No solo cruise fares anymore

Ctlolo1

MSC is still chucking out some solos on Virtuosa, there was one for June just this week.

Don't be fooled by NCL Solo cabins they were often more than the Solo rates in regular cabins and had a premium over the pp rate of regular cabins maybe not 100% but a significant uplift 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AceDoc said:

A little trick, if you're willing to pay 200%, is to book the cabin with a dummy cabin-mate. Of course, you could probably also ask for volunteers here for an actual free cabin-mate. 😄

You better read the Terms and Conditions and Conditions of Carriage  on the MSC website before trying this "cheat" on MSC.

MSC has caught on to the game and specifically mentions "no Show" or cancellation of a passenger in a cabin which would leave a passenger solo in a double cabin.

Personally, I don't think it's intentional, I think it's their crummy website. If there's solo cabins available, it'll let a solo book any cabin. If solo cabins are all booked, it'll show no availability for any cabin if the booking is set for 1 pax. Just another MSC quirk......

• Thanks 1

yeap, I booked our cruise for my MIL a couple of months ago, a solo cruiser in a cabin for 2. Right now if I look up pricing for 1 person for this cruise, it just says "this cruise is sold out".

Error
Apologies this cruise is now fully booked, please try a new search

We know it's a lie, because when I look it up for 2 people, it's nowhere near sold out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yeap, I booked our cruise for my MIL a couple of months ago, a solo cruiser in a cabin for 2. Right now if I look up pricing for 1 person for this cruise, it just says "this cruise is sold out".

Error

We know it's a lie, because when I look it up for 2 people, it's nowhere near sold out.

Fully booked for singles - they have a set amount of cabins for single occupancy and then that is it. Their cruise line - their rules.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Error

Not a lie - their single cruise fare policy. Sold out for single occupancy.

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Not a lie - their single cruise fare policy. Sold out for single occupancy.

Untruth? Misrepresentation? (or any of a variety of synonyms to be used; I'm flexible)

Most companies with an enforced policy can provide some sort of 'fine print' text to offer . . . something . . . anything . . . but it definitely appears that MSC does not offer that to the general consumer, or even their onboard personnel.  The really nice lady onboard Meraviglia a few weeks ago squirmed uncomfortably with most questions about future cruises I was interested in booking (potentially three new ones). I thanked her for her time, offered my e-mail contact in case she researched answers, and I left the ship without booking anything. In a few days I will visit with the team member onboard Seaside, and perhaps book some future cruise vacations.  

Their marketing team is seemingly not as interested in a solos market as some of the other major lines are. That may change in the future, yet perhaps not.  As you said, their rules to make (just be prepared to provide me the rules).

For the record, my first MSC cruise greatly exceeded overall expectations once onboard, and I'm really looking forward to another positive experience later this week.  Their pre-cruise booking process, e-mail communication, and online/phone support is a glorified turd in most instances.  

Edited by DGP1111
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DGP1111 said:

Untruth? Misrepresentation? (or any of a variety of synonyms to be used; I'm flexible)

Most companies with an enforced policy can provide some sort of 'fine print' text to offer . . . something . . . anything . . . but it definitely appears that MSC does not offer that to the general consumer, or even their onboard personnel.  The really nice lady onboard Meraviglia a few weeks ago squirmed uncomfortably with most questions about future cruises I was interested in booking (potentially three new ones). I thanked her for her time, offered my e-mail contact in case she researched answers, and I left the ship without booking anything. In a few days I will visit with the team member onboard Seaside, and perhaps book some future cruise vacations.  

Their marketing team is seemingly not as interested in a solos market as some of the other major lines are. That may change in the future, yet perhaps not.  As you said, their rules to make (just be prepared to provide me the rules).

For the record, my first MSC cruise greatly exceeded overall expectations once onboard, and I'm really looking forward to another positive experience later this week.  Their pre-cruise booking process, e-mail communication, and online/phone support is a glorified turd in most instances.  

While inquiring about a future cruise when you sailed on the Meraviglia what kind of extra perk did they offer as an incentive to book then and there?  

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

And which cruise lines - aside from NCL with their studios - have made an active effort of courting the solo cruiser? Carnival? NCL? Princess?

There are currently 7 main stream cruise lines that offer solo cabins.

Royal Caribbean 12 ships

Celebrity 5 ships

Virgin 3 ships

Holland America 3 ships

Costa 6 ships

P&O 7 ships

Oceania 4 ships

So there are options if the cruiser is flexible, MSC even has them on 5 of their ships in the fleet.

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Royal Caribbean 12 ships

Celebrity 5 ships

Virgin 3 ships

Holland America 3 ships

Costa 6 ships

P&O 7 ships

Oceania 4 ships

So there are options if the cruiser is flexible, MSC even has them on 5 of their ships in the fleet.

Just because we cruise solo shouldn't mean that we're relegated to only the Solo cabins.  With a few exceptions, they are interior and tiny.  I've sailed in them, but since I can now afford to pay 200% at times, I prefer to get a normal cabin with more space and a balcony.  (I do realize a few of these ships have solo balconies, but that's not my point).  

I was recently looking at booking a last minute cruise on MSC.  They had slashed their rates for this particular cruise for everyone else, but as a solo, I could not book it at all.  Is that their stance?  They would rather a room go empty than to sell it to a solo traveler?  I would get it if they wanted to hold out to try to book 2+, but when they seem to be trying hard to sell more rooms, why not open them up to solo travelers?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, missnd said:

Just because we cruise solo shouldn't mean that we're relegated to only the Solo cabins.  With a few exceptions, they are interior and tiny.  I've sailed in them, but since I can now afford to pay 200% at times, I prefer to get a normal cabin with more space and a balcony.  (I do realize a few of these ships have solo balconies, but that's not my point).  

I was recently looking at booking a last minute cruise on MSC.  They had slashed their rates for this particular cruise for everyone else, but as a solo, I could not book it at all.  Is that their stance?  They would rather a room go empty than to sell it to a solo traveler?  I would get it if they wanted to hold out to try to book 2+, but when they seem to be trying hard to sell more rooms, why not open them up to solo travelers?

OK, I was just providing a list of lines that provides solo cabins as a response to a previous post by RD64.

If you want to pay 200% go ahead.  Put a fictional name as your cabin mate and then just say he is a no show.  MSC has no way of knowing you're lying to them, they get their 200% for the cabin and everything should be good to go. 

MSC have been selling loads of solo on Virtuosa, market leader in the UK with the prices, got P&O to start offering more.

Many have had 20% and not such a good TA discount on the drinks but still cheap.

One recently for a June cruise solo rate with drinks £479, 2pax £650pp.

Holiday cruise less need to sell to solo as they can fill the ships with families.

If the US site is blocking solo bookings try a regional one.

Go to and pick a country

mssccruises.com

9 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Royal Caribbean 12 ships

Celebrity 5 ships

Virgin 3 ships

Holland America 3 ships

Costa 6 ships

P&O 7 ships

Oceania 4 ships

The number of dedicated solo cabins - apart from NCL - is minuscule. On the HAL ships they are located in the worst possible location. Bottom deck, as far forward as you can get. Also - they are usually more expensive than booking a regular cabin at double occupancy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RD64 said:

The number of dedicated solo cabins - apart from NCL - is minuscule. On the HAL ships they are located in the worst possible location. Bottom deck, as far forward as you can get. Also - they are usually more expensive than booking a regular cabin at double occupancy.

There's a dozen ships with at least 25 solo cabins besides what NCL offers.  The next best line is Virgin who has 47 on each of their 3 ships.  If you wish to book one of these cabins, you need to book well in advance, otherwise pay the 200% or find someone to travel with. 

On 4/26/2023 at 6:17 AM, RD64 said:

This is true!

On 4/26/2023 at 7:25 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

There's a dozen ships with at least 25 solo cabins besides what NCL offers.  The next best line is Virgin who has 47 on each of their 3 ships.  If you wish to book one of these cabins, you need to book well in advance, otherwise pay the 200% or find someone to travel with. 

Other than  NCL and Virgin, please elaborate as to which mainstream ships have 25 solo cabins.

6 hours ago, RD64 said:

Other than  NCL and Virgin, please elaborate as to which mainstream ships have 25 solo cabins.

I mentioned a dozen besides NCL, after factoring out the 3 from Virgin, the remaining 9 are:

Anthem OTS 26, Ovation OTS 28,  Quantum OTS 28, Spectrum OTS 28, Celebrity Beyond 32, MSC Bellissima 32, MSC Meraviglia 32, P&O Arvia 32, P&O Britannia 27.  And the Celebrity Apex has 24.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The original poster and Steelers lady are correct- MSC will NOT sell a cabin to a solo traveler for any fee unless it is one of their solo specified cabins. By the way, this is different than they were in 2010 when I did buy a European balcony cruise advertised at $499 a person for $998 for a solo. To those who are not understanding, the solo cruisers here don't really care if the room is labeled a Studio or a Solo cabin and only sold for one. We are speaking about an inside cabin being advertised as $359pp, clicking in on it, changing the number in the room to 1 instead of 2. Most cruise lines, that room will update and adjust to show the fare at $718 for a solo. MSC flat out won't let a solo book. Not on the phone either. The only solo they want to sell to is one buying their Murphy bed solo room for one. It makes no sense. AS a solo traveler, I am well versed in buying the whole room. Hampton Inn doesn't care how many people are in the room- the room costs $_____. It should be the same on a cruise ship (and usually is). Sometimes close to sailing, they will discount empty cabins for a solo, but MSC will simply not sell you the cabin at any price. Very, very odd.

32 minutes ago, NancyW12 said:

The original poster and Steelers lady are correct- MSC will NOT sell a cabin to a solo traveler for any fee unless it is one of their solo specified cabins. By the way, this is different than they were in 2010 when I did buy a European balcony cruise advertised at $499 a person for $998 for a solo. To those who are not understanding, the solo cruisers here don't really care if the room is labeled a Studio or a Solo cabin and only sold for one. We are speaking about an inside cabin being advertised as $359pp, clicking in on it, changing the number in the room to 1 instead of 2. Most cruise lines, that room will update and adjust to show the fare at $718 for a solo. MSC flat out won't let a solo book. Not on the phone either. The only solo they want to sell to is one buying their Murphy bed solo room for one. It makes no sense. AS a solo traveler, I am well versed in buying the whole room. Hampton Inn doesn't care how many people are in the room- the room costs $_____. It should be the same on a cruise ship (and usually is). Sometimes close to sailing, they will discount empty cabins for a solo, but MSC will simply not sell you the cabin at any price. Very, very odd.

This is not always correct.  If you are booking far enough out they will.  A couple of weeks ago I managed to book as a solo for a 3 day in August on Seaside.  A couple of months ago, I had a chat with MSC about this, and a few days later for a call from a fellow named Vladimir who said he was now my rep.  So I put him in my contacts.  Then I got calls and e-mails from at least two ladies.  The day after I booked the 3 day cruise. I got a call from one of the women.  The phone still says Vladimir it I know it is MSC.  Anyway, she had no idea I was already booked, but I said I was interested in booked the previous 4 day.  She was able to do it.  Both are inside gty, and she said they would try to link them so I get the same cabin.  EM