Lowest Fare in Category now Guarantee only!

Yehootu

Awhile back in a posting someone posted that they were unable to book a Cat ME mini suite. On the Grand and the Crown class ships these cabins are the ones far aft on the Emerald Deck, and the ones full forward on the Dolphin deck. There are only 6 on each side of the ship on the Emerald. They are very desirable as they are fully covered and the back 2 have extended balconies. We love these cabins and have sailed in them numerous times. We just returned from a 28day sailing on the Crown in one of them. We also have one booked on the Carib Princess for the summer of 2024 in Europe. Why have they gone to this pricing? I just got off the phone with a not so helpful PVP, and she assured me that the cat ME is guar only. Anyone have an email or # to call to try and see if there is anyway to book one of these cabins, or at least find out why they have gone to this model. We might just have to switch companies for our cruise in Aus/NZ as we don't want an uncovered mini in the heat.

Mahalo, just a bit frustrated. 

• Like 1

If that is true - that would not be good. Those are my favorite cabins also.

In February - I could book the cabin but it was nonrefundable deposit as it was the lowest minisuite - even though I was using a refundable deposit rate code.  If it is guarantee only (like the other lead in categories) - I will be upset also!

I just checked pricing in 2024 on multiple Grand Class ships on sailings I thought would be quiet (early May Alaska, etc...) and they are all guarantee only. UGHH! Princess stop mucking things up!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

If that is true - that would not be good. Those are my favorite cabins also.

In February - I could book the cabin but it was nonrefundable deposit as it was the lowest minisuite - even though I was using a refundable deposit rate code.  If it is guarantee only (like the other lead in categories) - I will be upset also!

I just checked pricing in 2024 on multiple Grand Class ships on sailings I thought would be quiet (early May Alaska, etc...) and they are all guarantee only. UGHH! Princess stop mucking things up!

I just ran a few dummy bookings to find the same thing. Lead in was what my TA told me . I was worried when club class camei that they'd take those rooms. Guess they're not as desirable as we think. Of to look at Holland and Celebrity offerings.

Yes, I deduced that earlier this month and others did as well on a thread that disappeared.  That was one where folks were debating that it was now a buy up if you choose your own cabin but what was underlying that is that the cabins you could select started in the second lowest category.  Pretty much every cruise I looked at offered guarantees only for the lowest category cabin for interior through mini suite.  So it definitely seems intentional, I just don't know why they would do that.

9 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Yes, I deduced that earlier this month and others did as well on a thread that disappeared.  That was one where folks were debating that it was now a buy up if you choose your own cabin but what was underlying that is that the cabins you could select started in the second lowest category.  Pretty much every cruise I looked at offered guarantees only for the lowest category cabin for interior through mini suite.  So it definitely seems intentional, I just don't know why they would do that.

I played around with this in Dec - February and ME was the only lead in category that you could choose a cabin but it was non-refundable. Guess that changed.

IMO - those ME cabins are the best. I would pick those over mid-ship mini suites any day. I have one for 11 nights in May.

Maybe this makes sense on Royal class to make them guarantees (I don't know those ships as well) but not on Grand Class ships. These cabins are the bomb! Very desirable.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

This is so sad. We love the ME mini-suites on the older ships, especially the far aft ones. 

I just looked at a bunch of sailings and every ME category is now guarantee, except those ships that have an MF category, which are the guarantee instead of ME. I did try entering an ME cabin number in a mock booking, but that was rejected.

Bummer!

• Like 1

Looking at the 24/25 Caribbean itineraries released last week it seems only about 20% of cabins can be booked as specific cabins all the rest are not booked but not available to book, assuming held as guarantees.

Neither of my preferred rooms on the Sun were available to book.

I sent an email to the customer relation address asking why. We’ll see what they say if they bother to answer.

If I can’t get my preferred room for my Pacifc Coastal later this week I won’t have much incentive to continue booking.

2 hours ago, marden1970 said:

@Yehootu Hi - me again - those are our favorite as well although for the South Pacific we splurged on a full suite. (50th anniversary).  We were in E733 so probably pretty close to you.

We were in E730, on the other side.

Edited by Yehootu
  • Like 1

When Princess seemed to be still updating the system, I could use a different Fare Code and get cabins to select, but not now.  I have read enough to know that the Aft Minis on Emerald deck of the pre-Royal Class ships are few in number and popular with guests.  I imagine a contact campaign is in order if you want to effect some change. 

Otherwise, a GTY ME with No Upgrade (if indeed they can set that flag in POLAR) is the only way to go.  That said, there can be some forward ME's on Dolphin and I am thinking those same fans of aft on Emerald would not want the Dolphins.  As far as the Non-Ref Deposit goes, there may be other eligible Fare Codes that have Ref Deposits and you could book one of them, depending on cost.  Even so, the ME Category is now going to allow GTY only, but at least the deposit can be saved. 

5 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Anyone know what time today the Panama Canal cruises comeout for booking?

8am PT for Elite’s.  Tmrw for everyone else.

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

When Princess seemed to be still updating the system, I could use a different Fare Code and get cabins to select, but not now.  I have read enough to know that the Aft Minis on Emerald deck of the pre-Royal Class ships are few in number and popular with guests.  I imagine a contact campaign is in order if you want to effect some change. 

Otherwise, a GTY ME with No Upgrade (if indeed they can set that flag in POLAR) is the only way to go.  That said, there can be some forward ME's on Dolphin and I am thinking those same fans of aft on Emerald would not want the Dolphins.  As far as the Non-Ref Deposit goes, there may be other eligible Fare Codes that have Ref Deposits and you could book one of them, depending on cost.  Even so, the ME Category is now going to allow GTY only, but at least the deposit can be saved. 

They’ll make a lot of money off of non ref deposits, when people cancel. Gives them a lot more control over the cabins too.  Disappointing.

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

As far as the Non-Ref Deposit goes, there may be other eligible Fare Codes that have Ref Deposits and you could book one of them, depending on cost.  Even so, the ME Category is now going to allow GTY only, but at least the deposit can be saved. 

Every refundable rate code showed up non-refundable for me when trying to book a ME earlier this year. Believe me I tried. I only switched to a ME when final payment happened.

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

Every refundable rate code showed up non-refundable for me when trying to book a ME earlier this year. Believe me I tried. I only switched to a ME when final payment happened.

You think this is an error or intentional?

25 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

You think this is an error or intentional?

Both. Intentional as they wanted all lead in categories to be non-refundable deposits. At the time, all lead in categories were guarantee but ME. I guess this was an error and this part has been changed by Princess. Now all lead in categories including ME are now guarantees.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Coral said:

Both. Intentional as they wanted all lead in categories to be non-refundable deposits. At the time, all lead in categories were guarantee but ME. I guess this was an error and this part has been changed by Princess. Now all lead in categories including ME are now guarantees.

Where does it say nonrefundable?  I am not seeing it, but we are picking our own room number.  Does that make a difference?  Want to make sure I don't get stuck with having to pay deposits in case we cancel.

22 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Where does it say nonrefundable?  I am not seeing it, but we are picking our own room number.  Does that make a difference?  Want to make sure I don't get stuck with having to pay deposits in case we cancel.

Go all way through to select your cabin:

You will see the prices Princess selects the cabin….

Right above that it says deposit is non refundable…

You choose your stateroom

Right above that it says deposit fully refundable.

Here’s an example.

image.thumb.png.edb9a08136929e7b95024e9996d159bc.png

54 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Go all way through to select your cabin:

You will see the prices Princess selects the cabin….

Right above that it says deposit is non refundable…

You choose your stateroom

Right above that it says deposit fully refundable.

Here’s an example.

image.thumb.png.edb9a08136929e7b95024e9996d159bc.png

Thank you.  So, with me choosing the room, it is refundable, Daaaaahhh why I didn't see nonrefundable.  Thanks for the visual!  You know I am blond.  By the way you know so much about all Princess.  Appreciate you sharing your knowledge and expertise to help others.  What a gift. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Coral said:

I played around with this in Dec - February and ME was the only lead in category that you could choose a cabin but it was non-refundable. Guess that changed.

IMO - those ME cabins are the best. I would pick those over mid-ship mini suites any day. I have one for 11 nights in May.

Maybe this makes sense on Royal class to make them guarantees (I don't know those ships as well) but not on Grand Class ships. These cabins are the bomb! Very desirable.

I just did a dummy bid while looking at 2025 Panama canal sailings and guess what? I was able to book and chose a cabin in the ME Cat on the Emerald Princess, but still wasn't able to book one on the Crown in same time frame. Nothing is standard with Princess these days.

Edited by Yehootu
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

I just did a dummy bid while looking at 2025 Panama canal sailings and guess what? I was able to book and chose a cabin in the ME Cat on the Emerald Princess, but still wasn't able to book one on the Crown in same time frame. Nothing is standard with Princess these days.

They won't let you do B2Bs, price not available did you notice that

Currently on Regal. Talked with the on board future cruise staff (now 5 on Regal, was on same on a recent Discovery cruise). They confirm the lowest cabin in each meta category is nonrefundable, guarantee only. The head of the department says that he argued against the change, but it is now policy. They cannot get around it either. Though he did indicate that he is trying in a couple of cases.

4 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Currently on Regal. Talked with the on board future cruise staff (now 5 on Regal, was on same on a recent Discovery cruise). They confirm the lowest cabin in each meta category is nonrefundable, guarantee only. The head of the department says that he argued against the change, but it is now policy. They cannot get around it either. Though he did indicate that he is trying in a couple of cases.

The reasoning?  More possible revenue and more control?  TIA

• Like 1