets trickier - do you have 2 separate booking numbers?  If you have 2 separate booking numbers than it is 2 cruise credits.....if it is under 1 booking number than it is 3 cruise credits.  Sometimes, it is worth more to have B2B (2B etc.) under separate booking numbers because you receive loyalty perks for each cruise plus any OBC from AMEX or NCL stock (if applicable) for each cruise versus 1 booking number and receive the extra cruise credit but only one set of perks.  If we are looking at B2B, we always check the bottom line both ways and then decide which is more in our favor.

• Like 2

Goodness that updated page is terrible, I can see why you don't believe us @MEFIowa

I did find an official Oceania FAQ that helps!

"As long as the club number is attached to your future bookings, you will accumulate cruise credits based on the length of the voyage."

And on the misleading page, "Club members qualify for Oceania Club level status based on the number of cruise credits earned." 

If I may share, in #15, Basor was right on, 13 Oceania Cruise Credits were earned and the total number of days sailed does not come into play in the overall Oceania Loyalty Program.  Other lines do use days sailed and/or cruises, even Regent does, BUT O DOES NOT. I fought this battle with O over a dozen years ago. It is their program and they will run it their way, thank you very much. 

Basor was also right on related to the B2B issue of the 24 day and 11 day cruises totaling 35 days. Run the numbers and work with Oceania and/or a TA to see what the bottom line is. If the two cruises are offered as a Grand Voyage, you can expect that bottom line will be the BEST Value. Still, run the numbers.  A couple years back we booked the Miami to Santiago, 51 day cruise in 2023. It was sold as 2 or 3 segments or as a Grand Voyage or a 21, 10 and 20 day cruises.  Only received 3 cruise credits BUT run the numbers. Contrary to what was expected, booking the trips as 31 day and 20 day cruises with two separate booking numbers cost less than the B2B2B or even the 51 day Grand Voyage by over $2k. We booked the trips immediately after they were announced and we ran it by the TA, ran it by the O Rep, and reran the numbers.  It was a case that the early Oceania brochure and Website numbers and the timing of the booking really worked in our favor. The Only bummer, we received 3 cruise credits but still saved $2,000. Moral of the story, RUN THE NUMBERS 👍😇.

Mauibabes

• Like 3

On 4/15/2023 at 9:46 AM, MEFIowa said:

Credits are not issued strictly by the number of days.  The website says 1 credit is issued for cruises up to 24 days. 25-34 day cruise earns 2 credits, 35-44 day cruise earns 3 credits, etc. (the numbers change after 64 days -- 65 - 179 day cruises earn 7 credits and 180+ day cruises earn 8 credits. So it's actually the shortest and longest cruises that earn fewer credits per cruise.

Just now, DoulaAnn said:

Credits are not issued strictly by the number of days.  The website says 1 credit is issued for cruises up to 24 days. 25-34 day cruise earns 2 credits, 35-44 day cruise earns 3 credits, etc. (the numbers change after 64 days -- 65 - 179 day cruises earn 7 credits and 180+ day cruises earn 8 credits. So it's actually the shortest and longest cruises that earn fewer credits per cruise.

Correction -- with those 7 day cruises, you would earn 3 credits and with 21 days, you would earn 1.

This is great information, and a funny thread. 

Also an excellent example of who you should take advice from. A two cruise wonder or those that have been on multiple Oceania cruises over the years. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1