Just Curious. How Many Times........

Ret MP

On 4/25/2023 at 10:56 PM, tunafish said:

The location of CC is the problem - it is cold most of the winter and early spring. The pool is not heated and the beach is manmade leaving those nasty sharp pebbles of limestone you constantly step on. also entire area is guarded by those guys on jetskis that are pretty much "snorkel ***"

Cold is relative. We’ve been here 4 times since December, and it’s warm to hot to us. And the cool water feels really good when it’s in the 80’s.  It’s why winter is our cruising season. 

Hotter than 85 would be pretty miserable. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Us Florida residents visit CocoCay in the summer when it's 85 there to cool off! 🤣

That said, we were there in October when it was 81 and beautiful. I stay in the shade regardless but when it's especially hot there we constantly hop in the pool just to sit on the underwater bench and cool off before returning to our loungers. It helps a lot.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Cold is relative. We’ve been here 4 times since December, and it’s warm to hot to us. And the cool water feels really good when it’s in the 80’s.  It’s why winter is our cruising season. 

We're from N.S. and our version of cold is a little different than many on here.

That being said , we left out of Port Canaveral on Wonder this Feb. and the first couple days did not quite meet our low standard of warm for our escape the winter cruise. Still better than where we left from obviously. Also our CocoCay stop was cancelled due to wind which surprised me a bit knowing the technology the Captains have at their disposal to maneuver these Mega ships. Bottom line I guess each captain has their own decision to make in such situations . I did feel bad for the young ones who just got to look at the towering waterslide from a distance as we coasted back and forth for several hours before making the nogo official 

On 4/25/2023 at 10:54 AM, A&L_Ont said:

Part of RC business plan is to get as much of the guest money as possible. Private islands are a great way of doing it.  

Another way in their business model is new private Beach Clubs in Nassau and Antigua. Antigua’s was announced prior to Covid so I’m not sure where that stands to date and I didn’t find anything current on-line. Nassau is to open in 2025, according to a blog. 

Something was planned for Freeport as well

On 4/24/2023 at 7:53 PM, homedepot124 said:

We have been to CocoCay at least a dozen times and never tire of it.  Great pool, always able to find a chair with shade or an umbrella, and good food at the grills and snack shacks.  It really is a perfect day as far as we are concerned. 

I haven't been a dozen times, but I will never tire of beach days.  Coco Cay is a great stop for multiple reasons: 

- It's just easy.  Walk off the ship, and a perfect beach day is laid out in front of you. 

- It doesn't have to cost a single extra penny. 

- They offer a variety of beaches for people who want quiet or people who want something more rowdy.  

- If one member of your party wants to go back early, it's easy.  

On 4/24/2023 at 8:19 PM, OCSC Mike said:

... Coco Cay feels like an extension of the ship to us ... 

I hadn't thought of it that way, but -- yes.  

On 4/24/2023 at 8:42 PM, BirdTravels said:

Since we sail multiple times a year, we mostly just go to the beach when in port (or stay on the ship). For us, CocoCay is a free beach day which is a bonus. No additional cost for loungers, umbrellas, food, drinks. Bonus!

Yes, this!  

On 4/24/2023 at 8:55 PM, NJoynCruisin said:

I think I'm just getting older.  Haven't been there and don't really want to go.  We like quiet, relaxing places.  Prefer staying on the ship.  We usually cruise when schools are in session.  Yes, we've passed that line.  Let the families enjoy.  Been there, done that too.

Coco Cay has quiet, relaxing places.  

On 4/25/2023 at 5:14 PM, deliver42 said:

Yes they are. It will be called Hideaway Bay.

What we don't know -- or, what I don't know -- is whether this will be a for-cost beach or not.  

On 4/28/2023 at 4:19 PM, alfaeric said:

I was talking more about water temperature. The pool there is not heated, so there is no escape. While the 72-74 water is swimmable it is not pleasant by any stretch of imagination, I know it is as good as it gets for NJ or CA, but still. Add wind to the equation... but what do I know, I live in Florida

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

I was talking more about water temperature. The pool there is not heated, so there is no escape. While the 72-74 water is swimmable it is not pleasant by any stretch of imagination, I know it is as good as it gets for NJ or CA, but still. Add wind to the equation... but what do I know, I live in Florida

So am I.  Swimming in the Great Lakes in the summer is considerably colder than 70. but we love it anyway.  80's during the day to warm up, and whatever the water temp is works great.

Still, if you don't like it, you can always choose a cruise that goes someplace else.  It's certainly not going to move anytime soon.

15 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

but from what I have read about Freeport there is not a whole lot to do. 

Probably exactly how RCI likes it. No reason for people to leave their money grab... I mean beautiful resort.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Those 6 are in future.  Coco Cay will never be a regular stop from Galveston---it's just too far.

Looks pretty regular to me, for an 8-night cruise.  Which is the only 8-night cruise out of Galveston, unless I missed something.  Harmony is the only ship going to CC as of the current scheduling out of Galveston when she gets there.  And what time frame are you referencing when you say "6 out of hundreds" out of Galveston? How many decades are you looking at?  

image.thumb.png.a02504f9853f9d918e6ac6654d12c991.png

13 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

How many decades are you looking at?  

None?  267 sailings out of Galveston currently available for the next 2ish years.

So maybe it's NOT "ALMOST every [emphasis mine] embarkation from ... the future, Galveston is making a stop at CoCoCay."

Edited by jwlane

11 minutes ago, jwlane said:

None?  267 sailings out of Galveston currently available for the next 2ish years.

So maybe it's NOT "ALMOST every [emphasis mine] embarkation from ... the future, Galveston is making a stop at CoCoCay."

Okay, I'm not going to get into a 7 page debate with you about this.  I could say that the FUTURE isn't even scheduled, yet.  And that, even in this board, it has been established that these private islands, but we are talking about RCCL here, are trending towards the future and CC is expanding, I'm assuming for future crowds.  And I could get into the giggle weeds about so many other things.  But, I'm not because I have an agenda with this thread that I want to get to AND I don't want it locked down.  See ya.