Is it too late to change a passenger for a cruise leaving 5/20?

My son just shared he may not be able to join us on our VOTS 5/20-5/25 out of Galveston.  It is work related, not medical, etc.

He is the lead on our second stateroom (the room was to be shared with sisters 18, 17, and 13).  DH and I are in connecting room with another child.

Are we toast bc he is the lead, or will we be ok as my DD is 18?

Is there any way we could invite someone in his spot, or is it just too stinking close.  

It is what it is... but I want to make sure if there is something we can do to increase the return on our investment I want to do as much as we can.

We do have insurance, but it isn't cancel for any reason.  It is more medical or emergency based.

Thank you for your help!

@Ourusualbeachwould know. I would guess it's getting close if you sail this Saturday. I'd be contacting whomever I booked with.

I would be careful cancelling 1 of 4 in a cabin. It might be tricky to cancel and use insurance. You dont want to affect the other 3 in the cabin. I assume you have someone in mind to switch with him. 

We have a similar case due to a breakup. My understanding only one person has to stay on the reservation and the other people can be changed. But be careful canceling anyone as it could cause a reprice.

We were told not to do anything and just have a no show at the port.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

My son just shared he may not be able to join us on our VOTS 5/20-5/25 out of Galveston.  It is work related, not medical, etc.

He is the lead on our second stateroom (the room was to be shared with sisters 18, 17, and 13).  DH and I are in connecting room with another child.

Is there any way we could invite someone in his spot, or is it just too stinking close.  

It is what it is... but I want to make sure if there is something we can do to increase the return on our investment I want to do as much as we can.

We do have insurance, but it isn't cancel for any reason.  It is more medical or emergency based.

Thank you for your help!

When I had this happen and called Royal about 5 days before, they told me they could make the name change up to 3 days prior, not including the sail date.  So that would be tomorrow for yours, if that's still what they allow.  I'm pretty sure that as long as one person in the room is from the original booking, it can be done.  Obviously any cruise planner things get canceled and replacing them might be more expensive--and also have a deadline of probably tomorrow.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Obviously any cruise planner things get canceled and replacing them might be more expensive--and also have a deadline of probably tomorrow.  

Our cruise planner items just changed to the new person.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drjohn4 said:

You might want to check your travel insurance policy, some have cancel for work reason provisions even if there is no cancel for any reason.

The only problem with this is cancelling .. he cant cancel without affecting the other 3 in the cabin. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Thank you for your help!

You can change names until the manifest submitted which varies but generally 24-48 hours prior to sailing which is why I always recommend 3 days prior or you can just leave it with the 3 of them.  It does not matter if he was the lead guest.  if a non adult (21) does not take his place the comment below applies

If the cabin is next door to or directly across the hall from you then you can put a minor in the room.  If the room is not adjacent or directly across the hall you will need to move an adult (over 21) into the room.

If you do a name change then the person whose name gets added will get all of his cruise planner purchases as cruise planner purchases are tied to the berth # in the room and not the actual guest

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If the cabin is next door to or directly across the hall from you then you can put a minor in the room.

OP said they have connecting cabins so no issue there going by your post.

• Like 1

Thank you all. 
I need to figure this out ASAP. 

sounds like I should decide if I’d rather just have him be a no show or work quickly to get another person in that spot. 

the first is obviously easier. It may be better just to absorb the monies lost Vs putting a friend in there. 

Thank you. 
Who doesn’t love a challenge?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Who doesn’t love a challenge?

At least you seem to be handling it as well as possible. Hope you have a great cruise, however this works out!

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1