Allowable chargers with EU adapters?

Hello! We will be on a Mediterranean cruise with Royal Caribbean, but spending about a week in Italy beforehand. So we need to get chargers with an EU adapter, but I want to make sure that anything I bring with me on the ship is allowable. Do I just need to make sure it doesn't have an extension cord? Would something like this work?

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 9.31.55 PM.png

It looks like it could. The problem could come if it has surge protection, which doesn’t work the same way on a ship as it does on land. The other thing to be aware of is if you have any appliances that are only 110v instead of dual voltage. Outlets that will fit that plug will be 220v. 

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

You will be able to use your US plugs on RCI. You won't need to use your adapter.

I think we’ll need something that charges multiple devices since we are traveling with so many thing that need charging, and since we’ll already have the EU ones due to spending time in Italy pre-cruise, I don’t want to ALSO bring our regular US ones.

6 hours ago, lisiamc said:

It looks like it could. The problem could come if it has surge protection, which doesn’t work the same way on a ship as it does on land. The other thing to be aware of is if you have any appliances that are only 110v instead of dual voltage. Outlets that will fit that plug will be 220v. 

I am likely missing something.  I thought the whole point of the EU adaptor would be for use with our 120V devices?  

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I am likely missing something.  I thought the whole point of the EU adaptor would be for use with our 120V devices?  

that device will allow you physically connect your US power cords to the 220v outlet. It won’t convert 220v to 110v (if your device requires that).

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ldubs said:

NO!!!!! As the PP pointed out, an adaptor only allows you to connect your US device to a European electrical outlet. It does not alter the voltage. To change the voltage from the 220-240 supply to the 110 capacity of a device, you need a CONVERTER. If you plug a 110 device into a 220 outlet you will fry your device and quite possibly cause damage to the outlet and wiring. 

Your electronic devices should be dual voltage, so they are safe to use abroad. Leave any single voltage 110 devices such as hair dryers or curling irons at home. Any drugstore will sell dual voltage travel appliances that you can  bring with you.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always bring my EU block adapter wherever I sail.  They always have one EU on the ship and with my adapter it can be a dedicated charging outlet.  Otherwise the plug sits there unused. 

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

There are adaptors and there are transformers. Adaptors only change the plug shape. Transformers change the voltage from 110 to 220, or vice versa. The device shown in the OP is an adaptor. transformers are generally (quite a bit) bulkier. Many devices (but not all!) can be used with both voltages. 

Edited by lisiamc
  • Thanks 1

All the USB chargers I've ever seen are dual voltage compatible (i.e. they work with 110 and with 220 V outlets) so you just need a plug adapter to get the right shape plug. 

Voltage can be an issue if you want to plug in appliances like curling irons or hair dryers. Most heat generating appliances are single voltage though there are some travel models that are dual voltage that either require you to set a switch correctly or that sense the voltage and adjust themselves. 

I prefer to bring a plug adapter and a separate charger because I want to have fast charge and the USB chargers built into the adapters usually aren't as capable. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077WJYNQ5

and 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09C5RG6KV

Edited by new_cruiser

2 hours ago, lisiamc said:

There are adaptors and there are transformers. Adaptors only change the plug shape. Transformers change the voltage from 110 to 220, or vice versa. The device shown in the OP is an adaptor. transformers are generally (quite a bit) bulkier. Many devices (but not all!) can be used with both voltages. 

By jove, I think I got it!  Thanks!  

9 hours ago, mom says said:

NO!!!!! As the PP pointed out, an adaptor only allows you to connect your US device to a European electrical outlet. It does not alter the voltage. To change the voltage from the 220-240 supply to the 110 capacity of a device, you need a CONVERTER. If you plug a 110 device into a 220 outlet you will fry your device and quite possibly cause damage to the outlet and wiring. 

Your electronic devices should be dual voltage, so they are safe to use abroad. Leave any single voltage 110 devices such as hair dryers or curling irons at home. Any drugstore will sell dual voltage travel appliances that you can  bring with you.

All we'll have are phones, Apple Watches, Kindles, etc. Just electronics, no hair dryers or curling irons.

Just want to add something new that we learned on our recent cruise. We brought 2 brand new adaptors so we could have multiple items plugged in on the ship and in our hotels in the U.K.

The adaptors worked great EXCEPT they would not work with our polarized plugs so there were certain things we carried that couldn't be plugged in while in the U.K. 

Just a point of awareness.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 9:06 PM, mrgabriel said:

Just want to add something new that we learned on our recent cruise. We brought 2 brand new adaptors so we could have multiple items plugged in on the ship and in our hotels in the U.K.

The adaptors worked great EXCEPT they would not work with our polarized plugs so there were certain things we carried that couldn't be plugged in while in the U.K. 

Just a point of awareness.

That’s a very good point. FWIW, the ones in the photo from the OP look like they are made for polarised plugs.

10 hours ago, lisiamc said:

That’s a very good point. FWIW, the ones in the photo from the OP look like they are made for polarised plugs.

Funny thing is, our new adaptors also look like they will accept polarized plugs. Nope. My boss has the same adaptor & ran into the same problem.