QM2 Cancellation 23rd & 30th April

avalon1025

8 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Where's this from  ?

All over facebook....

I Quote...'they cancelled it today. We’re on the New York return leg. Our friends who we were going to meet for a big birthday next week are in Southampton waiting to get on. I don’t know how Cunard could cancel so close to embarkation when they knew there was an engine problem."

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Where's this from  ?

Been quoted on a few FB pages:

Queen Mary 2 arrived into Southampton last night for assessment of a technical issue. Unfortunately, after further investigation, it has been confirmed that this work will take longer to resolve than anticipated and the ship is unable to sail until this is completed.

Therefore, we are so sorry to advise that voyage M310/A on Queen Mary 2 can no longer continue as planned to New York and is now cancelled.

You will receive a full refund and a Future Cruise Credit of 20% of monies paid. This will be set up automatically and will be registered to your Cunard World Club number. You will be able to use this Future Cruise Credit on any future booking booked prior to 23rd April 2025.

Any shore experiences purchased for this voyage will also be fully refunded to the original payment method.

If you booked your voyage as part of a holiday package with a third party tour operator, your operator will be in touch with you regarding any gesture of goodwill.

Once again, we are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience this will cause.

Kind regards,

Cunard

• Like 4

Just now, Solent Richard said:

I feel for Cunard, A double whammy as many American passengers were due to transfer from Queen Victoria this morning for the trans Atlantic voyage home on Queen Mary 2. 

I'm affected (but am fortunately not stranded like many) but yes, I agree.

• Like 3

Yes sister in law, husband and friends due to leave today and have been told that it has been cancelled due to technical issues! They are distraught as are we and am now wondering how this gets resolved and they make it to NY. Any thoughts?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Holibobsue said:

Yes sister in law, husband and friends due to leave today and have been told that it has been cancelled due to technical issues! They are distraught as are we and am now wondering how this gets resolved and they make it to NY. Any thoughts?

Considering the numbers involved my best guess (speculation) is that Cunard are at this moment busy seeking to charter an aircraft (or two). I don't have any idea at the numbers involved however.

• Like 2

Oh dear. We've got a massive trip planned starting on the QM2 30 April in NY,  with weeks in the UK, a trip on the QV, and then back on QM2.  We can't fly over so the entire thing will have to be canceled if they cancel M311. 

• Like 1

Cunard isn't chartering anything. We are stuck in the UK trying to find last-minute arrangements to get back home to the US. 

This was our way home from vacation, it is going to be an expensive pain to find another way back.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mdavid17 said:

Cunard isn't chartering anything. We are stuck in the UK trying to find last-minute arrangements to get back home to the US. 

This was our way home from vacation, it is going to be an expensive pain to find another way back.

I have a friend working at this moment at the 'Ocean Terminal'. He sent me this text seconds ago...

'Yes, just heard UK passengers are being sent home when they arrive. International passengers are being offered a night onboard whilst travel arrangements are sorted! '

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Don't know if this has happened before, but can anyone comment on how this might affect the follow-on crossing, eastbound NYC-Southampton on April 30? 

Sincerely sorry for those immediately affected. 

You'd think it would be cancelled  unless she steam across and full speed in 4 days or so (as they used to in the old days - not sure that QM2 can go that fast) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, esrs said:

Oh dear. We've got a massive trip planned starting on the QM2 30 April in NY,  with weeks in the UK, a trip on the QV, and then back on QM2.  We can't fly over so the entire thing will have to be canceled if they cancel M311. 

If anything the last few years have taught us all that havinga few backup plans is always good.  Might be worth double checkingif there are alternative cruise ship heading in the general direction if you really can't fly. 

Edited by lissie

1 minute ago, lissie said:

If anything the last few years have taughts us all that havinga few backup plans is always good. 

True, although I didn't really have a backup plan for this! If our crossing is cancelled, at least we ought to have enough time to grab a flight. (On Coronation day.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lissie said:

If anything the last few years have taught us all that havinga few backup plans is always good.  Might be worth double checkingif there are alternative cruise ship heading in the general direction if you really can't fly. 

Yeah, we had backups for everything except the failure of QM2.  I don't think there is an alternative ship going from NY-Southampton.  Oh for the days of multiple ocean liners!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, esrs said:

Yeah, we had backups for everything except the failure of QM2.  I don't think there is an alternative ship going from NY-Southampton.  Oh for the days of multiple ocean liners!

Actually, rather unbelievably I think I've found an option- I assume Bayonne NJ is near you?  (NBI'm not a TA - just checked one of my cruise search sites out of curiosity - not Cunard - but probably cheaper than flying at this stage 

2023-04-23 22_49_53-https___www.vacationstogo.com_fastdeal.cfm_deal=20543 and 4 more pages - Persona.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, esrs said:

Yes there are - see above - it must be repositioning season 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lissie said:

Yes there are - see above - it must be repositioning season 

Ooh, thanks for that.  I don't think my husband will go transatlantic in anything but the QM2 but I appreciate seeing the option.  I might just get him on a first class flight and doing the research now. Many factors to consider including weeks of cars and hotel bookings in the UK but will have all the possibilities on hand.  Thank you.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, esrs said:

Ooh, thanks for that.  I don't think my husband will go transatlantic in anything but the QM2 but I appreciate seeing the option.  I might just get him on a first class flight and doing the research now. Many factors to consider including weeks of cars and hotel bookings in the UK but will have all the possibilities on hand.  Thank you.

Best of luck! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1