Refund for double charging on speciality dining

jack dcruiser

We have the premier package and after reserving our dining reservation in advance, my credit ca5d was still charged. After receiving the runaround from Princess, I am being told different ways to get the refund. All entail wasting my time on ship requesting the refund, including asking for the restaurant mgr, even though I dont know which reservation it is for and/or going to guest services. Was given 2 numbers to call one was a medical device sales call, not princess the other for my planner, which I dont have one. Anyone else experience this?

I too have this issue with the app. However, I did not book any specialty restaurant reservations because I saw that they were going to bill my credit for the charge. The same is true for the medallion shipping charge. We purchased the premier package when booking and it's confirmed in the Princess  travel summary but the app does not appear to be aware of this. We have 2 dining credits and free medallion shipping. among other things with the package, but when I go to the "Packages" section, it tells me that I have none purchased. 

For the past few days, when I try to "book" specialty dining, I get a pop up message that says there are no reservations available. I find it very hard to believe since our cruise is in December. We are CC Elite and can book these anytime.

I called the medallion help desk who had the same issues when they went to book items manually for me. Supposedly they were going to escalate the issue to IT but that was 3 weeks ago. I have logged out of the app and logged back in. I have even deleted and reinstalled the app. Nothing. 

I called my T/A who said that several people are having issues and Princess has told him that they are aware of these issues and the "glitches" are being worked on. They told him that his clients could go ahead and book what they want and then visit guest services onboard to request a refund. I don;t think so.

I have sailed on 2 medallion cruises in the past year and have had no issues. This is really annoying because there is no other way other than the app to book these things. I just hope it gets straightened out well before my cruise as I don't want to have to spend my vacation time arguing with guest services about these problems which are the company's doing not mine.

• Like 2

I had to call Princess to make my initial specialty restaurants as part of the Premier package and was told they were part of my package.

I couldn't book on line, I kept getting 'thrown out' even though it was showing I had two meal credits.

A few days ago I checked my credit card statement and it showed I had been charged.

I contacted Princess to be told I could either cancel the bookings and get a refund on my card or when on board go to Customer Services and get a cash refund.

I am UK based but the refund would be in dollars.

Neither option is ideal to me.

• Like 1

We’ve been double charged a few times and whether I’ve booked online with my credits from the premier package or booked online and paid for it with my credit card.  

I now try to remember to tell them up front when we show up for our reservation that it has already been paid for.  I forgot this last time and was charged for our dinners that were covered under the premier package.  I called guest services and the charges were I immediately reversed.  

I made the reservation using the medallion, shows at the top on the medallion under the reservationI have dining credits so why was my credit card still charged. I don't care if they put the credit on my account, but why do I have to take the time on my vacation to go to guest services or speak to the restaurant mgr. That is why I did alive chat and then called 2 times.

On our April 1-8 cruise my BIL made a reservation for 4 for us (our bookings are linked) and he paid for the reservations on his credit card.  We paid him and and we thought all was well.  We went to the Crown Grill and the next morning a charge showed up for 2 CG on our Folio.  I asked my BIL if they were charged and he checked and they were not.  He and I then went to Guest Services where he showed them where he had prepaid for 4.  It took about 20 minutes, but we got it removed while we stood there!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 8:11 AM, jack dcruiser said:

We have the premier package and after reserving our dining reservation in advance, my credit ca5d was still charged. After receiving the runaround from Princess, I am being told different ways to get the refund. All entail wasting my time on ship requesting the refund, including asking for the restaurant mgr, even though I dont know which reservation it is for and/or going to guest services. Was given 2 numbers to call one was a medical device sales call, not princess the other for my planner, which I dont have one. Anyone else experience this?

Where do you make your specialty restaurant reservation before you depart? It used to be so easy but now I don’t see the link for a reservation. Appreciate your response, thanks. 

3 hours ago, claudia814 said:

Where do you make your specialty restaurant reservation before you depart? It used to be so easy but now I don’t see the link for a reservation. Appreciate your response, thanks. 

Use the "web version" instead of the app. Much easier to see what you're doing.  And as @Steelers36 states...it's under the DineMyWay section.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jack dcruiser said:

I was never given that option.

When you select the SD and time you want it shows the cost and if your dining credit is recognized it also shows a credit with a balance of zero.  If the credit did not zero out and still shows a balance due then you should not proceed because your credit card will be charged.  This is a glitch in the app that the free dining is sometimes not recognized and applied.  If you don’t want the hassle of having it reversed at guest services then don’t book until on board.

13 hours ago, t&atravel said:

When you select the SD and time you want it shows the cost and if your dining credit is recognized it also shows a credit with a balance of zero.  If the credit did not zero out and still shows a balance due then you should not proceed because your credit card will be charged.  This is a glitch in the app that the free dining is sometimes not recognized and applied.  If you don’t want the hassle of having it reversed at guest services then don’t book until on board.

Definitely a glitch, showed dining credit when I did it and shows even now dining credit used. Usually. I wait till we are on board to make our reservations. In the future will do that way again.

First time cruiser with Princess, so be kind! We too have been charged for our Speciality dining despite it being included in our fare. Ours was booked by phone, as the crappy app wouldn't let me book it despite telling me I had dining credits. On the phone, I was assured that I wouldn’t be charged. I was. I resent having to spend precious time on board sorting this out, and , as a UK resident, also potentially out of pocket depending on the exchange rate. I was also told that we would get the refund as OBC… now that is against the law in the UK unless I specifically agree to it…I wont. We sail this coming Saturday,  on Sky Princess, and have also been stitched up as Bistro sur la Mer , which we booked, is no longer. As we particularly want try the new Rudi’s Catch, we managed to book it via the App, and were again told we had a credit. Needless to say we have been charged, and now find we also have had , 2 days later, our previous booking moved to Sabatinis…so we have 2 dining bookings for the same night…all charged for …and the App wont let us cancel! Its a dogs breakfast and has not endeared me to booking with Princess again at the moment! I will report back what happens if you would like me too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Mysticalmother said:

First time cruiser with Princess, so be kind! We too have been charged for our Speciality dining despite it being included in our fare. Ours was booked by phone, as the crappy app wouldn't let me book it despite telling me I had dining credits. On the phone, I was assured that I wouldn’t be charged. I was. I resent having to spend precious time on board sorting this out, and , as a UK resident, also potentially out of pocket depending on the exchange rate. I was also told that we would get the refund as OBC… now that is against the law in the UK unless I specifically agree to it…I wont. 

Mysticalmother, your situation is almost identical to mine. I had two dining credits, tried but was unable to book on the app so called Princess and booked, told no charge but then find two charges on my credit card.

I was told I could

1: Cancel the bookings and get a refund on my card and rebook on board. Not great as it would be unlikely I could get the same same bookings..

2: Keep the bookings go to Customer Services and they would refund me in cash...which of course would be $.

What use are $ on a UK based ship travelling to Norway!!!

I also have little confidence the desk will accept my word that I have been incorrectly charged. I do have a printed copy of my cc statement but, well, lets see.

Would you please keep us informed of what happens. I would well, good luck!

On 4/28/2023 at 4:11 PM, jack dcruiser said:

Will do - we go Saturday. It is illegal to do anything other than to refund to the original method of payment if made by card without the cardholders consent . Could be an interesting conversation! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

When we went to Guest Services, my BIL had his credit card charges on his phone.  They then credited me back what they had charged me.  It was in OBC, though.  

I assume it was refundable OBC?