Parking at Bklyn cruise terminal

RoePost

Anyone have experience parking at Bklyn cruise terminal.   I understand there is limited space.   I hear only 860 parking spaces ?  this seems like a problem if the ship is close to full. I understand fee is $45 a day .,,not concerned with price only amount of available parking space.  Thank you.   

29 minutes ago, RoePost said:

Anyone have experience parking at Bklyn cruise terminal.   I understand there is limited space.   I hear only 860 parking spaces ?  this seems like a problem if the ship is close to full. I understand fee is $45 a day .,,not concerned with price only amount of available parking space.  Thank you.   

I wouldn't think that is too few spaces. The vast majority of passengers aren't going to drive to the terminal. They will mostly use taxis, Ubers, Lyfts, car services, airport transfers, and the ferry. I am on the current sailing and I took a Lyft yesterday, but I did talk to a woman from PA last night who drove. She arrived fairly late because she has accidentally gone to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal first, but he said the parking at the Brooklyn terminal was easier than she expected.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I wouldn't think that is too few spaces. The vast majority of passengers aren't going to drive to the terminal. They will mostly use taxis, Ubers, Lyfts, car services, airport transfers, and the ferry. I am on the current sailing and I took a Lyft yesterday, but I did talk to a woman from PA last night who drove. She arrived fairly late because she has accidentally gone to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal first, but he said the parking at the Brooklyn terminal was easier than she expected.

Thank you for your reply.  I'm wondering how many passengers are on your sailing.  As the summer goes on the ship will be almost capacity.... There are many people from LONG ISLAND, BROOKLYN, AND QUEENS that are planning on driving, therefore, my concern.  

2 minutes ago, RoePost said:

Thank you for your reply.  I'm wondering how many passengers are on your sailing.  As the summer goes on the ship will be almost capacity.... There are many people from LONG ISLAND, BROOKLYN, AND QUEENS that are planning on driving, therefore, my concern.  

Not sure how it works out monetarily for people who are "local" to park vs. taking taxis, ride shares, or public transportation. This cruise is not quite at max capacity. The best answer I've gotten so far is around 5000. We were somewhere between 3800 and 4400 on the last sailing from what I could tell from my conversations with crew. I believe max capacity is 5700 or something like that, but I assume a fair number of those would be children, who probably aren't driving themselves and paying to park.

So far, this sailing is the first out of Brooklyn for MSC so it's the only one we can judge on right now. Might have to wait a few more sailings to get a real assessment of what the average parking situation is.

2 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

Parking $315.00 for 7 day cruise. Many folks from LONG ISLAND, BROOKLYN, AND QUEENS will find it cheaper and easier to simply take a car service or UBER to the pier.

We managed to get a family member drive us for our May sailing. Uber, Taxi and other public doesn't cut it coming from Ocean County area of NJ. So we had a choice to get a family member to drive us or suck it up and pay the parking. I figure a couple cartons of smokes, pay tolls & gas, we're still ahead of the game.

Coming from Connecticut there is no better option for us than to drive to the port.  I wonder what would happen if we arrived and the parking lot is full.  We'd just get turned away?  And go where?  We have a 1:30 boarding time with the ship departing at 3:00. This is giving me anxiety!

4 hours ago, bones774 said:

Slightly off topic, those of you who used public transport, where did you find the nearest drop off point. It looks as though all PT drops off a few blocks away??? 

The closest public transportation is the Ferry. There is a ferry stop very close to where the ship docks.

Edited by JamieLogical

36 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The closest public transportation is the Ferry. There is a ferry stop very close to where the ship docks.

Okay , I'll look into that. I'm coming from Queens, so I don't know where or if I can get it.

Thanks

This is why I think the risk of running out of parking is low. Capacity of the ship is 5700. Assuming double occupancy, that's 2850 couples coming to the terminal. MANY of those will fly in and take some form of ground transport to the terminal. Many people are "local", will do the math, and figure out it's cheaper to take a car service, rideshare, taxi, etc. So the only people who will be parking are those that live further out, but not so far out as to be flying. I don't think that population is more than 1/3 of the passengers.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

We live on Long Island and car service is less expensive than parking at the cruise terminal, but not by much. We live around 60 miles away.  We decided to drive around 40 miles and park at a family members house and they will drive us and pick us up. 

14 hours ago, Qazzy said:

Coming from Connecticut there is no better option for us than to drive to the port.  I wonder what would happen if we arrived and the parking lot is full.  We'd just get turned away?  And go where?  We have a 1:30 boarding time with the ship departing at 3:00. This is giving me anxiety!

Anecdotal data seems like they are fairly lenient in letting people check in early.  You have a very good reason to!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Qazzy said:

Don't cut it that close, especially if you have to park!  

I don't understand how they can give us a 1:30 boarding time with the ship departing at 3:00.  I thought all passengers had to be checked in to a cruise 2 hours before departure for reasons having to do with customs? Last week I asked my travel agent to have it changed, but have not heard any more about it since then. I guess we will just have to arrive earlier and be those people that can't follow instructions.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 11:12 AM, NYcruzzer said:

Parking $315.00 for 7 day cruise. Many folks from LONG ISLAND, BROOKLYN, AND QUEENS will find it cheaper and easier to simply take a car service or UBER to the pier.

I heard somewhere that the 7 day is really considered an 8 day and you are charged $45 a day for 8 days, can anyone confirm?

On 4/23/2023 at 9:38 AM, JamieLogical said:

How much was the Lyft? And where from? We are planning on staying at a hotel in Staten Island, leaving the car there (free parking) and then Uber or Lyft.

1 hour ago, delynn72 said:

How much was the Lyft? And where from? We are planning on staying at a hotel in Staten Island, leaving the car there (free parking) and then Uber or Lyft.

My Lyft from Williamsburg to the cruise terminal was $23.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 6:07 PM, delynn72 said:

Most of Staten Island does not have alternate side-of-the-street parking that the rest of the City has so  you can street park.  Don't forget the toll for the Verrazano when taking Lyft and this past weekend you had the storm so there was surge pricing in effect with rates over $100 for trips as long as yours. 

On 5/1/2023 at 9:25 AM, Brighton Line said:

Most of Staten Island does not have alternate side-of-the-street parking that the rest of the City has so  you can street park.  Don't forget the toll for the Verrazano when taking Lyft and this past weekend you had the storm so there was surge pricing in effect with rates over $100 for trips as long as yours. 

The hotel said we can leave the car there, so even at $100 each way it's cheaper than the parking at the pier. Hopefully will be even less than that. 

On 4/23/2023 at 4:33 PM, Qazzy said:

Qazzy, when is your cruise? We, too, are coming from CT for a cruise in October. I'd be interested in hearing what your experience is with the parking.