Rotterdam vs Eurodam

jimmy2x

So, I’m having a bit of a difficult day trying to decide whether to choose the Rotterdam or the Eurodam for a 21 day cruise next winter. I tell to lean more towards the Rotterdam have been on her for for the 21 day B to B two years in a row and we really enjoy the ship. However the 21 day cruise on the Eurodam has a more appealing itinerary (at least to me ). Any advice would be appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, jimmy2x said:

So, I’m having a bit of a difficult day trying to decide whether to choose the Rotterdam or the Eurodam for a 21 day cruise next winter. I tell to lean more towards the Rotterdam have been on her for for the 21 day B to B two years in a row and we really enjoy the ship. However the 21 day cruise on the Eurodam has a more appealing itinerary (at least to me ). Any advice would be appreciated. 

If you like the itinerary better on the Eurodam and price is equal I would go with Eurodam. Basically because Unless you are booking a Neptune Suite I feel all the other staterooms on the Rotterdam are sub par to the Vista and Signature Class staterooms. For me it would boil down to having a cabin with a bit more room if I am on the ship 21 days. I personally prefer Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

• Like 4

I always go with the smaller ships, when itineraries are equal. In this case you get the smaller ship, plus the better itinerary - so  that would be the Eurodam.

How important are the few things you will give up on the Rotterdam?

A three week cruise causes different considerations for me, than a shorter one -  the day to day routine satisfactions that come from a smaller ship, with the higher small space comforts onboard become more important, than any temporary novelties a larger ship may offer.

• Like 1

I was on the Rotterdam the past two October transatlantics and was on the Eurodam in March. Except for the Eurodam’s deck 2 being as cold as a meat locker either would be fine with me so it would come down to the itinerary.

So my advice is you need to do what you feel will make you happy for three weeks.

Edited by Reagan0712
Sp.

We usually book for itinerary, ship is secondary with HAL. While we prefer smaller ships (Eurodam is a fav), we've sailed all classes so understand what each offers and can enjoy any of them. Smaller ships have larger promenade decks and deck chairs, less people usually means you'll see passengers more often, crew is less stressed and its more relaxed sailing. Pinnacle ships have more band venues and bars (although can be repetitive). Dutch Cafe is a treat, movies by the pool, cabins are smaller. Neither have had great shows on World Stage post shutdown but if the cruise is truly a 21 day and not b2b, HAL may step up. 

What is important onboard to YOU? 

• Like 1

The Rotterdam has the extra music venue, World Stage with LED versus the normal show room, Dutch Cafe, Rudi Sel de Mer and separate Club orange dining room.   The Eurodam has a full walk around deck with deck chairs.  Both are great ships.

Eurodam. The ship is smaller, while the cabins (in a comparable category) are larger. It has a real promenade, where you can sit outside and commune with the sea in peace and quiet. Most important of all, it has the itinerary you prefer. 
The ship still has plenty of entertainment venues at night, and several excellent restaurants. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmy2x said:

It sounds like we are in the same situation, the Eurodam itineraries are far more interesting to us than the Rotterdam itineraries in February 2025.  However the Rotterdam is a much better fit for us and we just want to escape the winters in the Midwest so it really doesn't matter where we go.  So you'll find us on the Rotterdam in 2025.

3 hours ago, jimmy2x said:

For us its always Itinerary over ship. We cruise to see new and interesting places. The ship is simply our travelling hotel and restaurant  to get us those places. Secondary consideration is ship size. For us smaller is better, which is why we bemoan the lose of the Prinsendam many years ago. Both a small ship and great itineraries. 

Edited by drowelf
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, jimmy2x said:

All of you have given me much to think about. I truly appreciate it 

Beyond the entertainment and dining venues, assuming you are not in a suite, do you prefer a tub/shower (Eurodam) or a large shower stall (Rotterdam)?  Do you like to relax outside on the promenade listening to the sea go by?  The Eurodam's wide promenade with classic wood loungers is better in that respect than the Rotterdam's relatively narrow promenade with no loungers.  The view is also better from the Eurodam's promenade due to being below the lifeboats versus being partially obstructed on the Rotterdam.