🛳️ Live (hopefully) from Crown Princess May 12 - 23

Coral

Host CJSKIDS
This post was recognized by Host CJSKIDS!

"Thank you for taking the time on your cruise to do a Live From. Bon Voyage and enjoy!"

Coral was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Hi,

We will see how this goes and how internet cooperates with me.

A friend mentioned this cruise in November on a Transatlantic. Then someone else mentioned how good/unique the itinerary is on the Crown Princess this year. I was recovering from surgery and booked this cruise during the time (end of December). Come final payment time – it was iffy if me or my friend would be able to go. We both had things going on and we both made final payment knowing that either of us may have to cancel.  Long story short – my friend is unable to go on the cruise so I am doing this trip solo. I work in education and our semester ended Saturday and I was ready to skip town. I love Alaska and have been frequently but it has been a while since I have been. 

I originally booked a BB balcony on Caribe. I wanted a ME Minisuite on Emerald deck but it was non-refundable deposit. At final payment - I was able to grab the ME minisuite on Emerald deck (covered balcony) as it didn't matter if the deposit was refundable or not at that time. The mini suites were only $100 more and had $100 more OBC but I lost $100 in referral credits in the process so it was a wash.

My least favorite cruise on Princess in the past (ship was) was on the Crown Princess many years ago. I guess we will see how this cruise goes. In Alaska - it is all about itinerary, times in port and not about the ship. I have a great itinerary so I am going to focus on Alaska.

When I first looked at the weather 10 days previously, it looked like snow in Whistler and rain every day. So far, so good weather wise! The weather seems to have turned around. Needless to say – I packed for snow, for rain, for cold, for heat and in case I need a kitchen sink! I even brought a blanket as I don’t like Princess’s comforters.

Monday (May 9th) – I woke up at 3 am, left the house at 4:15 for a 6 am flight to Denver and then to Vancouver for a pre-cruise stay in Whistler and Vancouver and then an 11 night RT cruise on the Crown Princess.

Instead of spending more time in Vancouver, I decided to go back to Whistler. I had been here in 2008. Most people where I live are not familiar with Whistler.

After arriving in Vancouver – I took Whistler Connection to Whistler. I asked if we could stop half way at Shannon Falls: https://dev.bcparks.ca/shannon-falls-park/  for 10 minutes. I had been here previously but didn’t have my camera with me (we had stopped and I didn’t know why we were stopping but the driver thought my dog could use a walk and I had left my camera in the car). I admit – I love Virgin River (tv show) and they show this waterfall all the time on the show. I had to go back. The waterfall is probably a 5 minute walk from the parking lot. I wish I could have spent the entire at the park.

I arrived in Whistler at 5 pm. Checked into Whistler Pan Pacific Village Center for 3 nights This is the same hotel I stayed at last time and loved it back then. I have a one bedroom room which has a fireplace, kitchenette, balcony, fireplace, etc….  Pan Pacific Whistler Village Center

Last time I only had time to explore the lower village and some local trails. I hope on this trip to explore more.

I was dead when I got to the hotel last night. For dinner, I went to the first restaurant I saw – 21 Steps Kitchen and Bar. It is a restaurant that I had scoped out in research before but I was planning on doing it later on on the trip. The food and service was amazing. They had a 3 prix meal special. It was not cheap (though supposedly it was a deal with the special). 

https://www.21steps.ca

I hit the very comfortable bed in my hotel last night and actually got 8 hours of sleep which for me – is unusual and great! I needed it.

Whistler is a gem. It has a ton of summer activities (though known for their winter skiing). I encourage individuals who are interested in pre-cruise stay to consider Whistler in addition to Vancouver. When I made reservations - they asked if I was bringing my skis... I was like "what?". So Whistler mountain is closed for the season but Blackcomb is still available for skiing and there is still snow on the mountain and a little around the village! I was here previously in September time frame.

image.png.9d1de2e66f9fe8322b60da2347e41457.png

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 2.33.03 PM.png

Edited by Coral
  • Like 11

• Coral changed the title to 🛳️ Live (hopefully) from Crown Princess May 12 - 23

Picture of Pan Pacific Village Center (One Bedroom suite on 3rd floor). One picture is the view from my balcony. Previously we had a 2 bedroom and that was quite a bit larger. This is fine. There is a studio and that has a Murphy bed which I didn't want.

IMG_1735.jpeg

IMG_1711.jpeg

IMG_1712.jpeg

IMG_1713.jpeg

IMG_1716.jpeg

IMG_1717.jpeg

IMG_1720.jpeg

IMG_1721.jpeg

IMG_1722.jpeg

IMG_1727.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 7

Thank you so much for “attempting” a live on this trip! I will be on this same itinerary but not until July, and also as a solo. I will be interested to hear of your experiences. All the best as you set sail on Friday! I will be following along, trying hard not to get too excited for my own trip.

• Like 2

Looks like you are off to a great start so far.  We were on Crown on a 15 day and disembarked a week and half ago. Many have commented on her age, and signs of wear.  This wasn't a huge deal for me as my expectations were in line with the Crown class ships.  Food was exceptional in some cases, tasty in most, with a few misses.  We did not go hungry at any time.   What stood out for me, especially with all the sea days we had, was the exceptional staff and onboard activities.  Staff were welcoming, accommodating and cheerful.  I hope you enjoy your cruise on the Crown as much as we did ours.

• Like 6

Thanks for doing this thread!  I'll also be solo on the Crown the last week of June.  Same itinerary more or less, just subbing out Haines for Skagway.  I haven't figured my excursions yet so I'll be very interested in what you choose.  Hope you have a great trip!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Coral said:

Hi,

We will see how this goes and how internet cooperates with me.

A friend mentioned this cruise in November on a Transatlantic. Then someone else mentioned how good/unique the itinerary is on the Crown Princess this year. I was recovering from surgery and booked this cruise during the time (end of December). Come final payment time – it was iffy if me or my friend would be able to go. We both had things going on and we both made final payment knowing that either of us may have to cancel.  Long story short – my friend is unable to go on the cruise so I am doing this trip solo. I work in education and our semester ended Saturday and I was ready to skip town. I love Alaska and have been frequently but it has been a while since I have been. 

I originally booked a BB balcony on Caribe. I wanted a ME Minisuite on Emerald deck but it was non-refundable deposit. At final payment - I was able to grab the ME minisuite on Emerald deck (covered balcony) as it didn't matter if the deposit was refundable or not at that time. The mini suites were only $100 more and had $100 more OBC but I lost $100 in referral credits in the process so it was a wash.

My least favorite cruise on Princess in the past (ship was) was on the Crown Princess many years ago. I guess we will see how this cruise goes. In Alaska - it is all about itinerary, times in port and not about the ship. I have a great itinerary so I am going to focus on Alaska.

When I first looked at the weather 10 days previously, it looked like snow in Whistler and rain every day. So far, so good weather wise! The weather seems to have turned around. Needless to say – I packed for snow, for rain, for cold, for heat and in case I need a kitchen sink! I even brought a blanket as I don’t like Princess’s comforters.

Monday (May 9th) – I woke up at 3 am, left the house at 4:15 for a 6 am flight to Denver and then to Vancouver for a pre-cruise stay in Whistler and Vancouver and then an 11 night RT cruise on the Crown Princess.

Instead of spending more time in Vancouver, I decided to go back to Whistler. I had been here in 2008. Most people where I live are not familiar with Whistler.

After arriving in Vancouver – I took Whistler Connection to Whistler. I asked if we could stop half way at Shannon Falls: https://dev.bcparks.ca/shannon-falls-park/  for 10 minutes. I had been here previously but didn’t have my camera with me (we had stopped and I didn’t know why we were stopping but the driver thought my dog could use a walk and I had left my camera in the car). I admit – I love Virgin River (tv show) and they show this waterfall all the time on the show. I had to go back. The waterfall is probably a 5 minute walk from the parking lot. I wish I could have spent the entire at the park.

I arrived in Whistler at 5 pm. Checked into Whistler Pan Pacific Village Center for 3 nights This is the same hotel I stayed at last time and loved it back then. I have a one bedroom room which has a fireplace, kitchenette, balcony, fireplace, etc….  Pan Pacific Whistler Village Center

Last time I only had time to explore the lower village and some local trails. I hope on this trip to explore more.

I was dead when I got to the hotel last night. For dinner, I went to the first restaurant I saw – 21 Steps Kitchen and Bar. It is a restaurant that I had scoped out in research before but I was planning on doing it later on on the trip. The food and service was amazing. They had a 3 prix meal special. It was not cheap (though supposedly it was a deal with the special). 

https://www.21steps.ca

I hit the very comfortable bed in my hotel last night and actually got 8 hours of sleep which for me – is unusual and great! I needed it.

Whistler is a gem. It has a ton of summer activities (though known for their winter skiing). I encourage individuals who are interested in pre-cruise stay to consider Whistler in addition to Vancouver. When I made reservations - they asked if I was bringing my skis... I was like "what?". So Whistler mountain is closed for the season but Blackcomb is still available for skiing and there is still snow on the mountain and a little around the village! I was here previously in September time frame.

image.png.9d1de2e66f9fe8322b60da2347e41457.png

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 2.33.03 PM.png

Great itinerary!

• Like 1

Thank you for doing this Live report. I will be on the same itinerary on June 2 and it will be my first cruise to Alaska. I was on Crown in the Baltics in 2017 and had a great cruise so are really looking forward to cruising Alaska on her. After the cruise I will be travelling around the Rockies including Whistler, so look forward to your report from there too. I haven't been to Whistler since 2005 and it was winter then so are also looking forward to visiting in summer. Hope you have a great cruise! 🛳️

• Like 1

Tuesday May 9th. I got 18,000 steps in.

Today I started by going up to Upper Whistler Village (I didn't make it up there last time). I secretly love ski villages even though I can't ski (my orthopedic doctor will not allow it due to an old elbow injury). I have a friend in Colorado and often show up randomly and make her take me to mountain towns and ski villages there. I find them stunning. Whistler is a pedestrian only village and is well planned compared to those in Colorado (IMO). Parking lots are on the outskirts and the hotels are on the edges so that transportation can drop people off and the village is reserved for people to walk freely.

I have been intrigued by Four Seasons (ranked #1 hotel) and Fairmont hotel (ranked #2) in Whistler. Some of the pictures made it look like they were somewhat remote. They were not - it was easy to walk to all of the amazing hotels Whistler has. Honestly - if anyone is staying in any Whistler hotel in Upper Village or Lower Village - they are all seem to be in great locations. The hotel I am staying at Pan Pacific Village Center is ranked #5 by most sites. They have a sister location Pan Pacific Mountainside which is at the bottom of the mountain and where the gondolas are. If you stay at Village Center - you can store your skins at Pan Pacific Mountainside.

I have to admit - I found the Four Seasons and Fairmont hotels amazing from the lobbies. Four Seasons was definitely outside of my budget and the Fairmont was fully booked for the days I am here (so not sure if they were in my budget). Also - this is off season so the hotels are probably at the cheapest. I heard someone say they were here in December and they had to buy a $200 pass to just get into bars (not including drink costs). They were telling this to a waiter and she seemed to acknowledge this was true.... I guess there is a reason I travel off season.

There are a ton of really cool restaurants in upper and lower villages. They all look amazing. IMO - lower village has more shops and restaurants. Upper village has the higher end hotels. You can't go wrong staying in either location. It took about 10 minutes to walk from my hotel to upper village along a nice pathway.

• Like 5

Here are some random village pics. Apparently village visitors are not morning people (thus it looks empty). Just to give people a feeling for the area. It is very safe to walk around. Also very clean - I did not notice one bit of trash anywhere. Lots of people with their dogs (my hotel is dog friendly). Lots of restaurants where one can eat outside. When I was having lunch outside - the waiter pointed out the Mayor of Whistler who happened to walk by. It was approx 45 (F) degrees outside which is my perfect temp to be walking outside. Though when I went to eat - it did seem cool so the waiter turned out the fire pits. There is even a kid area to play.

IMG_1846.thumb.jpeg.f1330604fcda6fa5ec9d61d8d1c05ac4.jpegIMG_1844.thumb.jpeg.43e1677b19f32bbf7bf03da506c67687.jpegIMG_1836.thumb.jpeg.9fa09e3050f3e93456457e3e611a665d.jpegIMG_1835.thumb.jpeg.58550fbc07769210c09d0a574210f1ab.jpegIMG_1806.thumb.jpeg.c2990561ac93629548cea5f63d391859.jpegIMG_1804.thumb.jpeg.f6cff5ae7e5e92713dfd28bec81c699e.jpegIMG_1750.thumb.jpeg.579e664ab3a92c4abf17b4b8d347b26c.jpegIMG_1748.thumb.jpeg.27d2ec386ab51944c94f1da3f5c8eb05.jpegIMG_1744.thumb.jpeg.da6f608398f070381411cd36afed62cb.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, EDDY0827 said:

I will be on the Crown May 23rd.

Can you find out how many Chef's Table experiences are held an your cruise and what nights they are held.

Pre-planning and all of that!

TIA

I will ask.

8 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Whistler looks amazing - you chose wisely. Enjoy the rest of your time there and have a fabulous cruise!

There are a lot of trails, hiking paths, golf, lakes, gondola rides, etc..... Definitely too much to do in a short time here. Just glad I made it up to Upper Village and more around Lower Village than I did last time. I found a Dale of Norway shop when seeking out lunch and then tried to re-find it and couldn't.

Haven't figured out what I am doing tomorrow yet. Hopefully something outside with nature. Tomorrow is my last day as my shuttle leaves at 9:45 to go to Vancouver on Thursday.

• Like 4