Alaska Jackets are back?

robertmartha

" The fact that he could go around our farm on an open John Deere Gator with the SB Alaska jacket and be comfortable attests to the warmth of the jacket.   "

Ah ... memories 🙂

Once took a ship load - literally-  of JD Tractors from Norway to the east coast USA .. in January ... absolutely vile weather... it looked as if a child had scribbled on a piece of paper and called it an isobaric chart 🤪

• Haha 3

Just received the email with the link to order the SB Alaska Jacket. The email says "all-weather" jacket, and the order page says "SB Alaska Rain Jacket". A rain jacket doesn't sound like it is very warm. I would appreaciate hearing any comments from passengers on the May 11 Alaska cruise as to whether the jacket is warm enough. 

We sailed on Odyssey's Inside Passage & Alaska Fjords cruise last August. We received jackets w/hoods - blue with orange trim. They are much like a parka shell - no puffy inside jacket. It rained almost every day on this cruise and these jackets served us quite well. Adjust your inner layers based on the temperatures you encounter and your activity level. Our jackets have a soft, inner lining. But they are no arctic parka.

Folks we met on-shore would ask us where they could get these jackets....

4 hours ago, PolarDrifter said:

We sailed on Odyssey's Inside Passage & Alaska Fjords cruise last August. We received jackets w/hoods - blue with orange trim. They are much like a parka shell - no puffy inside jacket. It rained almost every day on this cruise and these jackets served us quite well. Adjust your inner layers based on the temperatures you encounter and your activity level. Our jackets have a soft, inner lining. But they are no arctic parka.

Folks we met on-shore would ask us where they could get these jackets....

Thanks for replying. I have seen the blue Alaska jacket and the orange Antarctica jacket on a previous cruise. The blue jacket looked just right for Alaska, and the orange jacket looked too warm. However, I would not call the blue jacket a "rain jacket". The color of the jacket as shown on the ordering site is now black in color. I wonder whether SB has changed the type of complimentary jacket they are providing for Alaska. How warm it is may influence what I have to pack.

This Alaska cruise on Odyssey departing May 11 feels sold out. We are first time Seabourn. We are instructed to pick up our Alaska Jackets at 8 Am tomorrow morning. Color unknown.  And oh by the way, the "how to dress" thread is locked. I can tell you that tonight in the MDR, I saw 4 guys with T shirts on. One in Levi's blue jeans but with a jacket. I took pictures since I know there is a lot of angst about dressing for Seabourn still. So embarkation day in the MDR, T shirts were not kicked out. Data point. Also tons of guys in a Tommy  Bahama shirt, not tucked in, with a variety of pants. The only "formal night" is tomorrow night. This cruise appears to be heavy repeat Seabourn customers. 

Edited by 2ws
cleaned up

2ws and jgd3rdbcfd

Would be AMAZING if you start a new thread about your sailing if either of you have time to post!

We are on the 5/19 sailing and so eager to hear how your sailing goes and your experiences.

thanks in advance

Bob from NY

• Like 1

@2ws and jgd3rdbcfd, thanks for the picture of and the comments about the jacket. It looks exactly like the ones I saw in my previous Greenland trip. It should be warm enough for an Alaska cruise in June.

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing Seabourn had a stock of blue jackets remaining from last year, and is using those up on the early season cruises, to be replaced by the new black jackets (of unknown weight/warmth) soon. I understand folks on the May Alaska cruises saw a blue jacket in unisex sizing on their order form. I'm sailing the 9/1 cruise and my order form shows black jackets in gender-specific sizes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Earthtones said:

I'm guessing Seabourn had a stock of blue jackets remaining from last year, and is using those up on the early season cruises, to be replaced by the new black jackets (of unknown weight/warmth) soon. I understand folks on the May Alaska cruises saw a blue jacket in unisex sizing on their order form. I'm sailing the 9/1 cruise and my order form shows black jackets in gender-specific sizes.

The suspense continues.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, TX Flower Girl said:

I only see unisex sizes for the June 2 sailing. Maybe I ordered too soon? I would definitely benefit from a ladies size, at 5’1”. 

Just ordered for a later voyage and the choice wasn’t unisex…

14 hours ago, TX Flower Girl said:

I only see unisex sizes for the June 2 sailing. Maybe I ordered too soon? I would definitely benefit from a ladies size, at 5’1”. 

Based on my experience in Alaska and in Antarctica you can exchange sizes once onboard.

• Like 3

Even if you request a specific size, quite often the jackets you are provided are the wrong size; this has been mentioned on previous threads on this board.  However, it's a simple matter to exchange your jacket for one of the correct size.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, kahuna21 said:

We contacted Seabourn today. They said that the jacket for our June 30 departure will be black. 

Did you get emailed a link ahead of time to order?  We're on Odyssey towards the end of the Alaska season, and any feedback on the jacket would be appreciated.  Hope you have a great voyage!

2 hours ago, johng75370 said:

Did you get emailed a link ahead of time to order?  We're on Odyssey towards the end of the Alaska season, and any feedback on the jacket would be appreciated.  Hope you have a great voyage!

Yes, we got a link to order 50 days before the cruise. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CalmSea said:

Just boarded the Odessey and received the jacket. They are black Explorer Jackets made by Storm Creek. Men's is model 8520 and lady's is model 8525.

Thanks Calm Sea We checked the Storm Creek website. They show model 6520 and 6525. Maybe the 8 series jackets you got are the same as those on the website, except with a Seabourn logo. They appear to be pretty lightweight, right?

The jackets are very light. Certainly not as warm as the previous blue ones. However they are very good at keeping your body warmth. Probably good enough for summer Alaska weather, with some additional layering as required.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kahuna21 said:

Thanks Calm Sea We checked the Storm Creek website. They show model 6520 and 6525. Maybe the 8 series jackets you got are the same as those on the website, except with a Seabourn logo. They appear to be pretty lightweight, right?

Sorry. The "8" is a typo. It should be a "6". They look the same as those on Storm Creek's website, but with the Seabourn name and logo added in the front and the word Alaska added on the sleeve.

• Like 1