No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

If you think something nefarious is going on, go to Customer Service and ask to have your bill adjusted because you can’t drink in port.  The rest of all this is speculation.  NCL tells you what’s going on.  You don’t believe them.  No one here is able to help you.  

If no one can help them here, then why are you offering suggestions?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

This is the post that mentions what happened, Southampton gave NCL only 2 days notice to make the payment of the fee to the port authority, which wasn't enough time.

What about Portland or Belfast? 

remains to be seen what the Scottish ports are like for Dawn as of tomorrow. 

Did those port authorise fail to advise NCL in a timely manner? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

You're cheerleading the indefensible so much on here, I'm beginning to think you just like winding people up.  Either that, or you're the type that could be sold sand before a visit to the Sahara, and suck it up when you got there and saw the desert.

Truth!!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm sorry, but I don't believe you. People on board the very ship right now have been given information that contradicts what you've stated, so I believe what they're saying. This information was provided earlier in the thread.

You're winding us up. You must be. 😂

I was on the ship last week. I live in the UK. There are no such restrictions 

And funnily enough there was no mention about there being insufficient time to sort it out. We were categorically told by staff that the reason they weren't serving alcohol was because the UK had changed the law.

Edited by Pooston
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

What about Portland or Belfast? 

remains to be seen what the Scottish ports are like for Dawn as of tomorrow. 

Did those port authorise fail to advise NCL in a timely manner? 

There was no alcohol served in Portland on Saturday (we were on the Dawn). 

We were served alcohol in Belfast.  However, I understand those on the Star weren't 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

That's the line but had they forgot that the exact same thing had happened on the Dawn 7 days prior. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

And we were on the Dawn and were told by the staff that the reason no alcohol was being served was because the UK laws had changed. We were never told that it was because they didn't have sufficient time to pay any fees 😂😂

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

you were not even allowed the free Platinum bottle.

That seems ridiculous.  You were not buying the free wine.    

Last week in Italy (Trieste)  those who had bought packages could still drink whilst in territorial waters.  you just could not ‘buy’ drinks.  

• Like 1

I am getting really frustrated reading all this (eyes are not rolling but steam is coming out of my ears - I bet his wife can't do that😂)

I will be so unhappy to get onboard to find out my cruise (embarking in Southampton and then doing the western coast of EU, including 3 stops in Spain) will be dry those days while in port.  I also don't think I should have to purchase and bring on wine when I have already paid for this service.  Btw, obviously NCL is not only saving on the "taxes" they are not paying to HMRC and other port authorities but also saving on the alcohol/wine/beer they are not serving on those days - a hefty savings I would say and then add back in the money they have already collected in gratuities...so their mistake/oversight/incompetence results in $$$ in their coffers.  It should go without saying but they need to weigh that against people who will make other cruise line decisions.  Many will - without notice or fanfare.  So shortsighted in a customer SERVICE industry.

So, does anyone have a brilliant idea for what we can do ahead of time to let NCL know of our advanced knowledge of the situation and disapproval?  Social media posts, chat on the NCL site, customer service calls?  I feel I need to try to do or say something and maybe if a lot of us do that we can help fix the issue for everyone's upcoming sailings.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TexasTraveler18 said:

I

So, does anyone have a brilliant idea for what we can do ahead of time to let NCL know of our advanced knowledge of the situation and disapproval?  Social media posts, chat on the NCL site, customer service calls?  I feel I need to try to do or say something and maybe if a lot of us do that we can help fix the issue for everyone's upcoming sailings.

Lots of social media exposure - think Bud Light.😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TexasTraveler18 said:

I am getting really frustrated reading all this (eyes are not rolling but steam is coming out of my ears - I bet his wife can't do that😂)

I will be so unhappy to get onboard to find out my cruise (embarking in Southampton and then doing the western coast of EU, including 3 stops in Spain) will be dry those days while in port.  I also don't think I should have to purchase and bring on wine when I have already paid for this service.  Btw, obviously NCL is not only saving on the "taxes" they are not paying to HMRC and other port authorities but also saving on the alcohol/wine/beer they are not serving on those days - a hefty savings I would say and then add back in the money they have already collected in gratuities...so their mistake/oversight/incompetence results in $$$ in their coffers.  It should go without saying but they need to weigh that against people who will make other cruise line decisions.  Many will - without notice or fanfare.  So shortsighted in a customer SERVICE industry.

Maybe contact a national newspaper?

3 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

If you bring your own Wine/Champagne on board are you still allowed to drink it in public areas or with meals? 

The way this is panning out, would they dare stop you? (posted tongue-in-cheek)

8 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

Lots of social media exposure - think Bud Light.😉

I’ve reached out to a few cruise “influencers” to highlight the issues and to see if their contacts can perhaps shed any more light. 

we’ll see what that does, I expect nothing but it’s worth sharing to as many people as possible. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TexasTraveler18 said:

Given the fact that people actually pay for the "free" drinking package it seems a reasonable thing to contact news media that cover the travel industry about customers not being refunded for the service that NCL did not render.  I know people have tried to contact the media over NCL their dropping ports on the January 8th Getaway cruise for environmental reasons and and continuing to advertise the original itinerary and they also cancelled Costa Rica for safety reasons and replaced it Acapulco.  Those stories didn't have traction, but maybe a British newspaper would be willing to cover this since it involves Brits being denied their pints on holiday.  You'd need to email the journalists that normally cover travel.      

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

If you bring your own Wine/Champagne on board are you still allowed to drink it in public areas or with meals? 

This is ridicules what's next? They (NCL) must step up and change their sloppiness so people can get what they had paid for.... 

4 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

I’ve reached out to a few cruise “influencers” to highlight the issues and to see if their contacts can perhaps shed any more light. 

we’ll see what that does, I expect nothing but it’s worth sharing to as many people as possible. 

Please post on this thread if you learn anything. Thanks!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Given the fact that people actually pay for the "free" drinking package it seems a reasonable thing to contact news media that cover the travel industry about customers not being refunded for the service that NCL did not render.  I know people have tried to contact the media over NCL their dropping ports on the January 8th Getaway cruise for environmental reasons and and continuing to advertise the original itinerary and they also cancelled Costa Rica for safety reasons and replaced it Acapulco.  Those stories didn't have traction, but maybe a British newspaper would be willing to cover this since it involves Brits being denied their pints on holiday.  You'd need to email the journalists that normally cover travel.      

I do like this idea but I am in Texas and think local media won't care that much about a foreign registered company. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TexasTraveler18 said:

I do like this idea but I am in Texas and think local media won't care that much about a foreign registered company. 

NCL are a US company.

Edit - sorry I think your right actually, but their headquarters are in the US.

Edited by KeithJenner

30 minutes ago, Pooston said:

And we were on the Dawn and were told by the staff that the reason no alcohol was being served was because the UK laws had changed. We were never told that it was because they didn't have sufficient time to pay any fees 😂😂

Wonder what the company line was in Southampton yesterday on the May 14th Dawn cruise....another story pointing the finger at someone else I suspect.

22 hours ago, Pooston said:

No. Belfast was in the middle of the cruise. Portland was the last day. The only 'issue' is NCL not wanting to iat port taxes for serving drinks 

And save the cost of the liquor poured...... The New NCL.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Given the fact that people actually pay for the "free" drinking package it seems a reasonable thing to contact news media that cover the travel industry about customers not being refunded for the service that NCL did not render.

I may be in the minority here, but I couldn't care less about any refunds.  I want the full cruise experience.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1