Early Embarkation? Silver Moon Reykjavik July 14

erikzen

Does Silversea ever allow for early embarkation? Our itinerary says embarkation at 2 PM. Our flight arrives at 9:00 AM. I figure it will probably be around noon if we go straight to the cruise ship. The ship sails at 9 PM. 

Should I head straight for the ship with the hope of getting onboard before 2 PM or will I likely be sitting around a cruise ship terminal for a couple of hours? Would I be better off getting some kind of tour/transfer? 

I'm not keen on spending money on a tour when I will be taking a fantastic 10 day tour that's going to be better than a van ride around Reykjavik. There could also be a flight delay, which may negate the need for spending time on a tour. I was hoping to catch one of the cheaper buses from 

I do know that everyone recommends coming in a day early, so before everyone posts come a day earlier and get a hotel room, that isn't an option unfortunately for various reasons. 

Our party of four lucked out and caught a limo that had just dropped people off at our hotel.  The driver asked if we needed a ride to the cruise terminal and offered less to do it than two cabs would have cost.  It did mean we got to the terminal about noon but at the time we figured we were at least there.  Because of our early arrival we were in the first group and they started check-in around 12:45 PM and we were on board by 1:15 PM.   

• Like 1

If nothing else, check and see if they have a local person on the ground at a hotel.  You could drop off your luggage, perhaps.

ETA: @erikzen What I was getting at is that Reykjavik is a very easy city to explore on your own.  You should have no problem finding a restaurant, bar, museum, etc. where you can kill time.  We spent 3 days there last year (post-cruise) and never left the city. 

The pier is pretty well removed from the city center, but it shouldn't be difficult to find transportation.

Edited by DCPIV
  • Like 1

Gutsy move, flying in the day of the cruise.

Two options. Take the airport bus to the BSI station and check bags there. (But verify!). Walk around town, get a meal or a museum, get sunlight (if any) and then go the the ship. OR go immediately to the Blue Lagoon and then to the ship at your leisure. (I think the Blue Lagoon also checks bags).

Reykjavik has one of the more unusual specialty museums in the world.

Having been to Reykjavik multiple times, I would either do the Blue Lagoon option or take a cab to the ship and leave bags, and if they won't let you board, take the cab into town.  It is very interesting and walkable.  

For what its worth I never, ever fly in the day of the cruise.  These days too much can go wrong.  In Reykjavik there are a lot really interesting of day trips to take and a very cool city to walk around in.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2023 at 5:03 PM, pavementends said:

Reykjavik has one of the more unusual specialty museums in the world.

🤣🤣🤣 Good way to put it! Definitely worth a stop. Certainly unique.

OP: Sometimes you get lucky and the ship is docked right in the middle of the city at the Old Harbor (Miðbakki) but it looks like the Moon is going to dock at the far terminal (Skarfabakki) every time it's there in 2023. Check your sailing here: https://www.faxafloahafnir.is/cruiseships/

As others have said that location is a bit out of town and there's not much to do close by. You can walk the waterfront all the way to the main part of town but it's a bit of a hike. A shame; Reykjavik is a great little city and worth a wander.

The Blue Lagoon is an excellent way to recover from a short overnight flight. We've done that right after landing once. Worth a couple of hours detour there, and then you'd be ready to board.