Drop Off and Pick Up at NYC Pier 88

Tutone56

Hi - My brother-in-law will be dropping us off at the pier for the NCL Escape in September and then picking us up the following Sunday.  Can anyone tell me how that works so I can tell him.  I'm more concerned as to where we can meet him when we get off the ship.  Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Tutone56 said:

My brother-in-law will be dropping us off at the pier for the NCL Escape in September and then picking us up the following Sunday.  Can anyone tell me how that works so I can tell him.  I'm more concerned as to where we can meet him when we get off the ship.

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal looks a lot like a major airport drop off in that there are upper and lower levels depending on what type of vehicle you are arriving in (private car, bus, limo, etc). Dropping off is easy-- he will proceed to the pier number and there will be porters there waiting to take your checked luggage. You just proceed into the building for check in.

On the pickup just have them be in the area waiting around your disembark time and call them once you have cleared any immigration. You'll be directed to where pickups are happening that day. You'll just call and let him know what pier you are at and to proceed to the terminal once you are curbside-- much like an airport pickup. 

• Like 2

One thing to add. You're on a big ship, Escape, and it's not unheard of for the police to decide to not allow any cars picking up departing passengers to enter the cruise terminal grounds when a large ship is in port. There's no way to predict if that will happen on the day you're disembarking, as it's a judgement call made by the police. If that happens on the day you're disembarking your BIL will have to meet you on the other side of 12th Ave., not in the cruise terminal.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just what “taxi stand”, and what “street” are you referring to?

You exit the pier on the lower level and cross 6 lane with an island in the middle of 12th Ave or what they now call Hudson River Greenway. The taxi stand is on the southwest corner of 12th Ave and 48th Street.

I previously had some luck catching a Taxi on the 2nd level as they drop people off but there have been employees that have been trying to prevent that. 

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just what “taxi stand”, and what “street” are you referring to?

5 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

You exit the pier on the lower level and cross 6 lane with an island in the middle of 12th Ave or what they now call Hudson River Greenway. The taxi stand is on the southwest corner of 12th Ave and 48th Street.

The taxi stand is on the southeast corner of 12th Ave and 48th St.   (Remember, you have to cross 12th Ave to get to it.)

For anyone taking a taxi, get a porter at baggage claim inside the terminal, even if you don't really need one.  They'll take your stuff and get you across 12th Ave. and put you in a cab.   Well worth the tip you will give them.