Grand Princess library

MNLIvin

Anyone that may have been on the Grand Princess recently, still have a library and does it have any books? Been on a couple Carnival ships and found you better bring something from home.  Thanks once again.

The Grand does have a designated library but like most Princess ships its very limited. Not like in the past.    I think most people stop by just to see what others have donated to the Library.  If you have a few good paperback or hard back you would like to leave for others please do so,   

7 minutes ago, MNLIvin said:

Anyone that may have been on the Grand Princess recently, still have a library and does it have any books? Been on a couple Carnival ships and found you better bring something from home.  Thanks once again.

We were on the Grand last September and there were a few books in where they stored the games. It is NOT like in the past when I knew I could count on grabbing something good to read. Now, I just add a few to my Kindle before we leave for our trip.

Apparently I am a quaint antique as I kind of prefer a book to my eBook. I was just hoping I could find something on board instead of hauling two weeks worth of books. I usually just bring novels,(I.E. Sanford or Childs) and just leave them there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

So many people now use eBooks - and even audiobooks - that the paper versions almost seem like quaint antiques. 

Contrary to what the ebook fans claim most adults still prefer a paper book including a lot of cruise passengers.

The share of adults who have read print books in the past 12 months still outpaces the share using other forms, but 30% now say they have read an e-book in that time frame.  

4 minutes ago, dockman said:

Contrary to what the ebook fans claim most adults still prefer a paper book including a lot of cruise passengers.

The share of adults who have read print books in the past 12 months still outpaces the share using other forms, but 30% now say they have read an e-book in that time frame.  

I like a paperback too, but I have to admit that an e-reader can take up a lot less space.

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I like a paperback too, but I have to admit that an e-reader can take up a lot less space.

yes but i just don't get it with all the space on a cruise ship that they can't at least set aside a few hundred square feet for some book shelves.... even if they are too cheap to provide hard back books then at least have a paperback library with a few hundred books....i have left/donated a lot of books over the years as have many many other cruisers...of course the wonderful days of having a library with nice lighting and seating  would be even nicer but i realize the bean counters would much prefer to have yet more shop space selling a variety of t shirts, cups, refrigerator magnets and such valuable merchandise...though have to say it certainly seems they have just plenty of space already for all that "stuff".

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, jmelnick said:

I've never seen the "Tea Lounge" open. Just some old stale tea left in the display area.  I'm a tea lover, having this open would be great. The stuff from the IC is barely acceptable.

The interface between "innovative new venues" and the actual onboard execution and operation of these facilities is pretty spotty for Princess it seems.  If a venue or program doesn't have a direct return on investment, PCL management is quick to abandon.  Since the US is pretty ambivalent toward tea in general (compared to much of the rest of the world) I imagine that this venue never earned the money to cover its cost, much less station an employee there.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, retiredcat said:

Does the grand princess have daily crossword and sudoku in the library?

We've been on sailings where the CD Staff is good about putting them out, then cruises none to be seen. On the Grand about a year ago, they were hit and miss. You could ask on the current thread where the AC is out on the ship, but unless you're embarking soon, would still open to question. Depends on the staff. I bring a book because the staff puts out puzzles without knowing level. One Sudoku may be child's play, the next diabolical.

1 hour ago, retiredcat said:

Does the grand princess have daily crossword and sudoku in the library?

Yes.  We got Sudoku every day.  They had 3 levels of difficulty on each sheet.    Had the crossword and another brain teaser too.  All located in Tea Leaves/Library.

Edited by coo359a2
  • Thanks 1