Guarantee room

snowy owl

Hi All, I booked a cruise for September on the Horizon and got a balcony. The only option was room to be assigned. I have never had that before. I understand that It could take till even the day of the cruise to get a room. But I was wanting to hear from others that have had this. Since I booked a balcony what are the chances I get something else like an extended balcony, harbor balcony, spa balcony, or suits? Does the happen? It says the suites are sold out too. I'm platinum too, if that matters at all. Any and all info you got I would appreciate. 

Edited by snowy owl

Slim. And your Platinum status literally means nothing.

Expect a good old fashioned 'normal' balc. You didn't mention a particular ship but it certainly could end up being a Cove, perhaps our favorite.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Slim. And your Platinum status literally means nothing.

Expect a good old fashioned 'normal' balc. You didn't mention a particular ship but it certainly could end up being a Cove, perhaps our favorite.

Thanks I just fixed that. I'm cruising on Horizon.

• Like 1

I'm so neurotic about room location that it wasn't until my 25th cruise that I finally went for balcony guarantee.  We ended up with a cove balcony (with the dining room above us) on the Dream and absolutely loved it.  We came home and immediately booked another cove balcony (on Horizon) in a similar location.

As far as when you will receive your room assignment, we got ours much earlier than I expected.  On the Dream it was about 75 days out, and on the Vista about 50 days prior.

45 minutes ago, Cruise4Jesus said:

We have done numerous guarantee cabins and never disappointed, including numerous upgrades. Always came out with a better cabin or category then paid for.

That's good.  We only did it one time several years ago and got stuck on deck six near the dance club.  We could hear the subs going until the early morning hours.  Haven't done it again since.  We just pick the rooms we want and if those aren't available, we don't book.

On 5/11/2023 at 3:10 PM, snowy owl said:

Hi All, I booked a cruise for September on the Horizon and got a balcony. The only option was room to be assigned. I have never had that before. I understand that It could take till even the day of the cruise to get a room. But I was wanting to hear from others that have had this. Since I booked a balcony what are the chances I get something else like an extended balcony, harbor balcony, spa balcony, or suits? Does the happen? It says the suites are sold out too. I'm platinum too, if that matters at all. Any and all info you got I would appreciate. 

If you are going to get an upgrade of any kind, it will likely be in your specific category - not to a whole other category.  Meaning a Balcony starts out at an 8A (which you likely paid slightly less than what this would have cost you straight up by purchasing a "guarantee" room), you might end up in an 8B or 8C or something like that.  Slightly higher deck in more favorable location (which they consider middle better than ends).

We have done it maybe 5 or 6 times.  Most times been very happy with room, and got "upgrades" as I mentioned above.  Only once not happy with room location, but that's the chance you take to get the better price.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have booked "balcony guarantee" a handful of times.  I usually did not receive the room # until about 3 weeks out from cruise (but was before time to register - two weeks out).  I have only once received an upgrade to an extended balcony.  But I have also not ever been upset with my location either.  Definitely don't have high hopes but no need for concern IMO either.

• Like 1

Upgrades on a Guarantee can happen. On one cruise I booked an inside guarantee and was assigned an ocean view. It's only happened once to me, out of maybe 5 or 6 cruises that I booked a guarantee.

The VAST majority of times one gets exactly what one books. Do note that there are 3 categories: Inside, Oceanview and Balcony. Options aren't sliced more granularly. I don't believe there's a Suite Gty but I could be incorrect.

• Like 1

I have had good luck with guarantee rooms as well. I am always nervous they'll give me a room right under the disco or something but it's never happened so far. I book guarantee rooms often.

This is my first time booking a guarantee room. We sail in less than a month. I don't much care which room we get. I'm just anxious to see which one we will be in. I'm not very good with patience. The price was too good to not to a TBA room. We are only paying for fees and taxes.

• Like 3

On 5/11/2023 at 2:10 PM, snowy owl said:

With most of Carnival's ships booked near capacity, you should expect to get a balcony and probably not an upgrade,  Carnival will try to sell upgrades to other balcony passengers first, maximize revenue that way.  

On 3/14/2024 at 9:15 AM, ChinaShrek said:

Does anyone know if a Balcony Guarantee could be a Cove Balcony cabin or are they excluded?

We've only booked one Balcony Guarantee, and we got a cove balcony under the dining room (absolutely loved it!) and now I'm hooked - it's my favorite.  I'd been on over 30 cruises at that point, and felt like I'd been missing out having never tried one.😄